You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which real-life location would you base a adventure-game on?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrLOL View Post
Did some quick googling and found there's a legend of a Clay Golem that existed there long time ago crafted by 3 jewish wizards, could be a potential theme
If the story of Rabbi Loeb and the golem fascinates you, read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon
Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Dave Gilbert has a great post on his blog where he shows different spots in New York that he features in his blackwell games, many of which is simply "I walk past this place every day, thought it would be a good spot for a adventure-game scene",

Also Gabriel Knight 1 was brilliantly based on the real city.

while I'm glad not every game does this (would be boring in long-run) I think it gives those few games that does a great charm, and is somewhat educational as well, so my question is if you got to pick the location for a adventure-game which city would you pick?
And would you pick a certain theme associated with that location? kind of like how GK1 had to do with voodoo which I believe is a theme part of New Orleans history. or maybe a historical event?

----

Ok I'll start:
Stockholm, Sweden.
Probably not the best city at all but I haven't traveled much so I don't know many cities, it has quite alot of history and varied architecture, I'm thinking primarily how the streets gets much smaller as you go into "old town".

I would probably pick Christmast as time as Stockholm can get REALLY snowy sometimes so that would further characterise the location, also streets are beatifully decorated with christmast decoration in Stockholm.

As for theme/story I would go for either:
a) "The stockholm bloodbath", a historical medevial event where the streets were filled with blood, tho perhaps not since it's a very flat story simply a king returned and had many ppl executed, not much depth to it.
b) the recent Annah Lind murder, politician who was stabbed to death by maniac in a cloths-store, he was sentenced as just a mad man, but reading this story I've always thought that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that this madman would pick such a high politician as he doesn't seem to have any strong feelings about her politics (anti-CIA/911) so it feels to me there must be someone behind the scenes who told him to do so,
however seriously tho it would probably be distastefull for anyone to make a fictional take on such a recent murder.
c) "The Stockholm Syndrome", a term used in physcology but most people don't know of it's origins is from a bank-hostage-situation in Stockholm where the hostages sided with the criminals because of a phycological survival mechanism that's been dubbed "stockholm syndrome", playing through that historical event might be a ok game, altho not really adventure-game.
d) perhaps the infamous Olof Palme murder (sweidsh primeminster in like 1980), altho I'm not sure if games should really be based on real events, I think I rather it should be based on a locations folk-lore or rumours or something like that.
Of all the cities in the world, you had to take the one where I live in?

But I agree, Stockholm is an old town, and has a rich history, so you could probably make a decent story about, for example, as you mentioned, the bloodbath.
Or why not at game revolved aroun the events of the death of Gustav III (from Wikipedia):

"A masked ball took place at the Royal Opera House in Stockholm at midnight on 16 March 1792. Gustav had arrived earlier that evening to enjoy a dinner in the company of friends. During dinner, he received an anonymous letter that contained a threat to his life, but, as the king had received numerous threatening letters in the past, he chose to ignore it, and, after dining, left his rooms to take part in the masquerade."

more
Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
Of all the cities in the world, you had to take the one where I live in?
Hah, prove it!
I was there a couple of winters ago scouting for adventure-game-locations, see if you can figure out where I took the attached photo
(sorry for the lowres tho I have crappy internet-connection)

But yeah considering how few cities I've visited there >probably< are better cities out there but on the other hand sometimes taking a less used city rather than the paris/prague/london can be original

Cheers for that Gustav III story! if I ever need to assassinate someone I too will do it at a masquerade everything sounds twice as awesome that way
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonez View Post
Northumberland, the most northerly county of England, and where I lived most of my life, is a magical kingdom of castles, old towns, rugged coastlines, legends and historical and mythological gold. It has a beauty too, with the golden beaches of the coast, to the patchwork crop fields and on to the rolling green hills of the Cheviots. We also have a real gem in the form of Lindisfarne (otherwise known as Holy Island), the birthplace of Christianity throughout the UK. We also have standing stones, iron age hill forts, pre-historic art, army barracks, the fantastic Elizabethan ramparts of Berwick upon Tweed (my home town for many years), abandoned churches, Castles, folly's, ancient towns and villiages, castles, numerous wars, vikings and castles.
Cool. That does sound like an awesome area to set an adventure in. So much potential... I like it!
Also Kate Me had a great suggestion... 'The Point Reyes Coast in California'
The description ADan gave really set the imagination running. And the winchester mystery house... well that sound like a Adventure game thriller right there.
I like these locations... keep them coming!

