You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Memento Mori 2 announced

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 04:09 AM   #21
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Was the good one where he
Spoiler:
jumped out of the window and went into a coma?
Didn't that leave some uncertainty and a cliffhanger which the screenshots sort of spoil?
Nope. In the good ending
Spoiler:
Lara grabs his hand just in time. The best ending for both Lara and Max also has an epilogue.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #22
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Oh Man!

Will I be fooled again?

The first game had one of the most ludricus story I have seen in a long time, it was bad enough to make me angry, no, really, that bad..

But of course, I'll take in the A$^%^&%$&ss like a good little gamer and go for this one too

I must be a masochist!!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvio View Post
Oh Man!

Will I be fooled again?

The first game had one of the most ludricus story I have seen in a long time, it was bad enough to make me angry, no, really, that bad..

But of course, I'll take in the A$^%^&%$&ss like a good little gamer and go for this one too

I must be a masochist!!
Your not the only one. It was just rubbish.
I couldn't connect with anything in that game.
But like you I will bite my tongue and try this new one.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #24
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weare6 View Post
Your not the only one. It was just rubbish.
I couldn't connect with anything in that game.
But like you I will bite my tongue and try this new one.
Funny thing is that my wife was in the family room while I was playing the last chapter, and for some reason I didn't have my headphones on, it took me about an hour to finish it, ans she obviously was overhearing everything. When it was finally over I had that disbelief look in my face only to turn around and see the same look in mt wife's face!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #25
Senior Automaton

I hope they bring back that ridiculous narrator with his extremely deep booming voice who read his script reaaaalllly slowwwww to makeeeee thiinnggss seeeemmmmm vverrrryyy draammatttiicccc.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
Senior *female* member

That would surpise me very much because in Memento Mori 1
Spoiler:
it is revealed at the end that the narrator is in fact the Angel of Death. In the German edition Andre's voice changes into the narrator's voice when he tells Max who he really is.... "I was there when night swallowed Sodom and Gomorra... " etc. But I watched the English ending on youtube and it was Andre's voice all the way through!

They also left out a couple of sentences. Some of the future tenses in the epilogue were changed into the past tense, which is very weird. I don't know anything about the text in the original language, but if the text was translated from German into English, it's a pretty bad translation. And last but not least, the German voices of Andre, Lara, Max were ten times better than the English ones. Boy, am I glad I played the German version.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #27
Senior Automaton

Well that explains why I could not understand the plot at all. I still have no idea what it was all about.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 AM   #28

I commend them for "getting with the times" -- modern graphics is something most adventure game developers have steered away from (or simply cannot realistically achieve) -- but as someone previously mentioned, with great graphics comes great responsibility to animate them properly! One thing's for sure, the animation of the first game and the graphics in those screenshots will not mix well. Not at all.

I would say that animation is a much bigger problem for the genre. Most realistic adventure games look quite splendid with their pre-rendered backdrops, but the standard of animation for these titles is usually quite low. As in, last generation, PS2/Xbox quality and in some cases even worse.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #29

Anyone interested in MM2 might want to check out this link...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...25731290779175

Not only is MM2 fully 3D (with highly customizable visual settings so it can be played even on quite low-specs PCs), it even supports nVidia 3D vision...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #30
She Wants Revenge

I thought the ending was actually very good. If it seemed silly to you why not just believe
Spoiler:
that Max was insane? It was never actually completely cleared up if the Death was real or just in Max's head.

Personally I like endings you can interpret in many ways. Like lots of people were somehow embarrassed by the end of 'The Knowing' because of its religious tones. Some people were sure it was proof that religion was right, others were sure it was proof that religion was wrong. The same with MM, you can believe one way or the other and honestly I think the ending is done pretty decently then.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #31
Senior Automaton

It wasn't that it was silly, just confusing. I'm sure many were left wondering why the story changed halfway from an art-theft mystery to a family history tale with supernatural overtones. It seemed like a patchwork of story threads which didn't really come together. Were we even told why the thefts occurred?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #32
She Wants Revenge

I don't think there were any bigger plotholes at least. It's been a while so I'd need a replay to really answer this but as far as I can remember the thefts and everything else tied together with the monastery and then with the ending. People can still think it's silly of course .
Old 05-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #33
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
I don't think there were any bigger plotholes at least. It's been a while so I'd need a replay to really answer this but as far as I can remember the thefts and everything else tied together with the monastery and then with the ending. People can still think it's silly of course .
Ha! Here we go again Milinea!!

Unfortunately with this one I remeber exactly 0 of the story, I just remember it was really, and I mean, really God awful.

