You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What's your favorite LA Noire case?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Default What's your favorite LA Noire case?

Hello,
I watch a lot of "let's play"s to keep up with what other adventure-games are doing these days as I don't have much time to play the games and I would really like to know what all the fuzz about LA noire is, and see what works and what doesn't with their revolutionizing gameplay,

however so far I've watched hours of it and can't believe how boring it looks, but like most games I suppose the good cases comes much further into the game, but I don't really feel like spending 50h watching or playing the whole thing.

So my question is, as adventure-game fans which mission did you find most fufilling?

(The LA noire thread is a bit too cluttered to ask anything there)
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I'm not a fan. I considered the game poorly written and repetitive.

To answer your question though, the case I enjoyed the most was the final one at the Homicide desk.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Cool thanks, I'm watching it now, altho I'm suprised THAT would be the best,
I mean it's always 100x easier to write a investigation where the villain is intentionally taking you on a trail of clues (heavy rain, portal etc) as you don't have to think much about puzzles as you can make any puzzle up it doesn't have to be a logic reason for you to do puzzle X (other than "the villain says so").

IMO it's a cop-out, a good investigation the puzzles need to actually be relevant to finding the truth about the case, imagine how easy it would be for the creators if every single episode of CSI was that the killer left behind a note at the body "you need to go on this scavanger hunt for 50 mins"
Old 06-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Yeah, I don't disagree. But it's the case that felt the most adventure-y to me. Plus the shootout location at the end of that was the only time I really cared for the atmosphere of the game. It's better done than the last level of the game, IMO.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #5

Ok just finished watching and yeah I agree that as an action game it's a pretty cool boss-fight and the prior so-called "detective-work" at least makes the suspense higher.

If anyone knows any mission with a bit more meaningfull adventure gaming or at least a story more intriguing than "I hid clues at every body so that the police could find me which makes no sense at all" then please share!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #6

I greatly enjoyed the game, but personally I thought the Homicide desk was the most disappointing.
Spoiler:
By the time you've finished the first or second case of the desk, it becomes pretty clear that you're just being set up with red herrings, so everytime I went to a crime scene and found yet another Dalhia victim that would lead me to yet another false arrest, I got frustrated.

I really enjoyed the final Arson desk, especially the action with Kelso. I love Phelps as a character, but Kelso's willingness to go above the law when he needed to just felt more film noir to me. I also liked The Fallen Idol, The Black Caesar, Manifest Destiny and all the DLC they've recently released - especially The Naked City (Nicholson Electroplating started out great but ended way too abruptly for my tastes).
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

The Homicide cases got a bit redundant but I did really like the last one, a fun chase through the city solving riddles leading up to an extremely tense shootout in some spooky catacombs.

The downloadable cases have been pretty great too. If you haven't played The Naked City or the Nicholson Electroplating yet, I'd highly recommend picking them up if you love the game.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Codger

If you want a good LA Noir mystery, check out Blach Dahlia.