You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Official GAG playthrough

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #81

I haven't played a lot in last 2 days, so i'm still in the castle area:

Oh, Gary, such a comedian. BTW, whenever i hear name "Gary" with some sexual innuendo i always think of Gary from a brilliant TV show "Men Behaving Badly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
It was rather easy to me, after first try I could continuously get at least 30-40 points.
i wanna play sextris too
Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #82
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
i wanna play sextris too
Go ahead. We're supposed to gain access to the castle and play Gagboy, until Monday.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #83

Hehe, I just knew that Fien would be the ringleader for this particular playthrough! She was the nice person who helped me locate a boxed copy of GAG years back, and I thought it was a very fun and underrated game. Thanks again Fien for helping me find a copy (still have it by the way). I hope everybody else can play through it glitch free and has a good time. I played it on WinXP and didn't encounter any big problems.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #84
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Well...the problem is that some pairs don't work, even though comparable combinations do work (some girls just don't work in some guys' laps ).
I've found this as well - some legs open up and others stay shut and pile up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
OK, Mom.
The full scale of the tragedy lies in the fact that I actually tried hard to make those people copulate.

ATM I'm trying to play Gagboy without being caught by my wife
At the and I reckon I'll have to show her what I'm playing, she's more dexterous than I am .
In real life trying hard earns points, but not so in this game I've discovered. And I am trying to play without being caught by my Mum! (No, not a teen but don't need to spend time explaining to my Mum why I have little nude people on my screen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Besides Fien's tip (I didn't realize you could turn them over when I played it), I found I could use the left and right arrow keys to shove them into each other before they fell all the way down. That became useful when I had a few stacked up on top of each other. I could take out one at the top or the middle of the stack by timing the shove correctly. I also used the Pause button on the Gagboy to stop them as soon as they appeared at the top of the screen so I could plan the best match.
I worked out the shove too last night, helpful when I had people piled high...

My first score was 10, my best 22 (yay!) and I managed to get to Level 2 for a few seconds. Once I'd played a bit I could keep the people down until it got faster and then they just pile up. I have bad reflexes. I'm using the mouse to press the buttons, can you use the keyboard? That would make life easier. I am putting them in the position they come in as I don't have time to press the turn button and the arrows before they hit something...

As for the rest of the game play, I got in the castle, but won't go on til I finish GAGboy. I needed a push in the right direction from this thread, but I got excited and uncovered too many spoilers (doh!). Oh well, I uncovered something I don't think I would've gotten by myself anyway. I spent a long time
Spoiler:
trying to access the laundry, I knew I had to put stuff in, but couldn't because I hadn't rung him on the phone. But I couldn't ring him! Who'd have thought I had to use a $20 note to dial the phone????

Enjoying the game, will move on once I get 66!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #85

Once again...

I'm maybe not gonna be able to follow along with you all because I'm having too much fun and really don't want to risk this rare treat (a game I haven't played that doesn't suck) being spoiled.

Maybe I will need to come back and read through, or ask a question... Ask for a hint? Because I'll say this much, the game continues to be something that feels like I'm (happily) stumbling through.

It is extremely arbitrary! Somehow, though, I am not finding it so in practice.

A very weird and enjoyable experience to say the least. Usually randomness bothers me to no end. It ruins a game for me no matter how much the other elements (production values, story, humor, etc) hold up. But because I'm managing to solve things without much struggle -- just being prepared and ever so slightly experimental -- I'm not finding the kind of frustration I would expect. It just seems to flow despite the very definite sense that much of it is nonsensical...

So that's where I am at the moment, bemused, bewildered but not "bothered" (as opposed to "not bothered" as in not engaged; I am engaged.).

I'm also quite a ways in I think. If it continues like this I will probably only show up for the "wrap party" where we can all talk freely without risk of spoilage.

Oh, the Gagboy did have me cursing for a while, though.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #86
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_93 View Post
And I am trying to play without being caught by my Mum! (No, not a teen but don't need to spend time explaining to my Mum why I have little nude people on my screen)
Hehe, it really is awkward being caught playing Gagboy by the members of ones family. Specially when one is way too old for such games as I am.

