Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gray Matter Location Tour Documentary (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/29080-gray-matter-location-tour-documentary.html)

amunptah 05-28-2011 07:02 AM

Gray Matter Location Tour Documentary

Hi all. I'm back with another location tour video. This time I took a trip to Oxford to see the real locations used in the game Gray Matter. You'll get to see the places as they are in real life, with commentary on the differences. You'll also get to see a few more of the beautiful places to visit in Oxford.
You can watch the documentary here: http://blip.tv/on-location/gray-matt...oxford-5215677
Please click through the ads as well and help support more video tours in the future!

UPtimist 05-29-2011 02:58 AM

Yay!

All I've seen is a quick view of Christ Church College, as soon as I have any time (and access), I'll be sure to check this out!

All you real-life tour people are the best!

(That's a lot of exclamations!)

terhardp 05-30-2011 10:18 PM

Thank you! The game itself left me a tad dissapointed, but it's always nice to see your documentary. You've definitely inspired me to visit some of those places myself one day.

terhardp 06-01-2011 12:12 AM

I've just finished watching your documentary. You've did it again. I've enjoyed your previous works too, but this one is the most professional-looking to date.

You've captured some beautiful sights here. The place, naturally, looks far better in reality, though I must say that game designers did an admirable job capturing the essence of the real locations. BTW, I understand why JJ had chosen the gloomy backdrop for her game, yet I think you've been most fortunate to visit the site on such a beautiful day.

Looking forward to your future works!

MartyMcFly 06-01-2011 04:12 AM

Thanks for the video amunptah, you've done an amazing job!

I love this game and was lucky enough to interview many of the people involved in its creation, including Jane Jensen who actually said this about Oxford:

"I had been there before, but I went back specifically for the game looking for locations. Using real locations and real history is something the Gabriel Knight fans always loved about the series so I pulled in as much ‘real Oxford’ as possible in this game."

Full interview available here: INTERVIEW – In Conversation With Jane Jensen (Game Designer, Gabriel Knight Trilogy/Gray Matter)

I really do think using real locations added something truly special to this game. Thanks again for a great video, I watched it from beginning to end and the time flew by, didn't even realise it was 30 mins long! :D

seagul 06-01-2011 10:28 PM

Thank you! I loved to watch your video. :kiss::kiss::kiss:

amunptah 06-24-2011 07:00 AM

Thanks for your comments. The one place I really wish existed is Timmons Park, but alas, it is fictional. I would love to walk between the trees there, especially the area with the stream.

jaap 06-25-2011 09:37 AM

looks very cool. Good to see there are many more people in real life in Oxford than in the game ;) The game alsways seemed post-apocalyptic with those empty streets.
I'd love to visit Alice's Shop, I'm a big Alice in Wonderland fan.

amunptah 06-26-2011 07:50 AM

Yep, it was SUPER crowded. I started feeling a little claustrophobic. It was great to head down some of the back roads and get some breathing room while looking at fantastic architecture.
For example, New College Lane, leading from the Bodleian Library to St Edmund Hall, is spanned by a Rialto-style Venetian bridge. It was funny watching X-Men: First Class the other day and seeing it turn up there as well!

laffer 06-27-2011 08:31 PM

Awesome! That's some really great work, highly appreciated!
Had a blast watching your video, thanks a lot!

amunptah 06-28-2011 11:31 AM

Darn. Doing a bit of research, it turns out that the Duke Humfrey Library at the Bodleian Library is the reading room shown in the game. Unless you are a student at Oxford, it costs £13 for a few minutes inside. Looks like I will be making a return trip...