You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dear LucasArts Letter - Monkey Island Related

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Wolfy

Default Dear LucasArts Letter - Monkey Island Related

Hey guys and girls!

The dudes and dudettes from Telltale Games Forums have started a huge LucasArts letter, in which they ask Mr. Paul Meegan (the president) to consider making a new Monkey Island game. Either that, or give the greenlight to Telltale.

This is not a petition. It is a simple, huge, gathering of very short letters. We plan on printing them out at the end and send the document to him directly.

It may grab his attention because, well, it's just a crazy idea. When was the last time he received so many letters? ...probably on Christmas day...but anyway!

Please join us! All you have to do is write a short paragraph in this thread, expressing your desire to play a new Monkey Island game. Or you can write whatever you want... the idea is to stay on the Monkey Island topic.

Here is the first draft of the document:
http://www.2shared.com/document/2H5A...ul_Meegan.html

You may see typos or awkward letters... we'll decide in the end what sticks and what goes, right now we're focusing on gathering letters.

Have fun! And Thanks!
SWP
Old 05-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

Emmm.. dude.. We had TOMI last year and there's a huge chance that we're gonna see a second season of TOMI this year... What more do you want ?!?!

Just curious!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Wolfy

Well, Telltale has announced about 7 or 8 titles... none of which is ToMI2.

Sooo, maybe LA might want to tackle a new Monkey Island game? Or maybe LA releases Curse of MI Special Edition?

All I know is that everybody was expecting TTG to announce ToMI2...and they didn't. They're focusing on less successful games and genres.

Don't get me wrong, they're doing a good job... but we all know that ToMI Season 2 would've outranked any sales on any chart. I still don't understand why they chose other IPs.

As for what more do I want... I can tell you what I don't want: another 10 years of hopes and speculations.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

Really ?!?! BTTF and Jurassic Park are less successful IP's than MI ??!?! Please dude... That's a laughable statement.

Also... TT recently announced that they have some announcements for E3.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Automaton

TOMI was alright but I would like a single full game, not episodes. You can't do much with episodes, they are too enclosed and insular for the gamer to feel like she is exploring large unknown islands and roaming the seas. So if Lucasarts is interested in something like that I will give my full support.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Really ?!?! BTTF and Jurassic Park are less successful IP's than MI ??!?! Please dude... That's a laughable statement.

Also... TT recently announced that they have some announcements for E3.
I said "Less successful games"
As IPs they are great... As games, I doubt they are better than Tales. From a personal view, of course. I meant no disrespect.

Either way, I don't feel the need to debate their actions. I fully support everything they do, but I know what I like. (by the way, I like these smileys you guys have, haha! Awesome!)

So, um, paragraphs? Anyone?

By the way, what in the World does this mean?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Well, Telltale has announced about 7 or 8 titles... none of which is ToMI2.
After Monkey Island IV, fans have had to wait nine years for a continuation of the saga. During those nine years, the fans annoyed fascinated millions of us with their relentless calls to sign petitions and light candles in church.

Don't you think your not-a-petition petition comes a little early?

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 05-26-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typos, of course
Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Wolfy

Beat the iron while it's hot?

We're just writing to the "Ok Guy" asking him for another "Ok". No harm done.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #9

Come on guys, cheer up! I really don't see how SilverWolfPet's letter could possibly do anything wrong.

I really, really, REALLY enjoyed Tales of Monkey Island; it was my personal Game of the Year of 2009. And although I like Back to the Future as much as the next guy, I'm really not looking forward all that much to either Jurassic Park, The Walking Dead, or Fables. They're great franchises but they don't mean much to me, or at least they don't spark that "classic adventure" feel I crave.

And between now and King's Quest (which I am excited about but probably won't come out until mid-2012) I would have loved a sequel to Tales.

And let me remind you all that SilverWolfPet is a highly respected community member at Telltale. We should be honored by his presence. Now, stop your whining, get a clean shirt on and go make him a sandwich.

As a final note, I'll add that the use of the smilie is usually reserved to the following actions: whacking a frying pan over your neighbor or fellow forum poster's head, frying breakfast eggs like a pro chef, testing the sound of impact of your frying pan on various surfaces. Other uses may apply.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
It's Hard To Be Humble

Hey, Wolfie, I'm game.

