You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure ORIGINAL Colossal Cave adventure download

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Default ORIGINAL Colossal Cave adventure download

Hi!

Where in the world can I find a download of the ORIGINAL Colossal Cave adventure, not added to, and in a format that is easy to use, preferably not DOS? I really want the genuine original, no mods or anything.

Thank you,
Will
Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Asking for the original Adventure is sort of like asking for the original Bible. Have you already looked here?

If you have an iDevice, there are a couple of versions on the App Store but I they're variations. You'll find more info in this Eye on iPhone article. I think the first app described (with 430 points) is the version Don Woods expanded upon in 1995, so it may not be what people were playing in the 70s but at least it's a variation by one of the guys involved in the original.

Also look at Wikipedia, in the external links they list a Windows executable version of the original. The game you want is the 350 point version.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #3

The original was written for the DP-10, a mainframe, not a PC. It was later ported to DOS to allow it to run on a PC. It is a text only game, so that the port used almost does not matter. I have a new installer that will automatically setup the game in DOSBox for you.

http://sierrahelp.com/Games/AdventureHelp.html