You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Long time not playing adventure...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to anilerkan
Default Long time not playing adventure...

Hi everybody.

İts been many years since I havent played an adventure game. After having a divorce for over a year now I feel ready to get back into business.

I need some of your recommendations. I liked to play Runaway,Broken Sword Monkey İsland and the like. I am just buying now the last Runaway (twist of fate)

How is The Next Big thing...any recommendations welcome...

Thanks...
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #2

Hi there!
Have you played the bunch of Lucasarts and Sierra games already then?!

You could try the well-known ones, like Secret files series, The longest journey and Dreamfall, Syberia, Moment of silence, Chronicles of mystery, Discworld, Simon the sorcerer series............................................
or the newer ones like Lost Horizon, Pirates of Vooju island,.........

I am only at the beggining of The next big thing, so I don't know yet.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

I can't recommend Telltale's Sam & Max series highly enough. It's what got me back into the genre.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #4

Belief & Betrayal... how is this one? Will definitely go for sierra ones thats for sure though...
Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Senior Automaton

Hi anilerkan! I thought all Turkish people were busy working on Culpa Innata 2?

I wouldn't recommend Belief & Betrayal, it's quite boring. I would second kate me's suggestion of Lost Horizon, if you liked Broken Sword you will like this one.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #6

I'll echo the Sam&Max episodic adventure rec. Get all seasons;they're excellent.

Check out Gray Matter too.

Last edited by Axelfish; 06-22-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #7

Similar to Broken Sword: Memento Mori

Similar to Monkey İsland: Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure, A Vampyre Story, Ceville, Ankh, Jack Keane, The Whispered World
Old 06-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #8

Hi,

I too have been running dry in the adventure department lately. Where can I digitaly download Discworld series and Moment of Silence?

24th is Alpha Polaris which I am lookin forward to. If anyone can list upcoming june/july anticipated confirmed releases that would be great.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
IMO Memento Mori isn't even similar to a horribly watered down version of Broken Sword. It has a very uninteresting story with a completely rediculous conclusion. Rather than the first 3 Broken Swords who all had brilliant stories and at least acceptale endings. The only series that comes close to BS is the Secret Files series. Also second Lost Horizon it's by the same guys as Secret Files and just as good if not better!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #10

Horses for courses, i'd say

Broken Sword series, in specific BS1 and 2 are classics of high quality. It's hard to come up with something "similar", as is always a case with such classics. Still, when it comes to "mystery" genre in it's purest sense, Memento Mori is in my top 5 in last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
If anyone can list upcoming june/july anticipated confirmed releases that would be great.
You can check Release dates page
Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

Golly, I wonder what other titles are in your top5? I think you've missed some great recent mystey titles if that's in your top5.
Spoiler:
imo a mystery where Death is the culprit is not much of a mystery unless penned by Terry Pratchett.

As for Broken Sword I think 1, 2 and especially 3 are all high quality games. Though I have to say 2 is somewhat inferior to 1 and 3 imo.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #12

Default Broken Sword

I played the Broken Sword Director's Cut on my Nintendo Dsi XL and loved it. One of my favorite games and a must play for you.

I am cuurently playing the Last Window. I paid $59,95 for my English copy in America in a local store that imports Video games. It was a mint condition brand new copy. And money back if it didn't run on my American Dsi XL.

The game floored me in quality and there are six other english only adventure games I'm going to buy because they are very cheap right now. Three of those are the Runaway series which are classics and I also recommend highly - PC or Dsi. I played the first two on PC and they were amazing.

I was a PC adventure Gamer until I played "Trace Memories" on my Nintendo DS and I was hooked. Hotel Dusk sealed the deal for me so getting "Last Window" was a natural.

Last Window has been out in England for many months now so used copies are available at bargain prices.

As for collect-ability - this game looks like a solid buy here. I just paid $62 dollars for a used Dsi adventure game because it went collectable only 4 years after being released and I waited until now to get a copy.

PC adventure games are the same way - many go collectable and can net you some profit if it is an original copy in good condition.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #13

A Wild Western Adventure

Very mixed reviews (its fun but its not fun ) on review page was wondering if it is good?

Same goes for the following:

Simon the Sorcerer 4 & 5
Ghosts of Voojoo Island

Any of the above any good?

Thanx
Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 AM   #14
Schattenjaeger wannabe

The best adventure games I've played that were made in the past few years: Gray Matter, the Phoenix Wright games (Nintendo DS), Culpa Innata, Heavy Rain (PS3)

But it sounds like you've missed a lot of classics too.

My all-time favorites that you haven't mentioned: The Gabriel Knight series (far and away the best adventure games ever IMO), Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey
Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #15

Default Thanks

Wow..thanks for all the great recs guys...I will probably have a handful trying to come up and finish all of these games...I'll be starting with Runaway and then go on from them there...

Culpa Innata...shamefully never heard of it as a Turk... Which does show how much catching up I have to do
Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #16
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Hey, as long as were mentioning games from Turkish developers, if you're into psychological horror (not including marriage! ), there's also the Darkness Within series (Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder and its sequel, Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage. I think there's supposed to be a third game planned too.)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
Hey, as long as were mentioning games from Turkish developers, if you're into psychological horror (not including marriage! ), there's also the Darkness Within series (Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder and its sequel, Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage. I think there's supposed to be a third game planned too.)
I'm very interested in this, I liked the series a lot. I thought Dark Lineage was going to be the last one, especially because of what happens at the end.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Whaaaaat.... Similar to Broken Sword - Memento Mori.
Are you serious....
Its nothing like each other, they couldn't be more different.
How can you compare the awesomeness of Broken Sword to
the incredibly boring and mundane Memento Mori.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #19

I'm playing Gabriel knight 2 right now on chapter 1...was stuck for ages not knowing what the hell I was supposed to do with the tape splicing bit.. I should have realised I guess, but even so, difficult to work out (genius little puzzle though).

To add to the thread, The Last Express is a brilliant adventure game that differs from 99.9% of adventure games because it plays out in real time. Very immersive because of this alone.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weare6 View Post
How can you compare the awesomeness of Broken Sword to the incredibly boring and mundane Memento Mori.
Memento Mori isn't boring.