You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Testament of Sherlock Holmes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #1

Default Testament of Sherlock Holmes

If anyone missed it, next to a new trailer there's also an interesting 3 minute gameplay video narrated by Frogwares founder, which can be found here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...ment-of/716216

He says that we'll visit around 20 different locations, with about 60 characters to interrogate and 60 puzzles. What i like in this video is that the main character has even more "Jeremy Brett" appearance to him, and street ambience seems nice and lively. However, there's some stiffness to character's movement and "console-type" feeling to it which hopefully won't distract much from the gameplay.

What i am really looking forward to see is if Frogwares further developed their puzzle ideas from previous games. Unfortunately, some of their good ideas in earlier installments were being dumbed-down and made to worse in later games, like the quiz section.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post

What i am really looking forward to see is if Frogwares further developed their puzzle ideas from previous games. Unfortunately, some of their good ideas in earlier installments were being dumbed-down and made to worse in later games, like the quiz section.

Inevitably though these things come down to taste - I hated the quiz sections in the earlier games. I found them patronizing and tedious. Generally gameplay on the series has steadily improved. I thought there was just too much to do in Nemesis and too little of it had to do with the central plot and I became resentful of the truly pointless, tacked on errands Holmes was constantly sidetracked by and tired of the game before I completed it. This element was greatly toned down in the following Jack the Ripper game, which I found to be just right in terms of length; story and gameplay wise. In some ways it was the best game in the series, despite the unoriginal subject matter, but visually it was one of the weakest, with incredibly unattractive environments (of course, Whitechapel should by no means look pretty but the graphics could have a picturesque brutality, instead of jsut looking ugly). It seemed incredibly insular and small in scope too, compared to the previous games.

Basically, what i'm getting at is Frogwares never seem to manage to get it completely right: they'll improve one aspect and go backwards with another from game to game. MAybe with Testament they will finally pull it off?

Regardless, i'm glad to see they're still active in developing true adventure games because for a while it looked like they'd bailed.

I wish we'd have some similar news from Kheops
Old 06-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

Yes it certainly looks great but I would like to see how the Gameplay pans out.
How you make your deductions, your interaction with suspects etc
It will be interesting to see how much or how little they have changed the dynamics
of the investigation. Can't wait to try it out or at least find out more.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Automaton

Quote:
That is my fear too. Frogwares with their Sherlock games have exhibited that they are one of the strongest puzzle designers, making consistently original and genuinely challenging puzzles which are also very entertaining. The worst mistake they could make in my opinion would be to dumb the games down to attract a larger audience.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

I only saw the videos and it indeed looks fantastic. I hope it can run on my computer.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #6

What I thought was a big deal to me about the previous installments that failed to accomplish was the animation. Had a chat with one of the members I think a month or so ago, and he/she? stated that they are spending a great deal of time with motion capture and bringing a unique sherlock holmes experience...though LA Noire itself is a modern Sherlock holmes game....just wish a lot of those features could of been implemented into this game.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #7

Now this is a detective game I can get behind. Footage looked really solid. Loved the gameplay in SHvJTR.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #8

The official site is up, along with a new teaser video

I like the fact that Frogwares continues to shape Sherlock after Jeremy Brett

I think in previous installments he had more of a Peter Cushing-Basil Rathbone to him. While the engine is obviously improved, i still can't get a hint on gameplay and puzzles and whether it's going to be improvement over "vs Ripper" or dumbed-down again.