Quote:
I'm using the mouse to press the buttons, can you use the keyboard?
Yes you can, and I think you should use the keyboard: left and right arrows are for moving people left and right and you can rotate them by pressing up arrow. Down arrow is presumably for (faster) dropping them down (I haven't tried it, I'm too slow as the things already are). Perhaps there is a key for 'Pause' too, but I didn't find it yet (must find a way to stop using the mouse for pausing the game, since pausing is essential for a reflex impaired players such as yours truly ).
Speaking of Tetris, I never really liked it (timed puzzles are not nearly my favo(u)rite), with one exception: I immensly enjoyed the 'Drop Dead' tetris spoof in Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail (which is a much easier game than Gagboy to boot):

It's so easy that I had a hard time making this screenshot (placing the dead bodies in such a manner that I don't win (lose many lines) in order to let you see more dead body positions).

Quote:
Oh well, I uncovered something I don't think I would've gotten by myself anyway. I spent a long time
Spoiler:
trying to access the laundry, I knew I had to put stuff in, but couldn't because I hadn't rung him on the phone. But I couldn't ring him! Who'd have thought I had to use a $20 note to dial the phone????
Those were my thoughts exactly! I thought we're supposed to...
Spoiler:
... dial the Lao's phone number by our own and was surprised to find out that every number is only for 'speed dial' and 'fun' since you only get some gibberish after pressing any of those.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #87
Senior *female* member

Hiya lakerz! Why don’t you join us? Surely you remember enough of the game to comment on it.

Skeeter:
Quote:
I'm using the mouse to press the buttons, can you use the keyboard? That would make life easier.
Zobraks:
Quote:
and right arrows are for moving people left and right and you can rotate them by pressing up arrow. Down arrow is presumably for (faster) dropping them down (I haven't tried it, I'm too slow as the things already are).
Fien on page 4:
Quote:
You can use the buttons on Gagboy, but I much prefer the keyboard. In the early levels I used the spacebar a lot, to make them drop instantly.
Every time you press the down arrow they drop a little bit more. I found it utterly useless. AFAIK, there's no pause button on the keyboard. Sorry to keep harping on about it, but my strategy of turning their naughty parts up in the air (both boys and girls) really is the best one if you want to beat Gagboy. Of course it's fun to try out the many possible positions.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #88
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I did it! I did it! Wooo!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #89
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Sorry to keep harping on about it, but my strategy of turning their naughty parts up in the air (both boys and girls) really is the best one if you want to beat Gagboy.
I'm using your golden rule of '(female) legs bottoms up' , but even with that I didn't make much progress:

I reached the second level after less than half an hour of practise (today is the first time I seriously came on Gagboy to tackle it ), but that's it. As if things were not bad enough as they were, the speed of the falling bodies increased (doubled?) on Level 2! I know I'll probably be able to win the game in a week or two (if I practise 25 hours a day! ), but that's too much for me, so I'll wait for the cavalry (my daughter is the world champion in Swen Bomwollen , she likes Tetris too and I hope she'll be glad to help her old clumsy dad ).

Quote:
Of course it's fun to try out the many possible positions.
Yes, but not much. You can make some highly artistic (near to impossible) poses, but on the other hand you can't make a couple of (seemingly) more logical and easily obtainable ones .
What looks like a flop often turns out to be the winning move in this quirky little game.

I still (now even more than before) strongly believe action/arcade parts of an adventure game should always have the skip option.

Quote:
I did it! I did it! Wooo!
I'm glad you made it!

Last edited by zobraks; 07-17-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: I'm not only slow in Gagboy, I'm slow in English too!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #90
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I still (now even more than before) strongly believe action/arcade parts of an adventure game should always have the skip option.
Oh yes! Absolutely. I often HATE action stuff in adventures and I'm usually not good at it either. Gagboy is an exception.

