Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Still Life and similar (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/29083-still-life-similar.html)

Bellzemos 05-29-2011 05:41 AM

Still Life and similar

Hi! I'm new to the forum. :) A couple of years ago I played Still Life and like it. Which games are simlar to this one? Is Still Life 2 any good? I also just finished the good old Another World (which is not really an adventure game, but I like the mystical feel of it), long time ago I also enjoyed Sanitarium and Phantasmagoria 2. So I'm looking for more games of this type: serious, adult, mystical, and not too hard on puzzles. Any suggestions?

Melanie68 05-29-2011 05:47 AM

Hi and welcome!

I haven't played Still Life 2, but there are a couple of forum threads on it (and opinions) and others will chime in.

Maybe the Chronicles of Mystery series or Art of Murder series will be up your alley? I played the Art of Murder games and those have definite similarities to Still Life.

(follow the link to the game info page for the first one - links to the others will be on that page as well)

HitBattousai 05-29-2011 03:11 PM

You can look at the review here of Still Life 2 from the site: http://adventuregamers.com/article/id,1019

My opinion is that Still Life 2 is pretty mediocre(and I liked the first one a lot) but you might have a different experience with it.

Some games that might fit your criteria besides what's already been mentioned:

Gray Matter
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall
Syberia I and II
The Lost Crown: A Ghost Hunting Adventure
Indigo Prophecy(Fahrenheit in the U.K)
Overclocked: A History of Violence
The Black Mirror series
The Blackwell series
The Frogware Sherlock Holmes games
Gemini Rue

Should be plenty to get you going, kept the list to semi-recent games(with the last ten years or so). Naturally, I'd advise checking reviews of said games before to make sure they sound like something you'd like.

terhardp 05-29-2011 10:13 PM

I'm rather big fan of "Still Life" myself. I've also played the sequel. It certainly can't stand up to the original, but I've found it rather entertaining from time to time.

I can't say I've played many adventure games in this style so far, but ones I've found the most similar are probably "The Black Mirror" series, "Fahrenheit", "Overclocked: A History of Violence" and "Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper". I would definitely recommend those if you haven't played any of them.

Bout 05-29-2011 11:02 PM

Two great game the best ever:

Book of unwritten tales one if not the best pac games ever!

And the second one is Perry Rhodan my favorite game ever.
Look in youtube fro this games.

LadyRuby 05-30-2011 04:47 PM

Still life is a very good game, but Still Life 2 is a bad mixture of "Saw" and horrible graphics, sound, acting... what else? Everything is bad about that game. They changed the voice of Victoria McPherson and she doesn't sound cool and bad ass, she sounds kind of stupid in Still Life 2. It's not the worst game around, but it certainly doesn't have the charm and the atmosphere of the first one. I played it only to 'find out' the identity of the killer (and the answer was so obvious that it was frustrating).
Anyway: if you enjoyed Still Life, I guess you will like Fahrenheit, Deus Ex, The moment of Silence. I heard that Heavy Rain is really good, but it's a PS3 game (I'm thinking about buying it in the future).

If you like a mystical feel to your games, I'd suggest Syberia I and II and, of course, The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (classic). And Atlantis series (except for Atlantis Evolution).

cbman 05-30-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 581577)
Hi and welcome!

I haven't played Still Life 2, but there are a couple of forum threads on it (and opinions) and others will chime in.

Maybe the Chronicles of Mystery series or Art of Murder series will be up your alley? I played the Art of Murder games and those have definite similarities to Still Life.

(follow the link to the game info page for the first one - links to the others will be on that page as well)

Those game are really extremely mediocre imitations of still Life and are likely to kill your interest in Adventure Games if you are new to the genre. I recommend you stay away from them.

Others ahve already told you what you need to know about still Life 2: don't touch it! It is a disgrace that game was allowed to go out on the market, it was so badly programmed.

Bellzemos 05-31-2011 01:33 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions! So which one would you recommend me, cbman?

Belano 05-31-2011 03:57 PM

Hello, Bellzemos:

I haven't played Still Life (i have started two times, but I allways stopped at the trunk puzzle; I know, I know... it gets better, so maybe I'll play it again this year), but I have played Sanitarium and Another World. And, having these two games in mind and what I know about Still Life, I think you could like the next games:

1. The Lost Files Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel. This game have a serious and adult topic: someone have killed an actress and the police think is Jack the Ripper; you, as Sherlock Holmes, have to discover the truth. Regarding the puzzles, when I played it some time ago, I thought they were difficult -and good- at the beginning, but, as it develops, the were on the easy side. But it is in the atmosphere department where the game shines: you could feel London and even smell the fog (if the literary license is permitted). It really is a good adventure, and has great graphics (if you like 2d).

2. Gemini Rue. This is a recent adventure game. Again, the atmosphere is really good, and the storytelling is also good, even if I think some parts could have been better. The topic is serious and adult. I can't talk about it without spoiling part of the plot. The main problem for me was that the puzzles weren't that good and also were extremely easy. But you were asking about this kind of puzzles, so you could enjoy this feature too. Ah: you must know that the game has some action sequences, but they aren't difficult (you can adjust the difficulty level).

I also support the recomendation of Gray Matter: great story and storytelling, easy easy puzzles, and good atmosphere.

I hope this info helps you.

Bellzemos 06-01-2011 08:03 AM

It helps a lot! Thank you! I have a lot of titles to check out now, thank you all!