You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The first-person horror intro

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
Senior Automaton

Default The first-person horror intro

There have been a number of games with almost the same intro - choppy black and white film, viewed from within a car, and a woman's voiceover reading a message. The woman doing the voice is the same in each game, (I think) the voice of Emma Harry in Barrow Hill. The games are:

Barrow Hill - Curse of the Ancient Circle
Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches
Baron Wittard - Nemesis of Ragnarok

Here's an example to show what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haqY1gpYioE

Is there a story behind this? They are all from different developers (all British) so I doubt it was intentional but to have such a similar intro with the same voice can't be coincidence. I thought it might have been a joke or conspiracy by all three, or a sort of benchmark or tradition within the first person horror genre.

It's a great style of intro by the way, very atmospheric. Does anyone know any other games with the same intro?

Last edited by Oscar; 05-29-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

The bit about Emma Harry is not true. Three different games, three different women. Check it yourself if you don't believe me.

EDIT: Hey, you forgot Amber. Ghost story, starts with a car too. I don't think Emma Harry had been born yet, though.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Senior Automaton

Wow, really? I could have sworn it was Emma Harry in Baron Wittard.

I think Amber has a guy voicing the intro, doesn't it?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #4
Senior *female* member

I haven't played Baron Wittard, but mobygames.com is your friend. Someone called Posy Brewer and a Helana Hunting played the part of Kate in Baron Wittard and Jen in Rhiannon respectively. I do agree that their voices are a bit similar, although Emma Harry has a rather distinctive accent. IMO.

I hadn't noticed the prominent car intros, but so many 1st-person Mystian adventures start with a phone message, a fax, a letter, an email. Not just the 3 you mentioned, lots and lots more. Must be another time-honored tradition.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Anyone else think 'Emma Harry's' voice is extremely sexy? I wouldn't mind if she was in more games.

I believe the same person also voices Lucy Reubans in the Lost Crown and I think the girl in Dark Fall: Lost Souls and very possibly other female voices in the dark Fall series. As far as I can make out she is a friend of Matt Clark and Jonathan Boakes, rather than a proffessional voice actress, but I think she does a great job.

Last edited by cbman; 05-30-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Anyone else think 'Emma Harry's' voice is extremely sexy? I wouldn't mind if she was in more games.

I believe the same person also voices Lucy Reubans in the Lost Crown and I think the girl in Dark Fall: Lost Souls and very possibly other female voices in the dark Fall series. As far as I can make out she is a friend of Matt Clark and Jonathan Boakes, rather than a proffessional voice actress, but I think she does a great job.
Yes, definitely sexy but mostly because she lives in a small caravan in a deserted swamp!

I didn't know she played Lucy Reubans, and also Nancy Brewer and Emily Travers. That's quite some talent! I must really suck at recognizing voices, especially since Fien thinks she has a distinctive voice
Old 06-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I hadn't noticed the prominent car intros, but so many 1st-person Mystian adventures start with a phone message, a fax, a letter, an email. Not just the 3 you mentioned, lots and lots more. Must be another time-honored tradition.
I would be delighted if you could provide me with more of these games, I can't get enough of them! I'm aware of the Dark Fall series, Scratches, Amber, Blackstone, The Filmmaker, 7th Guest, Shivers and obviously the 3 I mentioned but not much beyond that. I love these games
Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

EDIT:
List deleted. As of now, I refuse to spend time on finding links and trying to help people who don't bother to answer a simple question.

Last edited by Fien; 06-08-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #9

Lighthouse begins with messages on an answering machine, followed by a car scene during the intro.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #10
Senior *female* member

Yes, lighthouse.

Last edited by Fien; 06-08-2011 at 03:07 AM.