Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Which one of these games would you like to be next Lucasarts Special Edition? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28819-one-these-games-would-you-like-next-lucasarts-special-edition.html)

Sone3D 04-01-2011 02:59 AM

Which one of these games would you like to be next Lucasarts Special Edition?

Hi everyone!

Which one of these games would you like to be next Lucasarts Special Edition?

Sorry if this has been asked before in a poll format.

/debate ON

Sone3D 04-01-2011 03:06 AM

For me Day of the Tentacle, I think it is my favorite adventure game ever. With new graphics and sound I would play it again!

Ugh! 04-01-2011 04:05 AM

i voted for indie:fate of atlantis although any of the other titles would be very welcome also ;)

Oscar 04-01-2011 04:46 AM

None of them really need it but I voted Zak McKracken. Only because it's a great game but suffers from poor interface and graphics, and I never actually finished it for those reasons. Maniac Mansion would be cool as well.

I fear if they did Day of the Tentacle they would ruin the beautiful graphics and characters, which are better represented by a few pixels than high resolution graphics. I feel your mind does most of the work in figuring out what they look like, and when they did Guybrush it wasn't how I imagined him in the original.

pizzo 04-01-2011 05:12 AM

I think Grim Fandango is good enough for a remake. It would be nicely played on PlayStation 3.

aimless 04-01-2011 05:46 AM

All they need to do to Grim Fandango is make it playable without a patch. And publicize it. Give it some attention, for crying out loud.

Change the controls and you change an essential part of the game. Manny is the hotspot indicator in most places and you're not even going to notice some of them if you double click to zip from one place to another using a mouse. It was an interesting experiment on Schaeffer's part and I say leave it alone.

Kazmajik 04-01-2011 05:56 AM

I voted for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade because it's one of the games I haven't played, and a new edition would hook me right in for sure.

Ascovel 04-01-2011 06:06 AM

I also voted for Indie and the Last Crusade, but because it's the only game from the list I didn't like the graphic style of.

GreyFuss 04-01-2011 06:28 AM

The Dig is the only Lucas Arts game I liked so my vote goes to it. I know there are a lot of Lucas Arts lovers but quite frankly I didn't get anything from any of their games and didn't finish any of them except for The Dig

Stuart 04-01-2011 08:15 AM

I voted for Fate of Atlantis only because both times I played it (about 10 years apart) I ran into a game breaker/dead end where I forgot to do something and wasn't able to go back or progress.

Also, one of the ways to revive more interest in the genre would be again to use world famous franchises like Indiana Jones.

Speaking of which, is that Star Wars AG fan project still in development?

Fantasysci5 04-01-2011 08:47 AM

I voted for "Grim Fandango", because I just couldn't like the keyboard controls, and if they remade it, it would probably be slightly cheaper and I would feel compelled to play this classic that I never got through. :P

kate me 04-01-2011 09:04 AM

I am not very fond of special editions, even if I have played some, but I can't help it, the original is always better for me.......but ,you can have some fun outta them, so...

I'll say Indy and the fate of Atlantis!

SamandMax 04-01-2011 09:34 AM

Day of the Tentacle, mainly for the fact that I haven't played it in years and would love to go through it again.

Fixonic 04-01-2011 11:15 AM

I chose Grim Fandango mostly because it's hard for me to go back and play older 3D games. I'd like to see it redone. But in all honesty I'd be happy with any of them.

ozzie 04-01-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 576823)
I voted for Fate of Atlantis only because both times I played it (about 10 years apart) I ran into a game breaker/dead end where I forgot to do something and wasn't able to go back or progress.

Don't want to derail the thread, but which dead ends are you talking about? I played the game countless times and never encountered one, so I'm curious.

Also voted for Grim Fandango. Hope they'd fix the control scheme in a remake...

Stuart 04-01-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 576868)
Don't want to derail the thread, but which dead ends are you talking about? I played the game countless times and never encountered one, so I'm curious.

My memory is a bit poor but I think it is the stones you have to collect - I didn't get one of them and reached a stage where I couldn't go back and get them. I missed something in the Mayan Temple, I think you had to follow the man or something but I didn't realize, left, and reached a stage where I couldn't get back*.

