You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Playstation 3

I'm new to the PS3 and I'd appreciate your help to list adventure games released for this platform, to discover new games to play.

Adventure games I own:

Heavy Rain
Lost: Via Domus
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (Special Edition)
Tales Of Monkey Island
The Secret Of Monkey Island (Special Edition)
Tomb Raider Trilogy (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #2

There are a few on PSN you've not listed:

Sam and Max: The Devils Playhouse
Back To The Future The Game
Strongbad's Cool Game For Attractive People
Stacking (With new DLC)

Jurassic Park game's out soon too.

Edit to mention:
There's also the Blue Toad Mystery Files, which is more of a Prof. Laytonesque puzzle compendium - though nowhere near as charming or enjoyable.

Last edited by noknowncure; 04-15-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Blue Toad
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #3

Default Thanks!

Cool thanks! I have to check them out. I'm a huge "Jurassic Park" fan so I'm very excited about that game.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

The newest CSI game is also on PS3, but if you wait a while I can imagine the price of the physical release will eventually drop significantly.

Games similar to Uncharted series (These aren't Adventure Games in the strictest sense - but they certainly include typical AG elements - but I include them as you mention Uncharted and Tomb Raider):

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is a beautiful game adaptation of the Chinese 'Monkey: Journey to The West' legend. Its lush environments and cinematic storytelling, regularly reminded me of the Uncharted series. I bought it as a fan of the myth, not knowing whether I'd enjoy the actual gameplay but I'm very glad I did.

Also, including the PS2 Trilogy that's been recently released as an HD bundle for the newer console, there are five Prince of Persia titles that should satisfy if you're a fan of acrobatic platforming, combat and puzzle solving - which as you've listed Tomb Raider, would seem to be the case.

The success of Adventure Game apps on iPhones and the popularity of Nintendo DS AG titles seems to have rekindled an interest in the traditional Adventure Game. Hopefully things will steadily increase and improve.

There's also the added lure of trophies/achievements. For Trophy addicts, an AG represents easy pickings and is therefore a must buy title!

Whatever works!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #5

I believe Telltale also released Puzzle Agent on the PSN.

There is a new episodic (non-Telltale) detective game called Red Johnson's Chronicles coming soon on the PSN as well. Check out the trailer - it seems to have quite an involved "detective" interface and could be difficult.

http://kotaku.com/#!5792128/red-john...work-adventure
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Default Ps3

Five adventure games I seen around the internet recently have been getting rave reviews and rave previews - which shows this Genre is anything but dying out in any way:

999 - I loved this game - very highly rated game - average review score is an 8.5 which is amazing. It has an "M" rating which shows Nintendo is for adults as well as kids.

Ghost trick - Editor's choice and an 9.0 rating on Gamespot which hardly ever happens for an adventure game. Highest rated adventure game in recent years - I really enjoyed this one -- very long and well worth the money.

Last Window - Adventure game of the year on many sites, grand game worthy of all the praise it has gotten. For Hotel Dusk fans it is a must play game.

Heavy Rain - I only buy one system to play adventure games on and I went with a DSi XL for this generation. The PS3 has this game and the reviews of this game are nothing short of stellar. If you have a PS3 get this game.

LA Noire - was going to be just for the PS3 but Xbox got the nod too. The people who have played the game completely through are stunned by it and say it is an adventure game and an excellent one at that. The only Video game to be shown at a movie festival to rave reviews. A must have for all PS3 owners - out next month.

So - you lucky PS3 owner - get LA Noire - all stores list it in the adventure game category and I won't debate it - although it like Heavy Rain is a little different in play from traditional adventure games ie: Gray Matter.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 04-16-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

To be clear - 999, Ghost Trick, and Last Window are DS games, not PS3 games.

I just got a PS3 myself and I'll be starting with Heavy Rain this weekend. Last night I set up the console and downloaded the demos for DeathSpank, Stacking, and Costume Quest. (DeathSpank is designed by Ron Gilbert and Stacking / Costume Quest are from DoubleFine, so have Tim Schafer's influence.) LA Noire is also on my "to get" list.

The other games I'm planning to check out initially are JRPGs -- Eternal Sonata and Folklore. Haven't played them yet so I can't comment on the story to action ratio.

As mentioned here, the first episode of Blue Toad Murders is free in Europe right now (and coming to North America for free soon), so you might want to check that out.

Also, AG has our very own preview of Red Johnson's Chronicles here. It should be coming to PSN very soon.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
I just got a PS3 myself and I'll be starting with Heavy Rain this weekend. Last night I set up the console and downloaded the demos for DeathSpank, Stacking, and Costume Quest. (DeathSpank is designed by Ron Gilbert and Stacking / Costume Quest are from DoubleFine, so have Tim Schafer's influence.) LA Noire is also on my "to get" list.

The other games I'm planning to check out initially are JRPGs -- Eternal Sonata and Folklore. Haven't played them yet so I can't comment on the story to action ratio.
Hope you enjoy the new PS3!

Deathspank and Costume Quest are great little games - more charm driven than earthshattering gameplay, but fantastic fun nonetheless.

Folklore's a tricky one. I have mixed feelings about it. It's certainly attractive with wonderful art direction, but it becomes very repetitive - moreso than the majority of RPGs I've played.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #9

Have you played Heavy Rain yet fov?

If you have... what'd you think?

I thought it was an amazing experience!