Last edited by diego; 11-30-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Schättenjager

Quote:
Looks like Holmes obsessed Frogwares keep insisting good ol'fashioned style,well, i'll entertained by Guy Ritchie's Holmes enough i'll pass this stifle version.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
an angel of romance

Quote:
I like the fact that Frogwares continues to shape Sherlock after Jeremy Brett

IMO he looks like Mark StrongName:  evilgrin.gif
Views: 458
Size:  959 Bytes who played the bad guy in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes. Name:  Freddy.gif
Views: 459
Size:  2.8 KB With his face Sherlock looks mighty dangerous, definitely not as I remember him.Name:  rolleyes.gif
Views: 456
Size:  1.0 KB
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #11
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
IMO he looks like Mark StrongAttachment 2971 who played the bad guy in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes. Attachment 2970 With his face Sherlock looks mighty dangerous, definitely not as I remember him.Attachment 2972
You forgot to mention that Mark Strong is one of the most talented actors out there at the moment. He blew DiCaprio and Crowe straight out of the water in Body of Lies and really owned Stardust. Massive screen presence, imo. Even if the movie is bad (*cough* Green Lantern *cough*) he still manages to remain cool. Even in purple...

Also, Sherlock Holmes has every right to look dangerous. Makes him all the more capable at apprehending the bad guys when they'd prefer to resist their arrest...
Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
You forgot to mention that Mark Strong is one of the most talented actors out there at the moment. He blew DiCaprio and Crowe straight out of the water in Body of Lies and really owned Stardust. Massive screen presence, imo.
I love Mark Strong, he was great in RocknRolla and many other movies but I don't think he would be well suited for Sherlock, because he is well known for playing bad guys, even if those are likeable criminals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Also, Sherlock Holmes has every right to look dangerous. Makes him all the more capable at apprehending the bad guys when they'd prefer to resist their arrest...
Well personally I don't like Sherlock Holmes that way. I watched Guy Ritchie's Sherlock and I didn't like "I'm bad ass Sherlock who loves fighting thing that Robert Downey Jr did" That's not how I remember Sherlock, because he is supposed to be solving crimes, and finding out who did what, using his extraordinary methods; not chasing bad guys himself!
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
handsome

Quote:
That's not how I remember Sherlock, because he is supposed to be solving crimes, and finding out who did what, using his extraordinary methods; not chasing bad guys himself!
While being terrificly posh but maybe he's all grim there cause Moriarty is the villain now(?) or maybe someone stole his C dust.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
While being terrificly posh but maybe he's all grim there cause Moriarty is the villain now(?) or maybe someone stole his C dust.
Nawww, Holmes is just pissed that Watson opened the blinds in his room. Now they are at each other's necks.

Anyways, loved the new trailer. Looks and sounds so thrilling!

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Nawww, Holmes is just pissed that Watson opened the blinds in his room. Now they are at each other's necks.
They're necking ...

Looks pretty good. I also love that they're going more for Jeremy Brett now, and the story sounds amazing. Can't wait!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
Senior Automaton

Love the trailer. It sounds like they've kept the voice characters, which is good.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
an angel of romance

On the other hand this new Sherlock might not be a bad thing after all. Name:  icon_scratch.gif
Views: 319
Size:  209 Bytes We will finally be able to find out more about the famous detective himself, rather than only seeing his methods of investigation. And we will also be able to experience his darker side. Name:  FEB.png
Views: 325
Size:  3.9 KB

With all this put together, it's definetely gonna be a game worth playing! And the graphics are amasing. Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 319
Size:  2.2 KB

Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Well personally I don't like Sherlock Holmes that way. I watched Guy Ritchie's Sherlock and I didn't like "I'm bad ass Sherlock who loves fighting thing that Robert Downey Jr did" That's not how I remember Sherlock, because he is supposed to be solving crimes, and finding out who did what, using his extraordinary methods; not chasing bad guys himself!
Actually, Sherlock is meant to be pretty tough. If you read the books he does, on ocassion, get into fights and beat the ever-living piss out of whoever he comes up against. He's supposed to be abnormally strong. I believe he's also meant to be partial to boxing. So Guy Ritchie's version isn't too much of a stretch.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #19
handsome

If I recall correctly the martial arts thing only came when readers were bummed with what happened in Reichenbach Falls. So for me it's something quite out of character... yo!

He was an excellent swordsman tho.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #20
Schättenjager

Yes, from pugilism to fencing Holmes a man of action that no where to be found in these games.