You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Default Tex Murphy games

I wanted to start this thread because I don't want to spam the "Grey matter" thread any longer!

"Under a killing moon" is one of those games that I always heard about, and how good it was, when it came out, and well after that, but for some reason I never played it!!

Well, I'm rectifying that problem; I'm playing through it now, almost done actually, and I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it!!

Yes, the game is way over the top cheesy, but the game itself is in the joke, it knows exactly what it is, and that makes for some truly hilarious scenes/conversations, in which a couple of times I actually caught myself laughing!

Also, I really love the feel of the FMV style adventure, there's something about seeing real people on the screen that just pulls you in the game, even in this game where the videos are grainy at best!

There are some "flaws" with the interface, some of them valid some not so much. Let me explain:

"Non-valid" reason(s)
Because you're playing in the first person, the game expects you to actually use it in a way you would use the real world; Now, because we're adventure gamers we don't always think like that, it's been so engrained in our heads to be "on a rail" that sometimes it's hard to look "around that corner" to find to find something, much like some people listening to their GPS'es over just having an awereness of their sourroundings; This is more of our failing in being so "directed" all the time that we can't see what's obviously there.

"Valid" reason(s)
Having said that, because the graphics are so primitive, and I'm absolutely not complaining here (about the graphics), some of the objects are just camouflaged into the enviroment, and because of my prior point, a couple of times, it lead to endless pixel hunting, until I tilted his head to directly look at something.
The last thing about the first person view is the movement; I'm not even sure it's really a flaw, because that's what they could do at the time, but moving tex from A>B sometimes can be frustrating.

The above is really nitpicking tough, and it should not stop you from playing this wonderful game!!

Let me hear it folks!!

PS> I'm liking this game so much I got all the games on the Tex Murphy catalog, so definitely pitch in with any suggestions/impressions about any of them...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Schattenjäger

The 4th game, pandora directive is a real masterpiece and the best in the series, enjoy it
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
The 4th game, pandora directive is a real masterpiece and the best in the series, enjoy it
Does it have the same tone as "Under a killing moon"?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Schattenjäger

definitely, it takes the best things about UaKM and makes it better (and it has multiple routes/endings)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Senior *female* member

I second that. The Pandora Directive is amazing.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #6

I love that series, amazing character. I think you will not be dissapointed. I love them all but definitely as the series progress it gets better.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

The Tex Murphy games are amazing and yes, it gets better as you go along. It's hard to dig the first 2 because of the graphics but Overseer, UAKM, and Pandora Directive are amazing.

Good news is, there is a chance we may see another Tex Murphy in the future, now that Chris Jones and his partner have the rights to the franchise again and have said it's not "if but when" a new one will come out.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #8

i've been wanting to replay this, but I just assumed that it wouldn't run on my current Win 7 PC.

Did you have any trouble with getting it to run?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
Senior Passer-by

Here's a couple of useful installers for Tex Murphy games:

The Pandora Directive
Under a Killing Moon

Something about getting Tex Murphy: Overseer to run ( read on).

Also check the Downloads on The Unofficial Tex Murphy web site.

Last edited by zobraks; 03-16-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #10

I agree 200%. The final (I hope not) Tex-trio is about the best ever. Certainly Pandora Directive is on my list of 2 dozen very best games out of hundreds!

There were also 2 earlier games which I also played through a long time ago. They were also extremely good for their times although very ancient even when I played them more than a decade ago!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

The Pandora Directive
Under a Killing Moon

I had no problem at all getting Under a killing moon to instal and play under DOSBOX, Unfortunately I have the DVD version of Overseer, and I remember, even back in the day I had problems getting it to run, one of the reasons I never played it I'm gonna have to get my hands on the CD version instead
Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #12

It's a long long time ago.
I bought & played Pandora as soon as it came out - about 15 years ago
Ditto with Overseer I seem to remember 2 or 3 years later.
I have the original boxed copies of course.
With regard to the latter ----- I remember that it came with several CD's is it 6 or 7?) plus I think the first DVD I ever received. IIRC, the DVD didn't work then and I believe that many others had the same prob. I believe I rather painstakingly installed and played the game without glitches using only the CD's!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

The Pandora Directive
Under a Killing Moon

Thanks! look forward to revisiting this. Tex games are some of my favorite games of all-time.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #14

I just bought 'Pandora' from GOG and it is hilariously good fun! I'd forgotten what a blast it is to play!

I'll be buying the rest of them in the next few weeks for sure.

GOG is one of the best things ever to have happened to the adventure scene as far as I am concerned. It's bringing back classic games to the 'frag' generation and getting it's hooks in.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #15

Quote:
I just bought 'Pandora' from GOG and it is hilariously good fun!
Good for GoG !!
Please don't give the impression that Pandora Directive is merely a humorous game.
"Tex Murphy" always adds a refreshing very light touch of humour - but the game is basically very serious and thrilling and wonderfully crafted.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Green View Post
Good for GoG !!
Please don't give the impression that Pandora Directive is merely a humorous game.
"Tex Murphy" always adds a refreshing very light touch of humour - but the game is basically very serious and thrilling and wonderfully crafted.
Absolutely! I meant that in the way that as I played it, aspects of the game I had forgotten popped back and it was a kind of a "Oh yeah! Brilliant!!!" moment! I'd laugh at how pleased I was.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #17

:~ ))
Old 03-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #18
She Wants Revenge

I am going to start playing the Pandora Directive for the first time now but I noticed it has two difficulty levels. Do I miss out on something important if I pick the easy one? Or is the harder one even really hard? I like my adventures rather on the easier side, (no bashing heads into walls) but if there's something to be missed out I'm ready for the challenge.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #19

I can't really remember - it's very many years ago.
I don't THING that you miss anything vital if you DO not take the harder route.
However - I do seem to remember the following.
There is an EXCELLENT built in hint system in the game which is graduated and doesn't just give you spoilers. IIRC that hint system is only available on the easier route.
I may be wrong & somebody may have better info than me !
Since it is one of the very best games ever, I think I played it twice - firstly taking the easier route and then again taking the harder one.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
I am going to start playing the Pandora Directive for the first time now but I noticed it has two difficulty levels. Do I miss out on something important if I pick the easy one? Or is the harder one even really hard? I like my adventures rather on the easier side, (no bashing heads into walls) but if there's something to be missed out I'm ready for the challenge.
Yeah , it's been years since i last played this but i think the easy and hard settings pertains to the hint system. No hints whatsoever on the hard settings.

Whichever setting , do expect to go pixel hunting for some of the tasks expected and there are six type of endings you can end the game at.