Last edited by stepurhan; 03-04-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 02-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
The Dude

Quote:
Hah, prove it!
I was there a couple of winters ago scouting for adventure-game-locations, see if you can figure out where I took the attached photo
(sorry for the lowres tho I have crappy internet-connection)

But yeah considering how few cities I've visited there >probably< are better cities out there but on the other hand sometimes taking a less used city rather than the paris/prague/london can be original

Cheers for that Gustav III story! if I ever need to assassinate someone I too will do it at a masquerade everything sounds twice as awesome that way
HAH! That's easy

Sorry, didn't find any pics from that view on the Stockholm street-maps:

I guess you probably stood on the bridge (red arrow) when taking the pic?

The red circle on pic 1 is the last letters in the "Centralstation" -sig.

Anyways, that is from the city core, close to Vasagatan. Centralstation is the station that connects all the commuter trains in Stockholm (not the subway though, that would be T-centralen, just a couple of maybe 100 meters away).

On the upper left corner of your pic, we have the "World trade center" which has nothing to do with the 9/11 in NYC. This is just a business complex with the same name!

Very nice pic btw!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #26

mohahah so it's true! you do live there
You even guessed where I was standing, most people are really confused how I managed to get a photo from the "adventure-game-angle" (i.e. quite high up) they think I most have climbed up a roof-top

cheers.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #27

Quote:
"World trade center"
Lol don't worry about it. It's a very common name for important business centers in a country.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #28
Replicant

A futuristic Tokyo/Shanghai/any other metropolis would be awesome - not enough Cyberpunk adventure games nowadays! Something like Blade Runner would be epic. The closest for now will be the second sequel to my favourite game of all time, Deus Ex, but that is an action RPG not AG.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #29

the next Deus is gonna be sweeeeet indeed but yeah I see what you mean I love the town shots in the trailer but then it goes to a generic warehouse for generic duck and cover shooting and that parts looks boring, much rather have it be an adventure-game through that city.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #30

I'm in the planning stage with a photographic game, similar to the Carol Reed games, that will be set in rural Surrey. There will be woods, fields, medieval churches, smugglers and hopefully a 16th century inn! I have most of the locations scouted and I am writing the script now.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #31
Stalker of Britain

amunptah-That sounds so awesome! I can't wait to see how you progress!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #32
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by amunptah View Post
I'm in the planning stage with a photographic game, similar to the Carol Reed games, that will be set in rural Surrey. There will be woods, fields, medieval churches, smugglers and hopefully a 16th century inn! I have most of the locations scouted and I am writing the script now.
Sounds really cool! Good luck, and please keep us updated with how the game is developing!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #33

Default Hmm...

Are we including "escape from the room/building" type games as Adventure? If so...

A basement laundry room in Ontario, Canada.

I went to one whilst visiting a friend and it looked like the type of place you'd have in one of those games. I really rather wanted to start tweaking valves and undoing pipes (covering the drain beforehand to catch the "something fell out" key)...

Yeah; there.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #34

If you have ever seen an episode of Sapphire and Steel, whole storylines can be set in a room or a single house by flicking through different times.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by amunptah View Post
It's good to see you still active. From the inactivity of both of your blog and podiobook, I thought you'd abandoned such efforts.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #36

It's been done for me the exact story that suits the setting in BS1.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareTrinity View Post
Are we including "escape from the room/building" type games as Adventure? If so...

A basement laundry room in Ontario, Canada.
Lol not what I was expecting to hear but out of the box is cool too

Quote:
If you have ever seen an episode of Sapphire and Steel, whole storylines can be set in a room or a single house by flicking through different times.
Never heard of it, but adding to my to-watch list I like really epic adventure-games that spawn many locations and years of time (TLJ, Grim etc), but I also like the idea of short/medium more experimental games that perhaps only takes place in a single well-crafted house so maybe Sapphire & Steel has some good inspiration for that