Dear Paul,

I hope you'll forgive the perhaps unwarranted familiarity, but I felt an informal tone is correct for this occasion. You see, I'm a relatively old gamer, and have played many of the classics. However, until the last couple of years, and despite many glowing reports, I had never laid my hands on any of the Monkey Island franchise. However, with the revamping of the first two games and the addition of Telltale's brilliant Tales of, I've found myself swept up in Monkey Mania. I'm sure it's not seen as the most lucrative property, but it is a property with a rich legacy and a warmly devoted fandom. Perhaps it's too soon. However, I think we'd all feel better if we knew that Monkey island was still on your radar.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWolfPet View Post
Either way, I don't feel the need to debate their actions. I fully support everything they do, but I know what I like. (by the way, I like these smileys you guys have, haha! Awesome!)

So, um, paragraphs? Anyone?

By the way, what in the World does this mean?
Hey SilverWolfPet, good to see you over here! The smilies here are pretty awesome... this one is a frying pan... getting panned... geddit??

I for one would love a new Monkey Island game, especially full length. I'm not holding out too much hope for Telltale since they're clearing out the TOMI merchandise from their shop. As for a paragraph, I'll have to think on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloor View Post
And let me remind you all that SilverWolfPet is a highly respected community member at Telltale. We should be honored by his presence. Now, stop your whining, get a clean shirt on and go make him a sandwich.
Seconded!

Last edited by skeeter_93; 05-27-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #12
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloor View Post
I would hope that all members here are respected, whether they be King of Daventry or a mere space janitor.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 AM   #13
J.H
Frak.

Seems a little pointless as I doubt a ton of letters is what drives Lucas Arts, I think profit margins and sales figures are more the inspiration, but either way this can do no harm. My "letter" below.

Dear Lucas Arts,

Please for the love of God make Monkey Island 5, and please let it be in 2D, or at the very least 2.5D. For years us MI fans have been cradling the idea of a new MI game but to no avail. There is clearly a massive fan base still ready to consume as I'm sure can be proved with MISE sales figures.

It's about time Guybrush donned his strange haircut and hit the seven seas once again. Surely there's room for a full length Monkey Island game from Lucas Arts? We deserve a finale to the series if nothing else.

Thanks for your time,
J.H
Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #14

As much as I loved Tales of Monkey Island (and the rest of the series) it is at a relatively low priority on my demands from from either LucasArts or Telltale Games.

I believe most of the creators of the Monkey Island series have left LucasArts so I think that if they tried to make a new game without them it wouldn't be the same. I would much rather see LucasArts make a new IP adventure game in any fashion really, there would be no way to disappoint us. I would settle for a Star Wars or Indiana Jones adventure game although they do have some other IP's that could see some new games. I think Grim Fandango and The Dig are fine as stand alone titles but a new game set in the Loom or Full Throttle universe would be amazing! An even more outlandish but amazing idea would be a game based on Willow possibly to coincide with the hopefully upcoming blu-ray release.

For Telltale, I really hope that they are not spreading themselves too thin and oversaturating the adventure game market with all the upcoming games they are planning. I have played all three seasons of Sam and Max, TOMI, Puzzle Agent and the first four episodes of Back to the Future and for the most part I have been very pleased. I credit Telltale for revitalizing my love of adventure games that were such a big part of my teenage years. Thank you for that.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #15

Old 05-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
Wolfy

Hahaha! Brilliant, guys!!

Keep them coming! This is getting better and better!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #17

I would like a new Monkey Island game, well LucasArts are the only ones who can do a "fifth" game. TOMI isn't officially classed as MI 5 as both LA and TellTale have both said this. I think LucasArts have already stated they don't want to do an SE for COMI and EFMI, rumours are they're doing a SE for Maniac Mansion to coincide with the games 25th anniversary next year and the 25th anniversary of the SCUMM engine.

COMI and EFMI will most likely get re-released on GOG.com since LucasArts are one of the three rumoured companies that GOG have been speaking with to get titles re-released on their site either this summer or in the fall.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #18

Okay, here goes:

Dear Paul Meegan:

David DeLorenzo here, also known as Bad Asp! I've played both of your Special Editions of the first two Monkey Island games, and I'd like to play some more Monkey Island games in the future! So please allow Guybrush to venture into uncharted waters and grant him the honor of appearing in a new Monkey Island game (maybe one that will finally reveal the long-awaited secret of Monkey Island!)

Oh, and uncancel Freelance Police. I couldn't resist (hee hee!).

How was that, SWP?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #19
Wolfy

It's great, man!
I've just been announced by the italian MI community that they are preparing a BIG stack of letters for this! Yay!

Spread the word, if you want to
Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #20

I will contribute soon BTW...

"He's the small boy that you have to give the ball to in order to retrieve the toilet brush from the kebab seller."

stepurhan -

"Only in an adventure gaming forum would you see a sentence like this. "