* May not be entirely accurate but definitely a dead-end where I couldn't get the stone, even following the walkthrough.

Ascovel 04-01-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 576871)
* May not be entirely accurate but definitely a dead-end where I couldn't get the stone, even following the walkthrough.

Like ozzie I replayed the game countless times and are almost 100% sure I forgot to take the stones from all possible places where you use them in the game. And they were always retrievable, even though there was often a great number of backtracking involved - especially in Atlantis.

Oh, and if you mean that guy in Tikal (the Mayan temple), he was supposed to get away with the stone - you don't need it at this point.

That said it's entirely possible that there's some rare, unusual dead end in the game that was missed in play-testing during production and got into the final version. But it definitely isn't there by design and most people didn't stumble upon it at all, so you might have had some really rotten luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 576823)
Speaking of which, is that Star Wars AG fan project still in development?

There are several Star Wars AG fan projects in the making like Han Solo Adventures, Shadows of the Empire. The only fan game of this sort finished so far is actually more of an RPG than an adventure game, but it was made with Adventure Game Studio. It's called Shai-La of the Sith:

http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?...detail&id=1181

cmac739 04-01-2011 10:08 PM

Fate of Atlantis is AMAZING! This game needs to be remade so new age gamers can play an Indy game that doesn't suck

Rosswell 04-02-2011 12:12 AM

I think Maniac Mansion should get the treatment, this has been hinted for quite a while as Ron Gilbert has said he like to see it, Craig Derrick wants to do it, various LucasArts staff want to do it and since theres rumours of some big news been unveiled in May both Star Wars and non Star Wars related I think we will see a MM Special Edition at E3 this year.

rayvio 04-02-2011 02:01 AM

Loom or Maniac Mansion, I sided with Loom
many of the games frankly don't need much of an update. just a slight polish for higher resolutions and games like Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max would be perfect. older games like Loom, MM, Zak, etc would benefit more from a complete graphical and UI overhaul, just as long as they stayed true to the originals (compare the Monkey Island remakes to the so-so Broken Sword Directors Cut)

harald 04-02-2011 02:19 AM

I voted for Zak McKracken. In my - personal - opinion, the biggest advantage of these remakes is the addition of high-quality voice-overs. Then comes the new music and finally the improved graphics. Among LucasArts' adventures, only MM, Zak and Indy TLC lack voices and Zak McKracken is my favourite among those. :) Also, it would benefit from a smoother interface and its graphics are a tad simplistic. It's probably not the game that would sell best from that list, nor is it the superior game. But as a pixel-lover, I simply can't fathom how the beautiful graphics of for example Fate of Atlantis can put you off playing. :P

Bad Asp 04-02-2011 09:11 AM

I chose Sam and Max Hit the Road. I'm surprised no one chose that yet.

I think LucasArts should do something with that game to celebrate the duo's 25th anniversary (you know, what with their first comic series being released in 1987 and everything).

Captain Blondebeard 04-02-2011 07:58 PM

Considering that the main benefit of a SE game would be spicing up the art and giving voices I think most of these games don't work for me. I'd love to give Loom another run.

Weare6 04-03-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosswell (Post 576908)
I think Maniac Mansion should get the treatment, this has been hinted for quite a while as Ron Gilbert has said he like to see it, Craig Derrick wants to do it, various LucasArts staff want to do it and since theres rumours of some big news been unveiled in May both Star Wars and non Star Wars related I think we will see a MM Special Edition at E3 this year.

Yes I would love to see this re-mastered... I had such fond memories of playing this.
One of the first games I played where you could use 3 characters. awesome.
I hope your right Rosswell about the MM special edition being released.
It would be so good to replay the adventure with new fresh graphics
(hand drawn/painted of course) and full voice acting. Maybe with some extra locations and puzzles etc. But I would agree with most titles on that list... love to see them all re mastered over time.

Geothing 04-03-2011 05:09 PM

Indy FoA (there should be more than one choice though) :D

Oscar 04-03-2011 07:01 PM

I can't believe people want a Fate of Atlantis remake! The graphics were outstanding, some of the best ever made! They cannot be improved. I don't see how the music and voice could ever be improved either.