I've sent you a saved game via email. If somebody knows how to attach it to this thread, please tell me. (It's got the wrong extension.)
Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #91
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
I've sent you a saved game via email.
Name:  thanks.gif
Views: 424
Size:  1.9 KB, Fien, but I prefer to have Gageboy tackled at the exact point I am now (with the inventory items I collected and stuff). If my daughter should show hereditary clumsiness , I'll use your saved game.
Quote:
If somebody knows how to attach it to this thread, please tell me. (It's got the wrong extension.)
I think it's easier to upload it to a file-sharing site (like this one), they're not so restrictive. Just pack it in the zip or rar archive.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #92

I started the game anew today, only for the fun of it.
I'm again in the castle and again too slow for the gagboy.
May i have a savegame, please????
I have no daughter and my niece, who usually does the arade parts for me, is far away...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 AM   #93
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
I think it's easier to upload it to a file-sharing site
I did it for you, here it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
May i have a savegame, please????
Seagull, just click on 'here it is'.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #94

Thanks, zobraks.
I wish all my wishes will come true so quickly.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #95
Senior *female* member

Here’s the link to the Gagboy saved game. Uncompressed, it’s a very small file. If you already have a 008 file, you’ll have to replace it.

GAG008.GSF

After loading, you’re in the castle with a new inventory item (telephone number). The castle has not been explored yet and all the inventory items are from Gary’s apartment. It’s possible that you have done a bit more, or less, than I had when I started playing Gagboy, so here’s the complete list of inventory items:

Handful of fresh flies (from the first arcade game) - damaged video cassette - Flyboy magazine - 3 videotapes (one empty) - iberium - slip of paper with telephone number - Gagboy - Lao’s list (2 items received) - plus of course the info about the Marquis, Marquise, notebook.

EDIT: While I was busy uploading the file, guess who was also busy...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #96
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
Thanks, zobraks.
You're Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 424
Size:  1.9 KB, Seagul.

Quote:
Here’s the link to the Gagboy saved game.
Name:  thanks.gif
Views: 416
Size:  1.9 KB, Fien!
Quote:
EDIT: While I was busy uploading the file, guess who was also busy...
I know the guy, he's restless/unstoppable .

Btw, seems like we have a new participant in this nice playthrough:

Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 AM   #97

Thanks, Fien.

You both saved my day. And my nerves.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #98
She Wants Revenge

Well it would seem that being good in Tetris actually does help. I instinctively used the arrow keys, didn't even notice you could mouseclick things. And I think it took less than 10 tries to get to 62, probably broke 10 before I hit that 70. Just to brag a bit . Not that it's a huge achievement really and I was feeling like I was quite bad in the game when I was actually playing it... But anyway, I am the tetris master of our family. Haven't played in years though.

I started replaying GK trilogy now too as you may have noticed from the other thread but I'll try to dedicate some nights to GAG alone too so I don't fall behind (much). It's definitely worth playing.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #99
an angel of romance

:sneaks into the thread:

Well I don't have time to play GAG right now (because I already got my hands full of playing another playthrough), but I did however download the free version of gagboy, just to see how far I can get, and to practice for when I do decide to play GAG, and this is where I got

Just look at the high score board

Also, Fien, you are doing a great job leading this playthrough

:sneaks out of the thread:
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #100

FINALLY, i've lived to see the almighty

GAGBOY! Oh, a feast for my eyes!

And i'm the biggest idiot, while game designers are not completely innocent, too In all the hurry and couple of restarts, i've overlooked to click the Spanish Fly (Spanish, my eye) before checking the table, so i completely missed to play the flies mini-game. It's because of that, or maybe even because of not checking TV news, too, that the portal at the shore wasn't appearing to me But now, at long last i won't feel as a black sheep while you all were discussing Gagboy

But my time wasn't completely wasted - I've gotten to know the castle better, and authors made-up for the "portal" with some great interior designs

graphics remind me of Grand Inquisitor, along with some one-liners:

and my fav inventory item so far