You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 3rd person/1st person variations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Senior Automaton

Default 3rd person/1st person variations

I love both first person and 3rd person adventure games. Both have their benefits and disadvantages and are great in their own ways. But are there any options or hybrids other than these two?

My favorite hybrid was the one used in Gabriel Knight 3. Strictly speaking, it was third person and you could see Gabriel on screen. But you also had independent control of the camera and move it absolutely anywhere you wanted away from the character - up, down, close up to objects, behind things.

I absolutely adored this system because it gave you the freedom and immersion of 1st person movement, along with seeing your character act out your orders. I wonder why has no other game taken it up? Are there any other games doing similar variations on the traditional 3rd person/1st person perspective?

I'd like to see more innovations like these, but can't think of many. Secret Files 2 was a 3rd person game but zoomed in on events, which I thought was cool. I'm thinking in future there will be some more interesting ideas. Unfortunately there is the problem that the more complex the camera movement usually means the game must be in 3D, which means less detailed non-prerendered graphics.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

In no way similar to GK3, but the Neverhood uses both 1st-person and 3rd-person perspective. If my memory serves me well, 1st person is used mainly outdoors.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

Remastered editions of Awakened and Nemesis have option to switch 1st and 3rd person views
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #4

Several FMV games use a combination of first- and third-person perspectives: First-person during puzzle-solving and navigation, and third-person in cut-scenes. Tex Murphy, Ripper and Black Dahlia are examples from the top of my head.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Easily amused

You can play Uru in either 1st or 3rd and switch between the 2.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
In no way similar to GK3, but the Neverhood uses both 1st-person and 3rd-person perspective. If my memory serves me well, 1st person is used mainly outdoors.
I'm not talking about 1st or 3rd person games (or both), but games without them. What other options are there? There are games with 1st person, games with 3rd person and games with both. I think GK3 falls into a different category entirely.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

The Experiment had sort of a "second-person" perspective, where you indirectly give orders to the character, who may or may not choose to follow them (and it's a brilliant game).
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
The Experiment had sort of a "second-person" perspective, where you indirectly give orders to the character, who may or may not choose to follow them (and it's a brilliant game).
That's what i'm talking about. I must check this out, it sounds fantastic!