Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   If you had one chance to bring back... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28768-if-you-had-one-chance-bring-back.html)

dmouse097 03-24-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 575907)
Gabriel Knight or Police Quest for me as far as series are concerned.

Interesting. I'd have to agree as long as you mean the focus on character Sonny Bonds. I could not get my heart into Open Season, no matter how hard I tried.

Weare6 03-24-2011 04:11 PM

All the, ' Space Quest games ' and 'Maniac Mansion'!

Captain Blondebeard 03-24-2011 06:56 PM

Grim Fandango wasn't my favorite game ever(although it was great), but I think that it would translate very well to a series of modern games.

Captain Blondebeard 03-24-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonlblair (Post 575903)
I know I'm not alone in wanting another Gabriel Knight adventure--or even a successor to his throne, really. I loved the tone, humor, and horror of it and would like to see something new like it in the market today.

They were great stories and GK1 was a top 5 game ever IMO but the FMV followed by the seriously flawed 3d GK3 really kills my hopes of making another great game.

bakana 03-26-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 575997)
Omikron: the Nomad Soul, and Starship Titanic. I suppose the latter is impossible, unless another author were given permission by the Adams estate. (Rest in peace, Douglas.) :)

Well, Terry Jones wrote the novel Starship Titanic from Adams's initial concepts, and that was while Adams was still alive. So I'd imagine Jones could conceivably pen a sequel. Or, since the project had other authors working on it anyway, it's not something quite so precious as, say, The Guide, and some new talent could probably do it justice. And, heck, even if it were precious like The Guide...nothing stopped them from turning that into an abysmal movie after DNA's death, so they could still give it a shot!

For me the answer is easy: Ronzo, Schaeffer, and Grossman's actual Monkey Island 3, with Steve Purcell art directing the whole enterprise.

Ratatosk 03-26-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackVanian (Post 575992)
I have to say that since that whole Telltale/Sierra deal was announced I have hope for a new Gabriel Knight game for the first time in more than ten years. I have to admit that it's not so easy to imagine something like GK in Telltale style but I remain optimistic. If this would happen, Jane would surely be on board and having said that, I'm sure that something great would come out of the whole thing.

I really can't wait for further announcements from Telltale about the next Sierra franchise they'll bring back after King's Quest. Exciting times. :)

Out of all of the Sierra catalogue, Gabriel Knight actually lends itself naturally to an episodic formula if Telltale did get the license. In cannon, the games are broken down into days, so with multiple episodes of game, you would just play it (pardon the horrible pun) one day at a time.

It's completely plausible if it would ever be.

On topic: I wouldn’t mind an update or revisit to the Neuromancer game. With today’s technology, and if done right, there could be something special done with it to fill the cyberpunk hole in today’s market.

laffer 03-26-2011 08:36 PM

Gabriel Knight, no doubt... provided it was written by Jane Jensen and it would also have to be a full blown adventure game... not episodic or anything like that.

Days could be turned into episodes, granted... but I fear it would be quite different from the days in GK1, where you could explore quite a bit of the areas in any given day... and eventually you could go pretty much anywhere.
The issues I fear with episodic gaming is it could very well lead to every episode having a very sparse amount of locales.

Rhodan 04-04-2011 02:29 AM

I would not giving up hope on The Longest journey yet. And I must be the single person in the world who would like to see remake of The Feeble files (as sequel would be flat-out impossible even if Adventure soft were still running given how it´s story was self-contained).

Weare6 04-05-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laffer (Post 576228)
Gabriel Knight, no doubt... provided it was written by Jane Jensen and it would also have to be a full blown adventure game... not episodic or anything like that.

Days could be turned into episodes, granted... but I fear it would be quite different from the days in GK1, where you could explore quite a bit of the areas in any given day... and eventually you could go pretty much anywhere.
The issues I fear with episodic gaming is it could very well lead to every episode having a very sparse amount of locales.

