Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Once commercially available, now free (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/29508-once-commercially-available-now-free.html)

Afterburn 08-17-2011 07:29 AM

Once commercially available, now free

I would love to get an overview of pure adventure games that once were commercially available for purchase, but afterwards rereleased and downloadable for free. Just these, I'm not talking about games that were freeware from the beginning, unofficial games, fan remakes, illegal downloads or whatsoever.

The few ones I know (and probably most of you know them) are

Beneath a Steel Sky (gog.com)
Dragonsphere (gog.com)
Flight of the Amazon Queen (scummvm.org)
Lure of the Temptress (gog.com)
TeenAgent (gog.com)

So, did I miss (m)any?

colpet 08-17-2011 07:43 AM

Uru Live
Fool's Errand

Harald B 08-17-2011 09:30 AM

Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die!

Ascovel 08-17-2011 10:34 AM

Les Miserables: http://enterthestory.com/

Arial Type 08-17-2011 10:56 AM

Frederik Pohl's Gateway by Legend Entertainment was released free back in 1993 I think, with the release of the second part.
There are also games released specifically for SCUMM along with Beneath a Steel Sky - Drascula and some weird Czech game.
Christy Marx and Al Lowe shared Conquests of Longbow and Freddy Pharkas, respectively, with their fans. So everyone considers them freeware)

And don't forget wonderful puzzle games like an early DROD and Fish Fillets.

Collector 08-17-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 587939)
There are also games released specifically for SCUMM along with Beneath a Steel Sky - Drascula and some weird Czech game.
Christy Marx and Al Lowe shared Conquests of Longbow and Freddy Pharkas, respectively, with their fans. So everyone considers them freeware)

Not to nitpick, but by SCUMM I take it that you mean ScummVM. SCUMM is the engine that LA used to make Maniac Mansion, the MI and Indy games.

Also, Christy Marx and Al Lowe do not own the IP of those games. They are illegally distributing them, but Activision is either unaware or does not care. Either way, they are not freeware. As you noted, the games available on scummvm.org have been freewared. This has been done by the IP owners.

Arial Type 08-17-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 587942)
Not to nitpick, but by SCUMM I take it that you mean ScummVM. SCUMM is the engine that LA used to make Maniac Mansion, the MI and Indy games.

Oh, sorry, I ment ScummVM of course.
Quote:

Also, Christy Marx and Al Lowe do not own the IP of those games. They are illegally distributing them, but Activision is either unaware or does not care. Either way, they are not freeware.
That's why I wrote "everyone considers" :)
Personally I don't care about Activision as long as lead designers share their games. It has nothing to do with Sierra's glorious days. And after such nonsence as Box Office Bust, I think it's everyone's responsibility to download Freddy Pharkas and buy Al a cup of coffee)
Although there's no trace of FP on his website now...

Collector 08-17-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 587951)
That's why I wrote "everyone considers" :)
Personally I don't care about Activision as long as lead designers share their games. It has nothing to do with Sierra's glorious days. And after such nonsence as Box Office Bust, I think it's everyone's responsibility to download Freddy Pharkas and buy Al a cup of coffee)
Although there's no trace of FP on his website now...

I don't disagree with you, but given the stance of this board on "abandonware" it is probably best to avoid it here.

jhetfield21 08-17-2011 10:04 PM

for those with ubuntu out there, SCUMMVM and Beneath the Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen are on the repositories so it's two-three clicks in the Synaptic Application Manager to set them up.

Drolin 08-17-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 587939)
and some weird Czech game.

:D

Dragon History (DračÃ* historie) - its really bad, even for early czech adventures standard. And I also believe that adventure called Polda is freeware (but released only in cz language I think).

Fien 08-17-2011 11:29 PM

Zork I, II and III. :)