You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A tribute to Legend Entertainment games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
Senior Automaton

Default A tribute to Legend Entertainment games

The games made by Legend in the late 80s to early 90s are sadly neglected by adventure gamers. While they have a somewhat cult audience, the bulk of adventure fans will not have played them. Those who have played them will look back on them with no small amount of nostalgia. I feel they surely deserve a place alongside Lucasarts games, Kings Quests and Gabriel Knights.

So to all new initiates and nostalgics, let's embark with a guided tour through these classic games!

Spellcasting

A series of 3 games, you are a student sorcerer plunged into a save-the-world situation. There are very funny jokes and situations throughout the whole game, which uses a zork-like text interface where you type in what you want to do, but this was updated later to a selection from a list of verbs.

Eric The Unready

This is an hilarious zork-like medieval adventure. It has a great interface where you select from a long list of verbs and also has a list of objects - no pixel hunting! You get a map as well, so no getting lost. Overall a fantastic experience everyone should try.

Gateway 1 + 2

Two games which are basically one split into two parts. The interface is similar to Eric, and the sci-fi themes are fascinating and very involving with the ability to explore many locations and worlds.

Companions of Xanth

One of the funniest games ever made, it's a fantasy adventure where you are sent a game from a friend, and upon starting it up you are sucked into your computer into the world of Xanth. The interface is improved from earlier games. Lots of lateral thinking puzzles. You can click an action on literally anything and get a humorous response.

Death Gate

A more serious game than Xanth, but still highly entertaining. It's based on a series of fantasy books, so if you're into elves and dwarves you'll love this. The graphics have improved from Xanth and is also on the easier side.

Shannara

The last of the fantasy games from Legend and the last one to use the same interface, this one involves some (very minor) RPG elements like combat. Great graphics, voice acting and story.

Mission Critical

Back to the sci-fi theme, this one features real actors including Michael Dorn from Star Trek. The universe they managed to create is vibrant and unique, with an amazing story.

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

My personal favorite, a quirky and hilarious journey through time and space. You will meet all kinds of zany characters and solve puzzles to save the universe. This really is a must play game for any adventure fan.

Last edited by Oscar; 09-09-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

Aahhhh.... great thread!

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is my favorite too, but I haven't played/finished all the Legend adventures. You forgot(?) my second favorite one: Timequest.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Barroom hero

They made an awesome transition from parser games to purely graphic games.
The parser still can scare some modern players too, sadly.

My favorite is Eric, I think, and the least interesting to me is probably Shannara.
(Didn't play Mission Critical though)

Lots of nostalgia, once more

Edit : And of course Fien is as always the gourmet elite of AdventureGamers

Last edited by Tramboi; 09-09-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Automaton

Yes I must play Timequest. I haven't finished all the Spellcasting games either. For the record, my 2nd favorite is Companions of Xanth.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Stalker of Britain

Oooh, Eric the Unready looks cool! Um, I don't mean the naked girl, I mean the medieval setting.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #6

Glad to know somebody else remember this wonderful adventure company!

Legend produced lots of excellent games in every single genre. By the way, you forgot to mention Blackstone Chronicles, a tribute to John Saul and horror genre. One of the best psychological horrors in the history of PC gaming in my opinion.

But my favourite games are TimeQuest (what a concept!), Death Gate and the 2nd Gateway game.

You should probably also mention a talanted designer team that contributed to Legend: Bob Bates and Steve Meretzky of Infocom fame, Glen Dahlgren, Mike Verdu, Josh Mandel, Corey and Lori Coles and more.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #7

Great thread. Really like Legend Entertainment. And I just playing Callahan and Shannara - best way to learn english My favourite is Mission Critical, but Death Gate and Blackstone were also amazing adventures.

I will add Superhero League of Hoboken to the list.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #8

Well done Oscar!

Legend games are.. well - legendary, and while i agree they are underrated to some extent, i also feel they are collectively often praised as sort of a "bridge" between plain text adventures of 80s and later graphic revolution by LucasArts, Sierra and others.

Of course, still a lot of text in the interface can prove tiresome to those players who grew up on smart cursor (and that's the reason where we might look for the "underrated" factor), but there's definitely some special fun with it. Personally though, - i prefer Shannara to Eric the Unready interface, but those older titles have even bigger sense of freedom, like any other text adventure.

My personal favorite is Companions of Xanth with a magnificent atmosphere combining fantasy and humor with a lot of puns

but also when i started playing Shannara recently, i was stunned at high value of it, from dialogues to splendid graphics. And of course, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon with its smart references to pop culture.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Senior *female* member

Question about Timequest removed. What's the point, even the people who claim TQ is their favorite Legend game are silent.

Last edited by Fien; 09-10-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #10

Any tips on getting Callahan's Crosstime Saloon to work on XP?

No Starship Titanic or Blackstone Chronicles in your list? I agree they are one of the most unappreciated AG developers.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
DOSbox.

Quote:
No Starship Titanic or Blackstone Chronicles in your list? I agree they are one of the most unappreciated AG developers.
Starship Titanic was not made by Legend Entertainment.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Grue Master

http://adventure.if-legends.org/Legend_Entertainment_Company.html
Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I posted this here a while back on the anniversary of its release:

New Callahan's Crosstime Saloon DOSBox Installer
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
MovieStar Adventurer!

Eric The Unready looks interesting I'll have to try that one. TimeQuest was awesome. Thanks for this thread!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Question about Timequest removed. What's the point, even the people who claim TQ is their favorite Legend game are silent.
I hope to play it in the next couple of weeks, as I'm working my way through the ones I haven't played, namely Spellcasting 201 and 301 and Timequest. Blackstone too, hopefully.

Although, for those with a moral conscience hesitant to play it I don't blame them considering the price, and especially if their computer lacks a 5.25" floppy drive.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Timequest...item1c1e295c7c

Me, I think I'll just download it.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I wish I could answer your questions (about the ending?), Fien, but I never played TQ to finish it. I played it for the experience. Just mocking different historical leaders like Hitler or Churchill is enough to claim it my fav) And the complicated concept is really cool, but the game seems too time-consuming to play straight to the end. Hope it doesn't sound very weird.

Oscar
There's always an excellent The Lost Adventures bundle And it's worth the money!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Senior Automaton

Really? 100 dollars? Considering Legend's been dead for 10 years I think if I had any moral qualms, (which I don't) I'd rather download them and send some cash to Meretzky and the other talents involved. Better than some ebay profiteer.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #18

You can try out one from Amazon for just 55 bucks) But I see your point. I also hate to pay lots of money just for the rarity.
Although I would pay 100$ for a new Legend adventure game, oh yes!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #19

Ooh, this thread is a feast for the eyes. I've been intrigued by many of these games for a long time, but almost all of them are so expensive at ebay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Although I would pay 100$ for a new Legend adventure game, oh yes!
Sure, if I could find a brand new, complete release with low shipping cost, I might spend that much. But not on every title! Also, the auction you posted doesn't even include the box. No way is that worth $100.

There is another reason I haven't been all over these games the way I perhaps should. Since most of the designers come directly from Infocom, I suspect many of the games share some of the hair-pulling aspects with their IF forefathers. Dead ends, unforeseeable death scenes, struggling with the text parser, you name it.

Blackstone Chronicles didn't have anything like that, and that was a great game. I've been curious about the rest of Legend's catalogue for a long time, and all those screenshots definitely don't make me think otherwise. But I doubt all of them will be able to match Blackstone.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #20
tsa
Playing character

I played the first Sourcerers game all the way through. It was fun though I played it so long ago that I don't remember much more about it. There was a whale involved IIRC...