You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Voice Acting in Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #41
Stalker of Britain

Oh yeah, I know about Boakes' subtitles and other readings in his games. The obvious errors really bug me, let me tell you.

It also took me a long time to get used to the narrorator in "Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father".
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #42
Senior *female* member

She was quite something, but I soon got tired of her and I'm glad the game gave me the option to turn her voice off.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:36 AM   #43
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

I'm currently playing through Black Mirror III and there's a few bad apples, like Inspector Spooner and Mordred.

Also, there's some unintentionally funny moments when conversations end, like this exchange I had in the cafe:

Spoiler:
Darren/Adrian: "The castle really is cursed! Someone DIED there last night!"
Dr. Winterbottom: "Ok. See you soon!"

lulz
Old 05-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #44

I think there are 3 main things that make a good voice actor.

1. Someone who reads the script cover to cover and understands their characters role in the story.

2. Some who may not necessarily have a completely unique voice but through some years of practice know which words to emphasize and when to speak in different tones.

3. A company has to be vigilant about recording. Recording time costs big bucks so they have to have an appropriate amount set aside for re-takes and most companies just won't do this.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #45

"Mediocre" is probably the most accurate way to describe the average quality of (English) voice acting in modern point & click adventure games. You may get a couple of good performances, but I've yet to play an adventure made in the last decade that hasn't bored me with dull or poorly-delivered voice acting from its non-playable characters. It's usually a budgetary issue, which is a shame, and it doesn't always ruin the game. In fact, if the game itself is really good then bad voice acting can be overlooked to a certain degree. I'd still rather good acting, though

There are exceptions of course, but most of them are older examples -- Broken Sword, Snatcher -- or aren't point & clickers at all, like LA Noire, which is by and large a modern adventure game.

Also, Telltale's games seem to fair better in the VO department, but I've played very little of them.