Fortunately, like I said, my wife was there and she was just as revolted as I was by it, and there's a comment of mine, whcih I had to go back to (just to remeber if this was the game I was thinking of), under the review for it on this site.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #34
She Wants Revenge

Well yeah, this is the kind of story that goes bang in the end. If you don't like the ending there's not much into the story to like then. This is the risk with these kind of stories that focus on a twist in the end.

Also, I really wouldn't pay attention to a spouse that sees the end of something. I have recently watched Doctor Who and there are some seriously brilliant stories there that I know my spouse will like. But when he happens to sit next to me in the middle of a season finale he is really not going to get anything out of it because he just doesn't have a clue what's happening and who the people are. He just sees some flying tincans and people yelling and screaming. MM is supposed to be quite intesive and emotional experience, would you cry and praise Thelma and Louise if you only saw the last 10 minutes of the movie? (No I am not saying Memento Mori's story would be equally good drama.)

The game and the story can still of course suck, but I think these two issues are something that kinda "soften the blow". It isn't really that horrendous even if some people find it boring and unlikeable. The game isn't brilliant but it's really only about how you like the ending and how much do the little things annoy you.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #35

The screenshots look great and I really liked the first one, so... yay!
As for Memento Mori 1,
Quote:
It wasn't that it was silly, just confusing. I'm sure many were left wondering why the story changed halfway from an art-theft mystery to a family history tale with supernatural overtones. It seemed like a patchwork of story threads which didn't really come together. Were we even told why the thefts occurred?
* the ending DID explain the art thefts and mostly everything. Even the "bad" endings.
Quote:
How do you know? My computer is quite new and the graphics are very smooth, so it is not the system. It is the game, the characters are programmed to move incredibly slowly. You can see it on youtube videos too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usVwA3pjC30
* the characters DON'T move like in the Youtube video posted above if your computer accomplishes the minimum requirements. So, yeah, you should try lowering the settings.

Last edited by Kuny; 05-26-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #36

Quote:
You can see it on youtube videos too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usVwA3pjC30
I suspect the lag in that video may be due to the recording software used by the uploader, rather than a problem with the computer itself.

To be fair, I noticed some inefficiency in Memento Mori myself. My rig is a few years old now (Quad Core 2.4 GHz, NV 8800 GTS 512) but it still manages to handle contemporary games like the latest Call of Duty variation without any problems, bit it did slow down a bit when I enabled the reflections in Memento Mori. I haven't been able to figure out why.

Anyway, I'm quite excited about this sequel! It'd be funny if they used such an impressive realtime 3D rendering engine, but decided to go for fixed swiveling cameras again. The way I see it, realtime rendering is a bit wasted if the point of view is angularly mobile but fixed in one spot.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #37
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuny View Post
The screenshots look great and I really liked the first one, so... yay!
As for Memento Mori 1,

* the ending DID explain the art thefts and mostly everything. Even the "bad" endings.
Is it that:
Spoiler:
The thefts were done by the tattoo-faced monks to draw Max to Finland (which they had no idea he would do, they had no idea he would even investigate the case as he isn't a detective nor was he even in St Petersberg) to commit the murders (which they also had no idea he would do) because Death (aka his pretend brother who he forgot died when he was a child) wanted him to?

Also why did Max burn down the monastery? He wasn't under any suspicion, he didn't need to distract anyone. His understanding was that one knew he had confiscated the art. There was no reason. It was 100% his choice, even Death tried to dissuade him from doing anything.

I also don't get how he ended up in the asylum. If he was having visions, sure, but the monks could see Death too couldn't they?

Quote:
* the characters DON'T move like in the Youtube video posted above if your computer accomplishes the minimum requirements. So, yeah, you should try lowering the settings.
I'm well above the recommended requirements. That video was a bit choppy, try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpMZqlBwjmM It is infuriatingly slow movement.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #38

I enjoy Memento Mori, and for the few things I have read about the new I'm really looking forward to the new story. The screenshots looks cool so definitely will have it in my to play list.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Is it that... spoilers
as far as I remember it...

Spoiler:
Death was in all the paintings but wasn't really noticable... until people started using all this fancy hardware and software to get a better look at some of the minor details and notice things almost impossible to see with the naked eye... so the Death Cult stole the paintings to replace them with almost identical forgeries which didn't include a cameo by the Grim Reaper

it's rather silly, but it kind of worked in a way. sort of...
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #40
Life and times of...

Quote:
I hope they bring back that ridiculous narrator with his extremely deep booming voice who read his script reaaaalllly slowwwww to makeeeee thiinnggss seeeemmmmm vverrrryyy draammatttiicccc.
Haha! Oh, I had to laugh at that. It's so true, I couldn't stop snickering whenever he spoke in the game