Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   What happened to The Adventure Company? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28898-what-happened-adventure-company.html)

jhetfield21 05-16-2011 01:03 AM

for me it's just disappointing that a publisher for adventures has shut down.now i just hope that the developers that were getting published by TAC are gonna find publishing elsewhere.i just want the games to get released.

Fien 05-16-2011 01:18 AM

I've heard bad things about The Adventure Company, but I'm surprised some people seem to dismiss the games they published as mediocre. If we were discussing the old Cyro I'd agree, but I see lots of good adventures on the list, by various developers. All the Kheops ones are solid, Dark Fall, Still Life, Moment of Silence, BS3, Black Mirror, Syberia.

Oscar 05-16-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 580656)
I've heard bad things about The Adventure Company, but I'm surprised some people seem to dismiss the games they published as mediocre. If we were discussing the old Cyro I'd agree, but I see lots of good adventures on the list, by various developers. All the Kheops ones are solid, Dark Fall, Still Life, Moment of Silence, BS3, Black Mirror, Syberia.

Absolutely. I would say the majority of TAC games are good ones, with a few absolute gems and a few for the trash. Not many companies can claim that track record. The 2000s adventure scene would have looked completely barren if not for them.

If you want companies not interested in the future of adventure games, look to where all the hundreds of casual/hidden object games are streaming out from every year.

rayvio 05-16-2011 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 580661)
If you want companies not interested in the future of adventure games, look to where all the hundreds of casual/hidden object games are streaming out from every year.

I dunno, I think those games can be a good gateway into adventure games. I've managed to convince a couple of hidden object fans to give some adventure games a go and one of them just went and bought Longest Journey, Syberia 1 & 2 and the Gabriel Knight trilogy off ebay because she can't get enough of them :P

Ivynwater 05-16-2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayvio (Post 580666)
(...) I've managed to convince a couple of hidden object fans to give some adventure games a go and one of them just went and bought Longest Journey, Syberia 1 & 2 and the Gabriel Knight trilogy off ebay because she can't get enough of them :P

Quite difficult would be to do the reverse! :D:devil:

Fien 05-16-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivynwater (Post 580667)
Quite difficult would be to do the reverse! :D:devil:

Oh no, not at all. There's an exodus of adventure game players turning to casual gaming.

Ivynwater 05-16-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 580677)
Oh no, not at all. There's an exodus of adventure game players turning to casual gaming.

Really? How come? Bored at the office? What target do they have?

rayvio 05-16-2011 09:34 AM

I guess it depends what you look for in adventure games, there's definitely a stronger crossover between adventures and casual/hidden objects than between for example adventures and first person shooters (not to say that somebody can't like both, just that the two genres have less in common so less people are likely to like both)

personally I don't like the idea of buying a game I can finish in an hour, no matter how cheap it is. for people who love puzzles but don't have much free time though, I'd imagine the casual games are perfect, since if you tried to split up a big game playing it in small chunks occasionally you'd probably end up forgetting what happened in earlier parts by the time you get to the end

crabapple 05-16-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivynwater (Post 580680)
Really? How come? Bored at the office? What target do they have?

Casual adventure-like games such as the Drawn series (which isn't strictly a hidden object game) are attractive to adventure gamers who have played all the new adventure games they can find and want something else to play besides shooters, RPG's, and sims to play.

Annacat 05-16-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabapple (Post 580704)
Casual adventure-like games such as the Drawn series (which isn't strictly a hidden object game) are attractive to adventure gamers who have played all the new adventure games they can find and want something else to play besides shooters, RPG's, and sims to play.

Yeah, this.

Personally, I really enjoyed the Drawn games, and would happily play future games in the same light genre. That doesn't mean I've stopped playing the more "pure" adventure games, though. I'm still buying those, too.

There may be some players who are really making an "exodus," but I don't think it can be assumed that everyone who plays casual games no longer plays adventures. Many of us enjoy more than one genre.

Ivynwater 05-16-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabapple (Post 580704)

There are stealth games too btw. Maybe that's my limitation, but I'd rather do crosswords or playing chess online than spend some hours on an hidden objects games. Good games are made first of all of good storylines and characters development and in those it's very lame or not existent. My opinion of course....

adventor 05-16-2011 12:51 PM

It is sad about TAC. They published a ton of stuff.

As for casual... well... I like some casual games... no hidden object stuff, but more of the plants vs. zombies fare. I'm sure BTTF by telltale should probably also be considered a casual game but that's just me.

When it comes to adventures though I want it to be big, awesome, and full of memorable moments with a main character or story that is something exciting.

diego 08-19-2011 12:23 PM

Incredible news - Nordic Games has just bought The Adventure Company brand, along with JoWood, and they're planning on supporting existing games catalogue:

"Nordic Games has also acquired The Adventure Company and has expressed plans to relaunch all the old franchises of both companies."

Quote:

This is the beginning of a new era and over the coming months product development will start on a variety of well loved and respected brands and products
Website will be open soon at - http://www.nordicgames.at/

Oscar 08-19-2011 03:33 PM

Great news but i'm not sure what it means... ALL the old franchises? What does that mean, more Agatha Christie and Riddle of the Sphinx games?

rtrooney 08-19-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhetfield21 (Post 580585)
i thought they also had a studio.....apparently i'm wrong...........anyways.it is a shame.....just look at the games that got out because of TAC:

I am impressed with the list. I have played almost all of these. I am depressed that the publisher of all these great games can't make a go of it financially.

While another commentator seems to think casual games are the cause of the demise. I think they might be the salvation. I see no reason why BFG, for example, might not publish "true" adventures as long as they fit into the BFG business model.

diego 08-20-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 588089)
Great news but i'm not sure what it means... ALL the old franchises? What does that mean, more Agatha Christie and Riddle of the Sphinx games?

I'm not sure too, but they are surely not buying and relaunching The Adventure Company brand if they don't have any plans with it. We'll just have to wait and see.

The only adventure game they specifically mentioned, though, is Safecracker only:

Quote:

JoWooD and The Adventure Company will become publishing labels within Nordic Games GmbH,with the plan to re-launch the huge back catalogue of games and invest in developing the wholly owned IP’s and franchises, including SpellForce, Painkiller, ArcaniA, The Guild, Panzer Elite, Legend of Kay, The Nations, Safecracker, and Neighbours From Hell, amongst others

Oscar 08-20-2011 02:13 AM

Well that's great news - Safecracker is one of my favorite TAC games.
I'd also love sequels to:
-Keepsake
-Outcry
-Post Mortem
-Nibiru
-The Experiment

rayvio 08-20-2011 07:24 AM

by relaunch I'd guess they mean ensure that they're still available, maybe on Steam or GoG or something, rather than actually make sequels to all of them. although some sequels would probably come for the more popular franchises

diego 08-20-2011 08:15 AM

True, but they are just a publisher, to begin with. but having ip's "alive" gives us more chance of potential sequels. afterall, having one more adventure publisher back in business doesn't hurt :P

kate me 08-20-2011 09:59 AM

That may give us a tiny ray of hope...
I would like to see sequels to my BS game and even Keepsake which I like, (even with those empty corridors :P) I would like to see Lydia and Zack again...