Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Games with an atmosphere similar to... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/29099-games-atmosphere-similar.html)

Lucky Strike 06-03-2011 12:22 PM

Games with an atmosphere similar to...

I'm looking for games with an atmosphere similar to Grim Fandango's. I just love the Jazzy ambience, the glamorous locations, the shady characters, Manny's cool attitude, the good looking suits, etc.

So if anyone could suggest any PC games that have the same mood, featuring jazzy/noire/corrupt/glamorous/whatever moments that would somehow resemble certain scenes in Grim Fandango I'd be very thankful.

I'd just go install the game yet again and revisit the Land of the Dead but I've done that too many times. If only I could eradicate parts of my memory so I could play through the game like it was my first time... ;)

diego 06-03-2011 01:21 PM

There are plenty of adventure games featuring specific aspects of Grim Fandango like noir atmosphere, jazzy music, detective style plot and characters... but in order to say that the game is "similar to Grim Fandango" it needs to incorporate all those aspects together, and that's why it's hard to come up with something similar and why Grim Fandango is a unique game. Also, it should be noted that GF is in it's heart not only crime and drama but comedy as well, which is another reason why it's different from plain detective or comedy games.

- Discworld: Noir is probably the first thing that pops to mind, with high-quality writing and mix of comedy and crime.

- The Journey Down is episodic game made in old LucasArts' style. Character's grotesque design style and noir atmosphere are especially reminiscent of Grim Fandango. First episode is out and free, but you may want to wait for a hi-res commercial version coming soon.

- Nick Bounty series are stereotypical noir stories with jazzy atmosphere made by Telltale's Mark Darin.

Origami 06-03-2011 01:56 PM

I am not sure this might be the best recommendation but I am still going to name it: Blade Runner.

Jazzy ambience, film-noir, cool characters and locations.

EDIT: Owh and ofcourse just-released L.A. Noire.

Lucky Strike 06-04-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 581890)
There are plenty of adventure games featuring specific aspects of Grim Fandango like noir atmosphere, jazzy music, detective style plot and characters... but in order to say that the game is "similar to Grim Fandango" it needs to incorporate all those aspects together, and that's why it's hard to come up with something similar and why Grim Fandango is a unique game. Also, it should be noted that GF is in it's heart not only crime and drama but comedy as well, which is another reason why it's different from plain detective or comedy games.

Good point, but I'm open to suggestions of games that don't necessarily incorporate all of those aspects. I'm not exactly looking for a new Grim Fandango but I've probably expressed myself wrong in the original post. Either way, I appreciate your input and your game suggestions, which I'll surely look into. If any other games come to mind (no need for them to have all of these "qualities" that Grim Fandango has, just one or two) then feel free to let me know.

A few more games that fit the category of what I'm looking for would be Jack Orlando, Leisure Suit Larry and Dirty Split.

Thank you both for your replies.

Shany 06-04-2011 09:19 AM

Blackwell Unbound. It has a jazzy soundtrack and the characters might fit your description.

Also, Emerald City Confidential, from the same creator. It has the Noir feeling in a fantastic setting.

Stuart 06-04-2011 10:47 AM

Was about to say Emerald City Confidential too before seeing the post above, it definitely has that film noir feel to it and a very unique storyline (but is very easy).

And of course the outstanding Blade Runner game has the same excellent dark noir feel as the movie, even if it lacks the comedic feel of some of the examples above.

Arial Type 06-04-2011 11:28 AM

No Tex Murphy game mentioned yet? Weird. Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, Overseer - those three are full of noire, jazz, shady characters and humour to the top. Jack Orlando's not even close to Tex.

Lucky Strike 06-04-2011 01:08 PM

Tex Murphy's nice although its sci-fi elements are off-putting to me. I know there's a crowd who loves that sort of atmosphere in games but it's not my cup of tea. The soundtrack seems brilliant however and a lot of the scenarios look stunning so I might check it out aswell.