You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure LucasArts' classic adventure titles - plagiarised?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
kamikaze hummingbirds

Default LucasArts' classic adventure titles - plagiarised?

Grim Fandango, The Secret of Monkey Island, Loom, Ed Hunter -- all classic LucasArts adventure games cherished by many and beloved by some for their rich and gritty storylines, photorealistic graphics, and intricate setpieces.
BUT -- evidence has risen up of late to suggest that all of LucasArts' ideas were plagiarised wholesale from ancient myths.
Here's what Doctor Harence Phinstraxp has to say:

Quote:
"The Legend of Gybyrsh Threpenswd is a myth from Anglo-Saxons detailing the story of one who wished to maraud across the seas in discovery of new lands and new treasures -- a number of passages in this epic poem are stolen and only slightly changed by LucasArts for their game The Secret of Monkey Island -- "you fight like a cow" originates from a line that roughly translated into English reads: "your combat has udders and is shoddy", the advertisement for Loom from the videogamular text is taken from the point in the Legend in which there is an advertisement for Beowulf, and the character of the used-ship salesman Stan is based upon the character in the poem of Stan the used ship salesman."
Phinstraxp goes on to talk about Maniac Mansion, too.

Quote:
"Maniac Mansion is the most shameless of them all: it is stolen quite completely and utterly from cave paintings dating back to the dawn of man -- that detail a selection of early homo erecti venturing in the dead of night into the cavern of a much afear'd mad scientist caveman man who has in his imprisoning clutches the smokin' hot girlfriend of the painting's apparent protagonist."
Can we still enjoy these old games, though? Will this new information hinder our enjoyment of these undisputed classics of gaming?
Harence Phinstraxp has disowned the games from his collection, Stephen Seagal on the other hand still cherishes the games and has threatened to fight all of the naysayers in the park at 5 o' clock next Tuesday, and Winona Ryder refused to talk to our reporters.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Psychonaut

LOL

Can you still try these things after 12 oClock.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #3

Doctor Phinstraxp is clearly talking rubbish. I have it on good authority that the Monkey Island franchise is actually based on the old Persian epic poem of Guybrushmesh, fith king of Turukwood. Legend has it he would introduce himself as "Guybrushmesh of Turukwood, mighty hero". It is said he also moonlighted as fine leather clothing merchant.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
LOL

Can you still try these things after 12 oClock.
I'm a lazy man and don't get up till after 12, most days.

Uhh...

I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

"Your combat has udders and is shoddy." That's so going to replace "You fight like a dairy-farmer" in my insult collection.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

Spoiler:
Methinks, April 1 strikes again!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Hi ya

It's funny, but when i was reading Arabian Nights i was amazed to find out that Simbad, on his 3rd voyage, arrived at Monkey Island (or maybe Monkey's Island). And he and the rest of the crew are attacked by a group of vicious monkeys that kicked them off their ship and stole it (same like some pantless hermit).