You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
She Wants Revenge

Default AGON games

Agon - The Mysterious Codex is now 13$ on AdventureShop and I am somewhat intrigued. Would like some opinions about these games those. They're mystery/detective stories? How's the story itself and how's the gameplay? In which other adventures would you compare these games? Is the new game after this trilogy any good?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

I've played only Lost Sword of Toledo, which was intended to be longer and more complex than previous three episodes. However, i gave up early on because of too much reading without an option to skip the dialog, BUT my impression about the game at that point wasn't all bad - quite a nice scenery, involvement of cultural music and motives, and what seems to be really challenging puzzles, so it might be worth it.

Judging from the reviews, first three episodes are not bad either, and i think there were plans for fifth one that would have both casual and full-length version.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Flower bower bird

I played and enjoyed the first 3 games as downloads when they first came out, then again when they combined them into the Mysterious Codex, which has a bit more background material between each episode. You play as Professor Hunt, a museum curator, who in the first episode, discovers a mystery where he works in London. This is the shortest episode and sets up his travels to come. In the next two, he travels to Lapland and Madagascar, searching for the Agon.

You play Hunt in the first person but get to see him in the cut scenes. The puzzles are varied and, on the whole, very good, and the voice acting, especially that of the professor, is excellent. The main challenge in each episode comes from playing a board game of the culture you visit. I believe there are 12 episodes planned.

I became very fond of the main character and was very disappointed when the company decided not to port the 4th episode to the Mac platform.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Senior Automaton

I'd just like to throw my support behind these games. They are all wonderful and exciting journeys of REAL adventure which manage to build an excellent story through interacting with the environment and written materials rather than dialogue, and an atmosphere where it feels like you are really there. Not many people realise how rare games like these are.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #5

If I'm remebering correctly, I "remember" liking them.

Yes, quite solid, traditional and interesting. A little goofy, but isn't it all?

Thing is they were maybe the first episodic games. And episodic in the real sense that they told a single story, not just a series of stories. So, this is where the problem, if I might point one out, comes... the episodes were far-between! So far-between that, by the time the latest episode came, I always had well forgotten what I'd experienced in the previous episode(s). As a matter of fact I am and have been sitting here thinking there are still about 3-5 more episodes due?

Am I not remembering this correctly? Is it over? I just (as I say vaguely) recall 3 episodes.

Anyway, yeah, they were pretty good.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Berkeley View Post
If I'm remebering correctly, I "remember" liking them.

Yes, quite solid, traditional and interesting. A little goofy, but isn't it all?
Well, yes but remember it's a game about an english history professor in the 19th century. If AGON is too traditional and goofy, we may as well criticise Frogwares for making Sherlock speak with a posh accent.

I just found it refreshing to have a solid adventure game based in the real world which didn't feel the need to include gruesome violence and horror, raucous comedy, gratuitous sex or a convoluted storyline to win an audience. In going against that it's being utterly unfashionable which is why I love it - it's not ashamed to be an adventure game.

Quote:
Thing is they were maybe the first episodic games. And episodic in the real sense that they told a single story, not just a series of stories. So, this is where the problem, if I might point one out, comes... the episodes were far-between! So far-between that, by the time the latest episode came, I always had well forgotten what I'd experienced in the previous episode(s). As a matter of fact I am and have been sitting here thinking there are still about 3-5 more episodes due?

Am I not remembering this correctly? Is it over? I just (as I say vaguely) recall 3 episodes.
Yes, that is unfortunate but I think the 14-episode target is still on. It's extremely ambitious to plan a serious of that many games! They are making a new episode set in Peking, and hopefully we can expect improved graphics instead of the low-res fare of the previous games.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
She Wants Revenge

I think I will try the Codex out once I find some time for it. I was interested in the begin with and seems no one has anything bad to say so should be worth my time .