You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Light adventures that aren't too casual?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Myst-loving person

Default Light adventures that aren't too casual?

I'm not quite sure how to phrase this, but I'll give it a try. I really liked Drawn and the sequel. I would be interested in playing some other games along the same line - sort of like a light adventure that isn't too far over the line into casual or pure hidden object gaming. The sheer amount of lighter games on the market is overwhelming, though! I don't know how to find what I want amidst all the options.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a game that's along the lines of Drawn?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #2

I don't know anything about Drawn but games like Gilbert Goodmate and The Westerner games fit the "light" bill. Gilbert Goodmate specifically was one of the best games I have played over the last 6 years.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Senior *female* member

Really? Well, there's no accounting for taste... I didn't like Gilbert Goodmate at all. I have a clear memory of starting it on a cold, rainy sunday afternoon. (I'd already played the demo, which consisted of two or three easy puzzles at the very beginning and was more or less enjoyable.) By dinner time I hadn't done anything but wander around and listen to countless conversations mostly about nothing. Would you like a cup of tea? No thanks, never touch the stuff. Coffee is my poison. That kind of total crap. One reviewer called the dialogues "relentless". Played it when it came out, some ten years ago, so it's not what I'd call a recent game. In those days not finishing a game was not an option for me...

I'd recommend Gemini Rue, which hasn't anything in common with Drawn either. Except that the puzzles are light and easy. Very good story.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #4

You could try a game that we developed:
Pahelika: Secret Legends. It is atmospheric and the puzzles are solvable, and there is no hidden object stuff.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
J.H
Frak.

Yeah I'd recommend Gemini Rue also. Has a great narrative and a very strong adventure game make-up but it's also very possible to complete without any walkthrough.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
Senior Automaton

The Fall Trilogy is light but not too light, most of the puzzles are easy so you could try that one.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Myst-loving person

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I'll check those out.

I do enjoy the "serious" and more difficult games too, but sometimes I'm just in the mood for a change. This will give me some good variety.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #8

Pahelika was really good. You would probably also like Enlightenus and its sequel. Both are very much like Drawn, although not as stylish. You might also quite like Azada and its sequel.

Unfortunately most casual adventures are too hidden-object based for me these days - I burnt out on HOGs about a year ago.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annacat View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a game that's along the lines of Drawn?
When you log on, check the opening screen for a list of recently release Casual Games. I think one or two will meet your requirements.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Really? Well, there's no accounting for taste... I didn't like Gilbert Goodmate at all. I have a clear memory of starting it on a cold, rainy sunday afternoon. (I'd already played the demo, which consisted of two or three easy puzzles at the very beginning and was more or less enjoyable.) By dinner time I hadn't done anything but wander around and listen to countless conversations mostly about nothing. Would you like a cup of tea? No thanks, never touch the stuff. Coffee is my poison. That kind of total crap. One reviewer called the dialogues "relentless". Played it when it came out, some ten years ago, so it's not what I'd call a recent game. In those days not finishing a game was not an option for me...

I'd recommend Gemini Rue, which hasn't anything in common with Drawn either. Except that the puzzles are light and easy. Very good story.
For once, I actualy enjoyed the dialogue in the game. It was funny in my opinion. I actually found myself choosing all the dialogue options instead of skimming.

Has it already been 10 years? Yikes, I must be getting older.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #11

You should check out Machinarium, it's a great little adventure game, similar to the style of the Samarost games. It's not really like Drawn in theme but i think it fits the theme of a light adventure.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Myst-loving person

I will check these out. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #13

Mmm, like Drawn? There are a lot of good Big Fish Games. Try Treasure Seekers - The Enchanted Canvases, or Serpent of Isis 2...