You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

Default Syberia Series

I'm playing Syberia for the first time now. I wanted to play it back when it came out but I never got around to playing it. I have been rewarded for my long wait because I found a DVD version that has Syberia 1 and 2 and Amerzone all on one DVD and updated to run on Windows 7 for $11 on ebay including shipping from the UK to Canada. A pretty good deal I think.

I remember reading the reviews when it came out and hearing that it was going to be great like The Longest Journey so I convinced my friend to buy it and I don't think he ever played it because he said it was too boring and he would make fun of me for suggesting he buy it, I am going to have to tell him that he just wasn't patient enough.

I had forgot he dais that until I started playing and after having to walk though countless scenes over and over again where there isn't even anything to interact with. I also hate that Kate has to abruptly stop if she is running and has to climb stairs (of which there are so many and the animation takes forever)!

That said after struggling through Valadilène with constant walkthrough help the game is starting to pick up and the story is really intriguing. I am almost finished with Barrockstadt and have not had to rely as heavily on the walkthrough. (I checked the walkthough so much because I didn't want to have to walk through so many screens to find out what I had forgotten or find out that I couldn't do anything because I didn't have the right item yet.)

Also, I really like Kate Walker's voice, not quite as much as April Ryan but definitely a lot more than Victoria from Still Life. (Her voice was really cringe-worthy at times when she would swear.)

I know a lot of people on this website like this game but I can see how other people think it is "too boring" (if you look at the review on ign). I think a lot of modern gamers don't have the patience for a game like this but I think that is has aged well and I am not sorry that I waited so long to finally play it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #2

It's not perfect, but I do love Syberia - it's easily in my 'top 5' adventure games. I love the story, the atmosphere, the characters, the puzzles (well, most of them), the beautiful artwork. Syberia II wasn't quite as good - the story was weaker and seemed to lose its focus and some of the puzzles were a real chore - but it was still a good game.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongiant909 View Post
It's not perfect, but I do love Syberia - it's easily in my 'top 5' adventure games. I love the story, the atmosphere, the characters, the puzzles (well, most of them), the beautiful artwork. Syberia II wasn't quite as good - the story was weaker and seemed to lose its focus and some of the puzzles were a real chore - but it was still a good game.
Uggh, that does not bode well, the puzzles are already somewhat of a chore (well the they are getting easier, I am just getting to the Cosmodrome), oh well I'll just force my way through them. The comments on here said that the ending to the second one is great so it should be worthwhile in the end.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #4

I think Syberia has extraordinary strengths that makes it worthwhile to play, even if it can be tedious at times. It's a unique story, I love how the puzzles are intertwined into the narrative (since Hans built most of the machinery you have to deal with, you get to know him better along the way).
I love the atmosphere and the feeling of solitude that gets stronger the farther along you get, even if this feeling was an unintentional side effect and not intended by the designer.

But I also find it tedious at times. There are many screens devoid of interaction. There's lots of running around. Sometimes I missed certain exits which got me stuck for awhile (I'm thinking about the exit that lead me to Oscar).
The puzzles are fair, but since they're spread out all over the place and it's easy to miss something, it's hard to not get impatient.

But I feel it's worth it.
For the first part at least. I wasn't enthusiastic about the story of the second one, even about the ending, which is just how you imagine it to be, nothing more, and its puzzles vary from okay to plain stupid, so I didn't like it at all.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
But I also find it tedious at times. There are many screens devoid of interaction. There's lots of running around. Sometimes I missed certain exits which got me stuck for awhile (I'm thinking about the exit that lead me to Oscar).
The puzzles are fair, but since they're spread out all over the place and it's easy to miss something, it's hard to not get impatient.
This. I definitely missed that exit as well. And finding the book in the office, what a pixel-hunt.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #6

Obviously, whether one likes Syberia, or dislikes it, depends not on the game but on the gamer! Personally, it is on my short list of my favorite games of all time. Other 2 games are: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis; and King's Quest 4: Perils of Rosella. I am thinking of expanding the list to 4 games by adding Lost Horizon and the reason would be that it is the last good game I've played in many a moon.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramindy View Post
Obviously, whether one likes Syberia, or dislikes it, depends not on the game but on the gamer! Personally, it is on my short list of my favorite games of all time. Other 2 games are: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis; and King's Quest 4: Perils of Rosella. I am thinking of expanding the list to 4 games by adding Lost Horizon and the reason would be that it is the last good game I've played in many a moon.
You have great taste!

