You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Looking for games in vein of...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #1

Default Looking for games in vein of...

Phantasmagoria 1 & 2, Still Life etc. I recently finished Gray Matter and liked it too, but the old ones I like even more. So, anything in this vein but with recent & decent graphics please (after year 2000 at least). Thanx for the suggestions in advance!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Schattenjäger

have you played scratches?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Did you already play all of the Art of Murder series? There are three of them - Still Life and Gray Matter are two of my all time faves - and I really love AOM - esp. 2 & 3. Some people don't like the voice acting - but it doesn't bother me... Also Secret Files 1 & 2 are really good and similar to what I think you are looking for.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #4

Got to warn you about the AOM series. The games are very underwhelming in terms of story, You'll be severely disappointed with the endings.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #5

I disagree re: AOM - I loved both stories in 2 & 3 (liked the first one too - just a little less smooth game play). I hope there is a 4th soon! I am also rarely underwhelmed by an ending - for example - most people complained about the ending of Alter Ego (another the poster might like) - I thought it ended perfectly - didn't feel left hanging at all - it seemed to be poetic justice. To each his own!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoecastillo View Post
I disagree re: AOM - I loved both stories in 2 & 3 (liked the first one too - just a little less smooth game play). I hope there is a 4th soon! I am also rarely underwhelmed by an ending - for example - most people complained about the ending of Alter Ego (another the poster might like) - I thought it ended perfectly - didn't feel left hanging at all - it seemed to be poetic justice. To each his own!
Actually, the issue wasn't the whole leaving anything hanging, or poetic justice. They do a great job building up to the finale, then once you hit it, it becomes a, "oh, okay?" moment. It lacks the fine points of storytelling. Thats why I still feel that nothing can match Still Life or Post Mortem....actually thats another game I could recommend.

Post Mortem is the first game in the Still Life series. May not be directly connected, but a lot of connections can be made to this game in Still Life. Def check out Post Mortem. Surprised it hasn't been suggested yet.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-27-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Art of Murder 1 is one of the worst adventure games I've ever played. Thought the writing was horrid and there was no atmosphere to speak of. The plot is completely stolen from every serial killer movie ever made.

The screenshots look pretty, but I'd avoid it at all costs.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #8

I would suggest The Lost Crown (detective/paranormal), Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon (mild horror) and Black Mirror 3 (thriller).

And of course Scratches for all the reasons above.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #9

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will check all thoes titles out and see what I like. I would also like to play a game like Realms Of The Haunting but with updated graphics. Is there anything like that out now?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #10

Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth are the only good action-adventure games in recent years that come to mind.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Got to warn you about the AOM series. The games are very underwhelming in terms of story

And in every other respect.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

If you want a good dark and grisly adventure game, Amnesia is a fantastic choice. It makes the Phantasmagorias and Still Life look like Putt-Putt games.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth are the only good action-adventure games in recent years that come to mind.
Good choices.
Sanitarium is another great game, though it's not exactly recent(1998). It's got an excellent soundtrack too.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #14

I played Sanitarium back in the day, a good game, great atmosphere, especially in the second level with the tree/mother thing.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellzemos View Post
great atmosphere, especially in the second level with the tree/mother thing.
Indeed. Sorry if I'm derailing, but the music in this game is so good. I was thinking about it, and immediately recalled these pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGZKCmYMzuw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n81x...eature=related
Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
I found Call of Cthulhu to be quite horrid. Sure it has a nice Lovecraftian feel to it but there was far to much action and far to little story and character development which I find is a problem with most action-adventures. That's why Dreamfall for me was such a breath of fresh air. Not that it's anything like Still Life and probably not like Phantasmagoria either.

Of the AoM games I've played the first and third(wich is the last in the series btw) and they're quite nice as long as you don't expect to much.In both cases the story was rather unrealistic and the ending not so great but they're fun to play in your in between hours mainly because there's very little level of immersion. And in that respect I think they beat every HOG I've played.

If you liked Still Life you should definitely try Overclocked. It's just as dark if not darker with characters you can really emphasize with and root for and a brilliant story. I highly recommend it. One of the best thrillers I've played

Last edited by gray pierce; 06-27-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #17

Art of Murder games are not bad but they're not top of the genre also. Their main problem is somewhat "bland atmosphere" and dialogs, but they're actually playable mystery games with the third one being quite long and slightly harder than predecessors.

When speaking about "similar to Phantasmagoria" titles, it's very hard to come up with something since original is unique despite it's cheesiness. Black Mirror is probably the closest to that concept, or even newest Alpha Polaris.

Still Life on the other hand has a lot of "followers". Beside mentioned AOM and Chronicles of Mystery series, there's Memento Mori also.

If you're fan of the Sherlock Holmes, you can try Awakened.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Still Life on the other hand has a lot of "followers". Beside mentioned AOM and Chronicles of Mystery series, there's Memento Mori also.
The second installment in the Chronicles of Mystery series: The Tree of Life is actually very good but it doesn't remind me of Still Life at all.

Quote:
If you're fan of the Sherlock Holmes, you can try The Awakened.
Definitely a great game, in my opinion even better Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper. A very dark, very stylish crime thriller very much in the vein of Connan Doyle's stories with a deep immersive story and a brilliant and haunting ending.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #19

Sadly , know nothing much about pc games after 2000.

But for old gory horror pc games , you can try

The pretty disturbing game - Harvester
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
Art of Murder 1 is one of the worst adventure games I've ever played. Thought the writing was horrid and there was no atmosphere to speak of. The plot is completely stolen from every serial killer movie ever made.

The screenshots look pretty, but I'd avoid it at all costs.

Seconded word for word.