"He's the small boy that you have to give the ball to in order to retrieve the toilet brush from the kebab seller."

stepurhan -

"Only in an adventure gaming forum would you see a sentence like this. "
Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #10

Default Heavy Rain

"Heavy Rain" is a great game! It almost feels like a movie. The graphics are great too.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

I played it this weekend, took about 8 hours for one playthrough. I *loved* it. Not perfect -- there are some plot holes and some very unbelievable moments, which normally would have bugged the crap out of me -- but I liked everything else about it so much that this didn't effect my enjoyment. I can't think of another game where I felt so invested in the decisions I was making for the character and I was very surprised by the turn the story took at the end.

I've only played it through once, then replayed the last chapter to get a better outcome. I'm planning to replay the whole thing again, making different choices, to see what changes... at first I thought I'd wait a bit, but I've been thinking about the game ever since I stopped playing it, so maybe I'll start up again later today.

I can't say it's a $300+ game when you consider it was my main motivation for buying the console, but I do think people who like this sort of game won't regret the purchase. I was a big fan of Fahrenheit (the first 2/3, anyway ), so I knew going in that I would probably like Heavy Rain.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #12

Which endings did you get?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Spoiler:
First time (when Madison died during the last chapter): Ethan and Shaun in the new apartment, Madison's funeral, Scott is shot by Lauren, Blake puts on the ARI glasses and sees the dead FBI agent (who died halfway through in the car compacting machine, d'oh!)

Second time (when Madison didn't die during the last chapter): Ethan, Shaun, and Madison in the new apartment, Lauren spits on Scott's grave, same scene with Blake.

I started replaying last night and have already seen a couple of significant scenes that I didn't see the first time around. This time I'm going to make a conscious effort to make completely different choices, and then on a third playthrough I might try to do everything "right" and get the happiest possible outcome.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #14

There's a trophy* for seeing all the different endings. It's quite tricky and requires numerous playthroughs - or clever use of particular save points - but it's satisfying once you've accomplished it.

Trickiest ending:
Spoiler:
The 'Oragami Killer gets away with it' ending is probably the trickiest to generate as there are several sequences that must be completed in very specific ways to unlock the final cutscene.

Spoiler:
In the same vein of different game experiences, during my first playthrough it reached the point where Madison makes a move on Ethan. I was aghast! It just seemed entirely inappropriate for this physically and mentally exhausted, wounded, tortured man on the run, fearing for his son's life to suddenly get it on with a helpful stranger, so I turned her down.

However, this meant that I never made the discovery the morning after that she was a journalist, which meant that I didn't really understand Madison's involvement in the plot until subsequent playthroughs.

I believe the game's greatest strength is in building tension - in scenes where you're being pursued or have to complete a task within a time limit, I was completely on the edge of my seat and putting myself in the protagonists place.

* Don't know if you're into trophies yet, but I'm tragically obsessed with acquiring them. It's astonishing the extent I allow these meaningless rewards - with no real benefits - to effect me, but if I know in my heart of hearts I can unlock them, I'm compelled to do so. My OCD nature is once again directing me away from sense and reason.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

I like getting trophies, it gives some added satisfaction. I wish the game had a % complete screen to give an idea of how much you've seen compared to how much is left to see.

I'm not going to read your spoiler yet in case it reveals something I haven't seen. Also, we seem to have hijacked this thread.

So, PS3! What else is good?!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #16

Any word yet on how Red Johnson Chronicles is?

The first episode of that Blue Toad Murder Files thing is free now.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
There's a trophy* for seeing all the different endings. It's quite tricky and requires numerous playthroughs - or clever use of particular save points - but it's satisfying once you've accomplished it.

Trickiest ending:
Spoiler:
The 'Oragami Killer gets away with it' ending is probably the trickiest to generate as there are several sequences that must be completed in very specific ways to unlock the final cutscene.
Cool, could you please elaborate on how to get this ending or send a link ?

It´s been almost a year since my last playthorugh.
Now that I have a cool TV & soundbar system I have to give it another go.

One thing is certain.
I´ll let Norman Jayden act as badass as possible.
Dirty Harry style
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
The first episode of that Blue Toad Murder Files thing is free now.
Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to go download it before I forget!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
Cool, could you please elaborate on how to get this ending or send a link ?

It´s been almost a year since my last playthorugh.
Now that I have a cool TV & soundbar system I have to give it another go.

One thing is certain.
I´ll let Norman Jayden act as badass as possible.
Dirty Harry style
Serious spoilers, so anyone who hasn't played Heavy Rain, DON'T READ THIS:

Spoiler:
As Scott, you have to;
1) Allow Hassan, the convenience store clerk, to be shot by the thief.

2) Clean Manfred's shop of ALL evidence. Clean ALL touched surfaces and items of fingerprints:

The white phone where Manfred was murdered.
The black phone behind the front desk.
The bathroom door. (only if you touched it by entering the bathroom)
The magnifying glass.
The two cups.
The Scotch bottle.
The dancing mannequin.
The glass display case where Lauren leans on it. (if you take too long to find Manfred at the beginning)
The front door.

3) Allow Lauren to sink in the car.

4) Walk out without giving Kramer his heart pills.

Then, let Madison and Norman die while playing their chapters - ideally during Norman's fight with Mad Jack, or when Madison is trapped in the burning building as there have been reports of the trophy glitching when they die at other locations.

Finally, make sure Ethan doesn't go to the correct warehouse, by failing the challenges. Alternatively, when arriving at the warehouse, allow Ethan to be shot by the cops.

Anyway, PS3 Adventure games...
Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #20

The PSN outage must suck for the Red Johnson's Chronicles guys. What did they have, a few hours worth of sales? Hopefully Sony will give them some free publicity when they come back.