Realistically, I think what should happen is the most popular titles be remade first. Hopefully they will sell well, and more get made. People will start to realise how good old adventures are, and start buying all Lucasarts remakes. Then eventually popularity will soar and we may have the whole Lucasarts catalogue remade!

RobertNL84 04-04-2011 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 577071)
I can't believe people want a Fate of Atlantis remake! The graphics were outstanding, some of the best ever made! They cannot be improved. I don't see how the music and voice could ever be improved either.

Realistically, I think what should happen is the most popular titles be remade first. Hopefully they will sell well, and more get made. People will start to realise how good old adventures are, and start buying all Lucasarts remakes. Then eventually popularity will soar and we may have the whole Lucasarts catalogue remade!

Indeed,
I voted Maniac Mansion, because i would like to see a graphic update with voices. The other games already look great. DoTT is my favourite, however..it already looks good and doesnt desperately need the update.

papa_lazarou 04-05-2011 11:58 AM

I'd say DOTT or MM because they are two of the greatest lucas arts games apart from monkey island of course and they deserve the excellent re-furbish that Monkey Island got

MatthewJay 04-05-2011 02:48 PM

Picked Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis because I'm a die hard Doctor Jones fan

Weare6 04-05-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Asp (Post 576942)

I think LucasArts should do something with that game to celebrate the duo's 25th anniversary (you know, what with their first comic series being released in 1987 and everything).

Because in my opinion it dose not need it as much as Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and INDY: TLC. Like Harald mentioned None of these had voice overs.... and the graphics need updating for all.
With Sam and Max the graphics where pretty good if I remember and they had awesome voices.
But saying this you do have a point about the 25th anniversary.. it would be kind of nice to se it revamped.

CrimsonBlue 04-06-2011 03:35 AM

Fate of Atlantis. Because I'd love to hear the remixed, and because there's little chance of screwing up the main character design (I hate how for some reason Guybrush had to look goofy, because originally he was just a young and healthylooking prettyboy with a witty tongue - that's why other pirates didn't take him very seriously, because he didn't look intimidating or ugly or threatening enough, not because he was looked goofy).

Rosswell 04-06-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Asp (Post 576942)

Isn't 2012 also the 25th anniversary for Maniac Mansion and the SCUMM engine as well as the 30th Anniversary of LucasArts as a whole? Could be an interesting year if they figure it out themselves.

millenia 04-07-2011 02:48 PM

Voted Loom since it's ancient and really could use some polishing. Grim Fandango looks just great, like said it only needs a working release (GoG hello...) I would also be interested in new versions of The Dig, Fate of Atlantis, SamnMax and DoTT, these are still playable though. And why not Indy3 too, never really played it because of the action scenes and now it feels a bit too old. All the really old ones with dead ends and sudden deaths etc. would be nice to get redone more user friendly. I know Lucas wasn't as horrible in this as Sierra but these still exist.

Lagomorph 04-09-2011 12:15 PM

I want a Maniac Mansion/DOTT sequel.

laffer 04-09-2011 12:22 PM

Zak McKracken could be cool, even though the FM Towns version had nice enough graphics and music already... there is still one thing I would love to have which could make a remake of this game worth it -

An optional auto-mapping feature in the various labyrinths.
I've already finished the game the honest way several times, and now those labyrinths are just a huge annoyance which prevents me from replaying the game as often as I'd like.

However, Maniac Mansion never got an updated FM-Towns release, so this is the only Lucasarts adventure game (unless you count Labyrinth, I guess) stuck with 16 colors... so that's one reason to hope for a remake of that one (I'm not counting fan-made games).

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis could have been great *if* they had given it a decent budget and put enough work into to make it really great, and not just a semi-cheap feeling cash-in kind of remake.
It's such a fantastic game, it has the storyline I enjoy the most out of any Lucasarts games.

rayvio 04-10-2011 02:39 AM

if they remake Indy: Atlantis they should market it as "What Indy 4 Should Have Been" :P
ah if only...

Weare6 04-13-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayvio (Post 577626)
if they remake Indy: Atlantis they should market it as "What Indy 4 Should Have Been" :P
ah if only...

Ha... Nice... right on!