You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Book of Unwritten Tales (really) coming this fall

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Book of Unwritten Tales (really) coming this fall

Yeah, I know, we've all been burned getting our hopes up before, but the game's developers (KING Art) have just announced plans to release the game "internationally" this fall.

I'm still pursuing the details before writing up AG's news (voice acting, distributions plans, etc.), but I figured a lot of you would be happy to know it's coming.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Tea & Cookie Monster

Is it really happening this time!
I mean really, really, REALLY
Are there any news about Haunted?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #3

Haunted found a publisher at least for the German version. It's dtp.
And "Die Vieh Chroniken" is to be published by Crimson Cow.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #4

I don't believe it.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #5

Quote:
The Book of Unwritten Tales - Live Burials

In the adventure game "The Book of Unwritten Tales" DEATH has a new business proposition and sends Wilbur to win over a rich fortune teller as an Investor.
V...
http://www.facebook.com/KingArtGames
English Teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM96gzA1sKQ
Old 07-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Tea & Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Haunted found a publisher at least for the German version. It's dtp.
It's great that they have found a publisher! Maybe an english version will be released in 5-6 years or so...
Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

German publishers mean nothing in terms of ever getting English versions, unfortunately.

I've asked KA about distributing Die Vieh Chroniken internationally as well, so we'll see what they say.

Haven't heard anything new about Haunted. Entirely different developer, though, so Deck13 is on their own for figuring that one out.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #8

Hm, I wonder, are these the final voices?
Sounds like there's I quite noticeable German accent in Wilbur's voice, at least I thought so as a German. Reminds me a bit of my failure to articulate in the English language, athough not nearly as bad.

But ah, that teaser certainly makes me fall in love with the game all over again. I'm sure you'll all appreciate it!

Last edited by ozzie; 07-19-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #9

Why does anyone or anything need a publisher?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

For funding, for one.
And with Haunted I'm sure that Deck 13 weren't by contract able to publish it on their own. But I don't want to go too far into the realm of speculation...
Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #11

Jackal, you've got yourself a free beer

Here's the Trailer as well

http://bout.kingart-games.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #12

Funding what?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

Actually, a lot of English-language adventure publishers are too small to finance development, or even localization. Many just pick up the costs of producing finished boxed games and distributing them through retailers (plus an extra three cents for marketing. )

I believe there are some German publishers who do finance development costs, however.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #14

Well, yeah, I was referencing to German publishers, anyway.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Many just pick up the costs of producing finished boxed games and distributing them through retailers (plus an extra three cents for marketing.
IOW, unnecessary middlers (meddlers).

And as for German "publishers"... I don't consider development as "publishing". And anyway, most of these games being discussed here that are having problems being "published" are already ready-to-go. This is the year 2011. The internet is completely established. Digital media doesn't need a box. Any set of developers who need a "publisher" are getting no sympathy from me. It's those crooks in the middle that need eliminating. It's those crooks in the middle that only serve to fuel piracy by adding their "cost" to products. Developers shoot themselves in the foot by engaging in this "publishing" sham.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Berkeley View Post
IOW, unnecessary middlers (meddlers).
It's largely unnecessary if ALL you want to do release digitally. But I don't know of any developer who's signed with a publisher just to do that. Say what you will about downloads, boxed games still sell, and deliberately cutting off a big chunk of your potential market isn't a great strategy. And the cost of producing boxed games isn't insignificant. Publishers have the money to do it, developers don't. You don't think developers wouldn't WANT to cut out the middle man if they could afford to?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #17

great news, been hoping for an english translation for a long time
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Say what you will about downloads, boxed games still sell, and deliberately cutting off a big chunk of your potential market isn't a great strategy...
Oh, I thought I saw something here about games being ready to go but not having "publishers" to distribute them. Which, to me, is foolish.

So, yeah, it appeared to me that this "no publisher" stuff was pure stolid nonsense. Because I would say that not distributing something at ALL purely because you can't put it some of it in a box is ALL kinds of foolish.

But I guess I am radical because I also feel that digital "publishing houses" such as Big Fish are entirely unnecessary middle-men too.

Create your game (the work) and distribute it and reap every single bit of the reward you (and no one else) deserve. Otherwise you cheat yourself and your customer and only to support idlers.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Berkeley View Post
Oh, I thought I saw something here about games being ready to go but not having "publishers" to distribute them. Which, to me, is foolish.
Yes, the games themselves are often fully coded before a publisher is signed. Getting them in boxes on store shelves is a whole different matter that costs a whole lot of money most developers don't have. Agreeing to that is only foolish to you because you don't care about boxed games. Many, many people still do. Even a small cut of sales you wouldn't get otherwise is still good business sense.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with BOUT anymore, so back on topic. Still haven't heard back from KING Art, but I'm curious to know if they'll be selling disc versions or just a download.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
She Wants Revenge

Great news, I did chuckle with that 'really' though, kinda gave up on waiting for this already .