You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Locations from Barrow Hill and The Lost Crown in real life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default Locations from Barrow Hill and The Lost Crown in real life

As some of you know, I have been to Cornwall last week with my father to see some of the locations in The Lost Crown and Barrow Hill for real. It is enormous fun to visit these places and it adds extra dimensions to the real locations as well as the locations in-game. I will post a few pictures here.

Big warning: if you have not played the games and do not want to be spoiled leave now! This thread is full of spoilers and nothing but spoilers.

For starters: the petrol station of Barrow Hill. It looks almost totally different in real life.

The other game starts at SedgeMarsh station, which is NOT based on the station between Looe and Polperro, as mentioned in this thread, but is actually Looe Station before 1968. There is a model of it in the museum in Looe:

The next location you will visit in Barrow Hill will probably be St. Anneka's Well. This is based on St. Keyne's Well near Keyne and St. Cuby's well near Duloe.
St. Keyne's Well:

That's my father on the picture. The poor man never plays AGs and had to endure all of this.

St. Cuby's Well is hidden underneath some low branches quite close to the edge of a busy road. I spotted the sign just in time and was able to park the car in a dirt road close by to be able to shoot pictures. I'm quite sure only freaks visit St. Cuby's Well because you have to be quite mad to risk your life for it:

Quite close to St. Cuby's well is Duloe's stone circle, which is mentioned in a booklet you find somewhere in Barrow Hill. The stone circle in Barrow Hill is entirely fictional as far as I know.

I will post more pictures tomorrow!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
an angel of romance

Wow, it looks so exciting to be there tsa. Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 240
Size:  2.2 KB Can't wait for you to post more
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 08-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Lazy Bee

Great pics tsa! I think the stones in the stone circle do resemble the shapes of the stones in the Barrow Hill-stone circle.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Stalker of Britain

:drool: The well looks the same, but the petrol station looks totally differen! 0.0
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Senior Automaton

That station looks new. It might have had a makeover if it looked the way it did in Barrow Hill
Old 08-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
tsa
Playing character

I thought of that too. It looks too different from the one in the game.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
tsa
Playing character

I don't have more locations from Barrow Hill, so the rest is all from TLC.
I'm not sure but I think this is what Jonathan used for The Bear:

Here is Harbour Cottage:

I think this is Nanny Noah's house:
Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
tsa
Playing character

The Museum in Saxton:

and the big house where the cats were skinned:

That's about it from Polperro/Saxton. I'll post pictures of other locations later.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Stalker of Britain

Uga....so beautiful. I'm going to stay in a Bed and Breakfast in Polperro almost a week, and thuroughly exlpore Saxt...I mean, Polperrp.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
tsa
Playing character

You'd better stay in or near Looe and drive back and forth. Looe has more good restaurants and is more fun.

Any requests for more pictures?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #11

Yes! Here!
Show us all your pictures, please. I love them.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #12

Ooh! This makes me look forward to my trip to Polperro in Semptember even more!!

Here's a question for tsa: I'll be getting a british SIM card for my phone, rather than getting a crappy roaming plan with my own italian provider. Would you happen to know which operator has the best reception in the town of Polperro itself? I've read something about Orange, but they were all old forum threads, and maybe things have changed. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
tsa
Playing character

O, I don't remember what my phone said when I was there ZeframCochrane. Sorry . But in many places in Cornwall there was no reception at all, that I do remember.

OK, more pictures, on popular request.
We also went to the church in Duloe, where you have to find the hands of the guy who was lying there in the church:

We tried to find the other church where you had to play the organ too but even with its coordinates programmed in our navigation device we couldn't find it. Maybe it disappears when you look for it.

The Museum in Looe contains things that are displayed in the museum in Saxton as well as in Gruel's antique shop:

The last picture I have is of Martello Tower. Why it's called a tower in the game is a mystery to me. It's at the end of the quay in Looe:
Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #14

Some nice pics. Glad you had a good time visiting all the locations. I've got a video documentary for the Lost Crown locations on the way weighing in at around 2 hours!
A few points:
All the Barrow Hill locations were inspired by the actual places, but are not total replicas. For example, St Anneka's well is an amalgamation of three wells! Or the petrol station, which has very little resemblance.
Yep, that building is the exterior of the bear, though Jonathan seems to have done some CG work to get the scene angle in the game. The interior in the game is from The Plough Inn at Duloe, a few metres from the lane to the stone circle.
Nope, that's not Nanny Noah's. Her house is Smugglers Cottage near House on the Props cafe, exactly as shown in the game.
The museum is interesting, but the exterior in the game is a property agent office just up the path from Smugglers Cottage.
Actually, Sandplace IS Sedgemarsh Station. Check the making of map on the game website and my extensive collection of photos on Flickr. It's the same building, same size, and Jonathan has confirmed it.
Ulcombe Church is at Talland Bay, walking distance from Polperro, or down one of the lanes off the main road between Polperro and Looe by car.
Yep, Banjo Pier is just a pier, not really a martello tower. The round shape is quite similar to a martello tower. Jonathan included it to tie in with the martello tower that features in A Warning to the Curious by MR James.