Yeah I agree I am not a big fan of episodic adventures. It just seems to be an easy
quick money grabbing exercise for the game companies. Make a game but break it up in sections and sell it in episodes. nope not a fan.
Like you said they need a full game release and written by Jane Jensen indeed.

TLJ_DF 06-03-2011 01:51 PM

The longest journey, DF, Atlantis and ofcourse Little Big Adventure.

Esterlin 06-03-2011 02:04 PM

1) Quest for Glory VI
2) Gabriel Knight 4

DomStLeger 06-03-2011 02:44 PM

The Last Express, or Gabriel Knight or or Broken Sword or Discworld.

Or preferable, all 4!

rayvio 06-03-2011 03:05 PM

so many great games deserving of sequels but I'll pass over TLJ/Dreamfall (because I still have faith that we'll get one anyway) and say Gabriel Knight. out of all the different game series it's one of the few that consists of only truly great games (later Monkey Island and Broken Swords for example weren't half as good as the originals). GK1 is a classic example of the genre we all love, GK2 is a rare example of a fantastic FMV game (I know there's other beloved FMVs but there's so many cheesey and awful ones from when FMV was such a fad) and GK3 despite 3D graphics not really being impressive looking at the time offered a revolutionary interface that's lack of reuse is almost as tragic as the series being lost in the oblivion of licensing issues. all three games also boasted solid and entertaining stories at least equal to and better than many of the best novels or movies

edit: didn't notice I'd already posted in this one before. my initial BASS2 comment still stands though, but overall I'd prefer another GK

Interplay 06-04-2011 11:51 AM

I would love to see a sequel to or remake/reboot of Loom. That game had such an interesting puzzle mechanic, and I have very fond memories of that game in my childhood.

Axelfish 06-04-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotha (Post 575996)
mayyyyyybe Grim Fandango, if it was done right. But it wouldn't, so, hmm ...

I agree with the latter part, and that's why Grim Fandango should not have a sequel. I don't think it would be possible to create something this wonderful again. If you're feeling nostalgic, just play it some more, or watch a detailed walkthrough on Youtube

Lucky Strike 06-04-2011 01:32 PM

Definitely Grim Fandango. Either a remake of the original or a sequel, where you play as a new character that's trapped in the infamous Land of the Dead. It would be interesting if you started the game working at the Department of Death just like Manny in the first game, but with an entirely new plot to discover, aswell as a fresh array of intricate shady characters.

aimless 06-04-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axelfish (Post 581959)
I agree with the latter part, and that's why Grim Fandango should not have a sequel. I don't think it would be possible to create something this wonderful again. If you're feeling nostalgic, just play it some more, or watch a detailed walkthrough on Youtube

Totally agree. It's very unlikely that a sequel could come close to matching the original. Let it shine all on its own. All I want is for GOG to get it so everyone can play this great game on a modern computer. Watching the longplay on the Let's Play Archive may give you a taste but it's nothing like experiencing Grim Fandango firsthand.

rtrooney 06-04-2011 05:07 PM

A good Still Life sequel.
A good LSL, whether or not Al Lowe is involved
Syberia3 done by a competent developer.

Axelfish 06-05-2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 581974)
Totally agree. It's very unlikely that a sequel could come close to matching the original. Let it shine all on its own. All I want is for GOG to get it so everyone can play this great game on a modern computer. Watching the longplay on the Let's Play Archive may give you a taste but it's nothing like experiencing Grim Fandango firsthand.

Yep, it's an ageless classic, and the soundtrack always gets me. Especially Companeros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT4A-...eature=related

Sandman 06-05-2011 05:55 AM

Some of the old non-adventure games are actually being converted to HD. This includes games such as MGS 2, Silent Hill 2 & 3.

It should be fun to see old adventure games given same treatment. May be they can be re-made or rebooted. I would like to have Gabriel Knight series to be remade, rebooted or given new graphics HD treatment.