Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Monkey Island 3 (Special Edition)? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28884-monkey-island-3-special-edition.html)

BimboBoy 04-14-2011 11:27 AM

Monkey Island 3 (Special Edition)?

Do you think they'll release a special edition of "Monkey Island 3"? Are there any rumours? :)

kuze 04-14-2011 12:15 PM

I doubt it, and anyway, the original still looks amazing to me, I wouldn't change a thing.

Oscar 04-14-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze (Post 578051)
I doubt it, and anyway, the original still looks amazing to me, I wouldn't change a thing.

Yes, but the same goes for MI1 and MI2, and that didn't stop Lucasarts. :devil:

kuze 04-14-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 578077)
Yes, but the same goes for MI1 and MI2, and that didn't stop Lucasarts. :devil:

Well, what I meant was, it looks good even by today's standards, and it doesn't have the verb-interface the remakes tried to simplify.

Weare6 04-14-2011 04:20 PM

Well I believe they do not need to bring out a special edition for Monkey Island 3. It awesome as it is. But what they do need to remaster or redo is Monkey island 4 which in my opinion is very disappointing. The 3D feel just ruins the charm and flare and detail of the originals. oh well I know it will never happen... but wishful thinking.

Rosswell 04-14-2011 11:10 PM

I think Bill Tiller mentioned on Twitter a while back he spoke with LucasArts last year about it and they said no they won't be doing a special edition of COMI, however COMI may become available again because LucasArts could be one of the 3 companies thats been approached by GOG.com to release their games on their website if you saw the conference yesterday.

I hear rumours its a Maniac Mansion Special Edition they are working on to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the game next year.

millenia 04-14-2011 11:15 PM

I agree MI3 doesn't need a remake at all. The earlier ones were clearly outdated both graphics and UI wise.

I would love to see more remakes from the late 80s and early 90s games though. I'm not horribly picky with graphics but those games are damn old already and it would be especially hard to play one of them without nostalgia, so I probably wont be touching some of the classics I missed back in the day. One of them being that Maniac Mansion. I played DoTT and absolutely loved it but MM's dead ends kept me away. Update I'd love to play.

J.H 04-15-2011 02:00 PM

Apparently, according to Bill Tiller it would look something like this
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lC4ytZZpKu...or_Final+2.jpg

Click Here for larger version.

jannar85 04-15-2011 02:09 PM

That screenshot is from Bill's Ghost Pirates game. Heavily inspired by Pourto Pollo.

But I wouldn't mind CMI in HD-quality. It would be nice to preserve such a great classic that way.

J.H 04-15-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannar85 (Post 578152)
That screenshot is from Bill's Ghost Pirates game. Heavily inspired by Pourto Pollo.

But I wouldn't mind CMI in HD-quality. It would be nice to preserve such a great classic that way.

Oh yeah I know that, was just saying because on his blog he said "Image from my game Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island. If I re-did the Curse of Monkey Island SE game it would look as good as this."

http://billisboard.blogspot.com/

laffer 04-15-2011 07:30 PM

I sincerely hope they do not remake this game as there are so many other games I'd rather see them spend the effort on.

For one thing because, as has already been pointed out, this game still has very decent graphics to this day, much more so than older VGA games that do look very pixellated by todays standards (but I still love that look, of course).

Also, while I've always found it a quality game, this is where the Monkey Island series started taking a turn for the worse in my opinion. This is purely a matter of taste, I'm not saying anything else - but for me, this diverted too much from the first two Monkey Island games.
It almost felt like it could have been a different series entirely, only with a common theme.

And while I always found it a quality adventure game, it's still one of the Lucasarts adventure games I think appears somewhere near the bottom of the list when compared to their other adventure games.
Again, I think it's a very good adventure game, but Lucasarts pretty much only made excellent adventure games so in that kind of company, in my opinion it doesn't do all that well.

terhardp 04-15-2011 10:42 PM

Although I've immensely enjoyed the SE versions of the first two MI games, COMI is still my favourite MI game. But unlike the first two games, which IMO look horrible in original versions (by today standards), COMI, like first two BS games, still looks pretty decent in comparison with some newer titles. Don't get me wrong; I'm not talking about the style here (which is IMO brilliant), but about technology, that, of course, looks crude when played on the modern devices. Even though I know there are many old-school fans out there, it's kinda difficult to play the game that looks ancient on today's equipment (at least, for me). Therefore, I think that the remastered versions of the game classics are a good thing, if the original style is preserved as much as it can be.

UPtimist 04-15-2011 11:39 PM

I don't care if they remake it or not as long as it's somehow made easily available like the last two or at least GOG-style.

Balderduck 04-16-2011 03:30 AM

CoMI is one of the best looking games ever. Still is, after all these years...no point remaking it!

It's funny how, back then people thought these graphics were outdated, and everything was 3D, but if you look at games of this era now, CoMI still looks amazing and 3D games look like a bunch of cubes moving around

Weare6 04-17-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosswell (Post 578095)
I hear rumours its a Maniac Mansion Special Edition they are working on to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the game next year.

Ahhh I hope your right Rosswell that would be awesome to see it updated.

rayvio 04-18-2011 12:30 AM

MI1&2 were very dated graphically and lacked voice acting, making them difficult to market to a lot of todays gamers. MI3, while not quite as good gameplay and story, has a better standard of graphics which even now doesn't look too dated and of course was fully voiced
I'd imagine, and hope, that the older and more dated games in their library would get the makeover treatment first

jannar85 04-18-2011 05:44 AM

Alright. Just a quick example on how HD would look, I ran one screenshot through a vector program, and it kind of gives you an idea what to expect.

We see old Disney animated movies getting a Bluray-makeover, and it has never been this good before. Same goes to CMI. It's backgrounds at 640x400 doesn't really look that good on a huge screen.

Two examples (remember to view them full screen):
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3...torized.th.png

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/2...torized.th.png

As you can see, only the improvement is STUNNING (at least on a 40 inch monitor). And then.. with a directors cut of CMI, with those cut scenes and so on, would be simply amazing.

Oscar 04-18-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jannar85 (Post 578363)

Sign me up for the old version. :devil:

kuze 04-18-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 578365)
Sign me up for the old version. :devil:

Exactly. The vectorized version looks exactly that: vectorized. The backgrounds would have to be repainted to go HD, and I for one am not going to play MI3 on a huge screen.

jannar85 04-18-2011 06:31 AM

Giving you an idea what to expect, I said. It'll be more like this:
http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/1145_1_large.jpg

Don't you look on the backgrounds, though!

I play them all on my TV :P