ZeframCochrane:I've found O2 have the best signal, and I can't get any reception in Polperro at all. Even Looe is patchy and slow for data, but Polperro is in a giant sink hole with all the hills and cliffs surrounding it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by amunptah View Post
Some nice pics. Glad you had a good time visiting all the locations. I've got a video documentary for the Lost Crown locations on the way weighing in at around 2 hours!
I guess you live in the neighbourhood then!

Quote:
A few points:
All the Barrow Hill locations were inspired by the actual places, but are not total replicas. For example, St Anneka's well is an amalgamation of three wells!
Really? Which one is the third then? I thought the ones I visited were the only ones that were used.

Quote:
Or the petrol station, which has very little resemblance.
Yep, that building is the exterior of the bear, though Jonathan seems to have done some CG work to get the scene angle in the game. The interior in the game is from The Plough Inn at Duloe, a few metres from the lane to the stone circle.
Nope, that's not Nanny Noah's. Her house is Smugglers Cottage near House on the Props cafe, exactly as shown in the game.
The museum is interesting, but the exterior in the game is a property agent office just up the path from Smugglers Cottage.
Hm, it looks like we missed a small part of Polperro then.

Quote:
Actually, Sandplace IS Sedgemarsh Station. Check the making of map on the game website and my extensive collection of photos on Flickr. It's the same building, same size, and Jonathan has confirmed it.
I'm not convinced. The building is smaller than in the game, and in the replica I photographed in the museum the white fence runs exactly as in the game. I guess Jonathan 'merged' the two because the roof of Sandplace station is indeed much more like the one in Sedgemarsh, but the surroundings of the building in the game are more like the replica.

Quote:
Ulcombe Church is at Talland Bay, walking distance from Polperro, or down one of the lanes off the main road between Polperro and Looe by car.
I know, we went there but for some reason we didn't find it. I think it really disappeared when we came near. In the museum in Looe there was a ghost story about a disappearing stable, complete with horse and owner, so why not a church?

Quote:
Yep, Banjo Pier is just a pier, not really a martello tower. The round shape is quite similar to a martello tower. Jonathan included it to tie in with the martello tower that features in A Warning to the Curious by MR James.
O, I thought MArtello was a name. According to Wikipedia there are no martello towers at all in Cornwall.

Thanks for your comments! I look forward to the video.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #16

Quote:
ZeframCochrane:I've found O2 have the best signal, and I can't get any reception in Polperro at all. Even Looe is patchy and slow for data, but Polperro is in a giant sink hole with all the hills and cliffs surrounding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
O, I don't remember what my phone said when I was there ZeframCochrane. Sorry . But in many places in Cornwall there was no reception at all, that I do remember.
Thanks guys. I guess it'll be a full-on detox from technology for me, then. =P
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #17

Quote:
I guess you live in the neighbourhood then!
I live in the SE of the UK, so its about 3 hours drive down to the game locations. I usually stay over, but I have done a couple of day trips.

Quote:
Really? Which one is the third then? I thought the ones I visited were the only ones that were used.
That would be St Nonna's, or Nun's Well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomrbay...7623098901353/
That's where a lot of the pagan/New Age ideas come from that feature in the game, as you'll quickly see from all the icons and offerings dotted around the well house.

Quote:
Hm, it looks like we missed a small part of Polperro then.
Yep. Where you took the photo of Harbour Cottage there is a little hump back bridge with the Lighthouse Cafe/House on the Props on the corner. Turn left at the cafe, and head up the hill. Nanny Noah's is on the left and the museum exterior a little further up the hill on the right. I can't belive you missed it while you were there, as everything is exactly the same as in the game. I guess if you haven't played it in a while it can be hard to remember.

Quote:
I'm not convinced. The building is smaller than in the game, and in the replica I photographed in the museum the white fence runs exactly as in the game. I guess Jonathan 'merged' the two because the roof of Sandplace station is indeed much more like the one in Sedgemarsh, but the surroundings of the building in the game are more like the replica.
http://www.darklingroom.co.uk/thelos...sedgemarsh.htm
Need I say more? Practically every station in the country had a white picket fence during the age of steam.

Quote:
I know, we went there but for some reason we didn't find it. I think it really disappeared when we came near. In the museum in Looe there was a ghost story about a disappearing stable, complete with horse and owner, so why not a church?
Did you make it to Talland Bay? The church is on the hill east of the bay, but as it is high up above the beach and the road, it can be easy to miss if you come from certain directions. You can be less than 50 metres from it on the coast path and be unable to see it because of the steep slope of the cliffs!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #18
tsa
Playing character

OK, I believe you concerning the station. And about Talland Bay: we must have been very close to the church because we did make it to Talland Bay but we still missed it. So that stays on the list of things to see .