Syberia is pretty good, I like it.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #8

Yeah, I just finished it. I think that took all of 4 days to complete. Ready to start Syberia II. The story definitely picked up and the puzzles became less frustrating. Overall, I would say it was definitely worth playing.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramindy View Post
I agree Fate of Atlantis is definitely awesome and I also enjoyed Lost Horizon quite a bit. I have never played King's Quest 4 but I tried to play the first King's quest game and didn't like it.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
A Guy You May Never Meet

Send a message via AIM to nightfan Send a message via MSN to nightfan

I'm glad you enjoyed Syberia, OP. I played it back in the day, around 2005, and I really really enjoyed it. It has a gorgeous atmosphere, moving soundtrack and it's just extremely elegant and charming. I think the puzzle design is fantastic actually, not too challenging. I do agree that the running back and forth is kind of tedious but I didn't mind staring at the screens a second or third time -- plus, it can't be as bad as STILL LIFE 2 (that game defines backtracking, such a tedious experience).

Anyway, if you found Validelene challenging, get ready for some of the puzzles in Syberia II - the game is equally beautiful and moving but I thought some of the puzzles, especially near the last 1/3 of the game, are a little difficult and unfair, to be honest. Still, enjoy!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfan View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed Syberia, OP. I played it back in the day, around 2005, and I really really enjoyed it. It has a gorgeous atmosphere, moving soundtrack and it's just extremely elegant and charming. I think the puzzle design is fantastic actually, not too challenging. I do agree that the running back and forth is kind of tedious but I didn't mind staring at the screens a second or third time -- plus, it can't be as bad as STILL LIFE 2 (that game defines backtracking, such a tedious experience).

Anyway, if you found Validelene challenging, get ready for some of the puzzles in Syberia II - the game is equally beautiful and moving but I thought some of the puzzles, especially near the last 1/3 of the game, are a little difficult and unfair, to be honest. Still, enjoy!
Well that is one more incentive not to play Still Life 2, despite enjoying Still Life 1.

Yes, I am still in the first town in Syberia II so I haven't got to the difficult puzzles yet but I haven't looked at any hints so far so I must be getting better at their puzzle designs.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
A Guy You May Never Meet

Send a message via AIM to nightfan Send a message via MSN to nightfan

Ah, you'd be surprised at how smart you get after doing a bunch of these adventure game puzzles! By the way, I assume you've played The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. What did you think about those puzzles and difficulty? Personally, I thought TLJ was medium difficulty with good design (with some really dumb puzzles, like the balloon and the key) while Dreamfall was very easy with some poor design. However, that's literally my only complaint for Dreamfall, since the story basically blows away all the flaws in my eye.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfan View Post
Ah, you'd be surprised at how smart you get after doing a bunch of these adventure game puzzles! By the way, I assume you've played The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. What did you think about those puzzles and difficulty? Personally, I thought TLJ was medium difficulty with good design (with some really dumb puzzles, like the balloon and the key) while Dreamfall was very easy with some poor design. However, that's literally my only complaint for Dreamfall, since the story basically blows away all the flaws in my eye.
Heck yes I have played both. I agree that The Longest Journey was a medium difficulty and Dreamfall was easy and I barely looked at any hints for it.

Gaah I have made it pretty far in Syberia II without looking at any hints but I am stuck at the airplane and radio part. I am worried that with all those buttons it is going to be a lot of trial and error. Well, I'm going to try again tonight and see if I can figure it out.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #14

Default Syberia on iPhone?

Have Syberia for ds but I thought the rumor was it's coming for iPhone. Anybody hear this or know anything?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #15

So I just finished Syberia II. I definitely think you need to play them both to fully appreciate it. One thing I thought was lacking in Syberia II was that the things going on back in New York weren't as exciting or crucial to the plot this time around.

Also I hate when people put penguins in the Arctic. I know this game is fantasy but that inaccuracy always bothers me.

I did use uhs-hints a few times and usually the problem was that I overlooked a pixel. But yeah solid series. I don't think they will be in my top ten all-time but I am definitely glad to have them in my collection.