You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Playing Gabriel Knights 1 for the first time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

Default Playing Gabriel Knights 1 for the first time

I've basically heard that this game is gold around here...so it better not let me down!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #2

As long as you like serious storylines with a dark feel... you *will* like this game.
I can pretty much guarantee you won't be let down, this is one of those games that fully deserves its reputation... it's simply brilliant.
The only problem you might have is that other adventure games might seem less appealing now that you have this game to compare with

I'm a bit jealous that you can play it for the first time

By the way, it would be cool if you could post some updates here while playing, giving your impressions and such.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #3

I'm really liking this game...I like how you have to do a lot of investigating by talking to characters, learning stuff, then going back and talking to other people.

I'm finding that there is a good deal of pixel hunting due to the fact that hotspots don't have text underneath them...it hasn't been too much of a problem though. I'm also liking the dark story line...not just plot wise but in the dialogue as well.

I'm looking forward to playing more
Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Seeing how you already seem to like the game so much, at such an early point... I can say for sure that you will absolutely love this game!

It only gets better, you're in for quite a ride

BTW! Did you read the comic that came with the game? I'm asking as I know the GoG version lacks it, so if one doesn't already know the game came with that... it's easy to miss.
It can easily be found online and if you haven't already - I highly recommend you read it!
I actually remember the 'Sierra originals' or 'Sierra classics' or whatever they were called.. those rather small boxed re-releases of Sierra games we had back in the day... the GK one included the regular game manual advising you to read the comic book before playing the game... but they hadn't included the comic book!

Then you have the brilliant sequel... the thing about it is when playing it just after having finished GK1, one can easily feel a bit put off by the dramatic change in graphics style (full motion video), especially since that means new actors for everyone and obviously more cheese. But despite that, it's also such a wonderful game... the FMV that one might find a bit offputting at first ends up feeling like an essential part of the atmosphere in this game.

The third game still puts me off a bit because of its graphics, though... I really love it and playing through it was a great experience, but with GK3 I've never been able to shake the feeling that I find it a shame they went the 3D route... the 3D graphics, because of the age of the game, are just too simplistic to create the same great atmosphere the first two games in the series have, and to me that was always one of the most imporant aspects of these games.

On the bright side, though - at least GK3 has what I find to be a brilliant control scheme... very original and it works damn well. I wish more first person adventures would use this control scheme.

Last edited by laffer; 03-26-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Detective

I completely agree with Laffer, i bought the entire trilogy and it was amazing!! I can't say much without spoiling but oldies adventure games are really supreme, phew. I'm thinking about buying the Tex Murphy series because i really loved the casebook episodes and it seems the Tex is THE god of FMV adventures^^
Old 03-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #6

Not topic related but I was also playing GK1 for the first time and was just wondering about how days progress. Do you need to uncover X amount of clues/items before the next day progresses?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

Gabriel Knight literally changed my life. This game is the best thing I've ever played or maybe even experienced in terms of fiction entertainment.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown

Last edited by inm8#2; 03-27-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
Gabriel Knight literally changed my life. This game is the best thing I've ever played in my life.
Ha! Mine too! I love your siggy quote, "The Black Wolf" was such an interesting character, i really loved him most of all the GK "villains"(depends on your pov^^), the chemistry between him and Gabriel was also great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
Not topic related but I was also playing GK1 for the first time and was just wondering about how days progress. Do you need to uncover X amount of clues/items before the next day progresses?
Yeah, in GK1 it's important to pick every option in dialogue and sometimes return and do the same thing over because you get sub options. As for puzzles, i know i skipped the attic one and did it later on.

Last edited by SamuelGordon; 03-27-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Schattenjäger

iv kept a tradition of playing through GK1 once every year. This year it will probably be sometime in the summer. Its everything i want in an adventure game
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
some things have to be done on a specific day, some can be done later, some are completely optional and can be skipped but offer extra story info (much more common in GK3 than the first two though)
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 03-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #11

While playing this game, I discovered that voice acting is, for me, the key feature that prevents a game from becoming outdated (not other things, e.g. graphics). Does anyone feel the same?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #12

Thank you SamuelGordon & rayvio! Back to playing.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
While playing this game, I discovered that voice acting is, for me, the key feature that prevents a game from becoming outdated (not other things, e.g. graphics). Does anyone feel the same?
its pretty important, this game wouldnt be the same without the performances from tim curry, mark hamil, the narrator and an all around solid cast. I think the atmosphere also keeps it fresh with great music and a general eerie feeling.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac739 View Post
I've basically heard that this game is gold around here
Someone lied to you Name:  opanachke.gif
Views: 555
Size:  959 Bytes.

I wrote this on every forum I frequent: GK 1 is one hell of a game that desperately needs a (thorough) face-lift .
I wish they had made a remake of it instead of the Monkey Island games .
Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #15

Yes it is a fantastic game but my mind is slipping with old age and I have very little memories of it. I remember the voices and that you start off in a book shop
(Gabriel's Bookshop). I remember a Grave yard I think and some old ladies house.
pretty hopeless I know.... well this just means I will need to play it again... awesome!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #16
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
GK 1 is one hell of a game that desperately needs a (thorough) face-lift .
I wish they had made a remake of it instead of the Monkey Island games .
In a way I agree with you, as updated graphics etc. might open it up to another generation of gamers who are put off by pixels(!), but I am seriously worried that any remake would ruin it.

I can just about put up with them tacking bits onto Broken Sword and getting rid of half of the hotspots etc. (although the character portraits were a bridge too far for me personally!) but not Gabriel Knight, PLEASE!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #17
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
I can just about put up with them tacking bits onto Broken Sword and getting rid of half of the hotspots etc. (although the character portraits were a bridge too far for me personally!) but not Gabriel Knight, PLEASE!
When i said I would VERY much like to see a remake of GK 1, I meant that ONLY its graphics should be improved. All the other elements (story, puzzles, music, interface, ...) are perfect for me as they are now and shouldn't be changed. I hate it when they cripple the great adventures of the past to make them playable for the upcoming generations (as if those young people are morons).
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #18
Headbanger

GK 1 and 2 aren't nearly in need of a facelift as much as the third game is. Although to have special editions made of all three would be amazing.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #19
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
When i said I would VERY much like to see a remake of GK 1, I meant that ONLY its graphics should be improved. All the other elements (story, puzzles, music, interface, ...) are perfect for me as they are now and shouldn't be changed. I hate it when they cripple the great adventures of the past to make them playable for the upcoming generations (as if those young people are morons).
In that case sir, I believe we are in agreement!

Personally I don't have a problem with the old graphics, but if they put off following generations from playing this game then update them by all means! As long as the level of detail etc. is maintained of course.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #20
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
GK 1 and 2 aren't nearly in need of a facelift as much as the third game is.
I don't agree. The graphics in GK 2&3 are OK for me, but the graphics in GK 1 almost renders it unplayable ("gameplaywise", not "beautywise" ). At least for me, that is.

Quote:
Personally I don't have a problem with the old graphics
I'm not dying for the lush graphics either - I just want it not to be so much "pixel-distorted" * that I cannot spot the @$*!%y...
Spoiler:
... snake scale in the grass by the lake!

Not picking that thing up in the Day 1 stopped me from entering Day 5 (or was it Day 6?) the first time I played GK 1.

*BTW, a friend of mine used to (brilliantly) say those pixels were "the size of a fist" .

Quote:
In that case sir, I believe we are in agreement!
I too believe we do.

Last edited by zobraks; 03-28-2011 at 06:44 AM.