You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Question about Steam alternatives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Replicant

Default Question about Steam alternatives

Just a question about digital download services. I love Steam and made a list of adventure games on Steam here some time back. But Steam's catalogue of adventure games is sorely lacking (still no confirmation if even Gray Matter will be on there!) and because of that and my reluctance to buy hard copies anymore, I've still not played games like Syberia and Broken Sword 4.

I've been looking around and Adventure Shop seems like a good place for new school adventure releases but their prices seem a bit high for some games and I've also noticed it doesn't have a lot of classics like Gabriel Knight. Is there any one site (I don't want to buy games on a billion different digital download sites) that has the perfect mix of new adventures and old school ones?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

How about 2 or 3 digital sites instead of a billion?

GOG and DotEMU are great places for buying old school adventures, for example, and I think if we will support multiple digital download sites the quality of the services will benefit from it. A single shop brand completely dominating is never good.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Replicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
How about 2 or 3 digital sites instead of a billion?
Well I was exaggerating about a billion, I'm just OCD about keeping my collection(s) as tidy and minimalist as possible and would prefer to only use one Steam alternative.

Quote:
GOG and DotEMU are great places for buying old school adventures, for example, and I think if we will support multiple digital download sites the quality of the services will benefit from it. A single shop brand completely dominating is never good.
Just had a look at both, never heard of DotEMU before but GOG is familiar. Both seem to specialize in older games, so just to follow up, is Adventure Shop definitely the best place for new school adventure games (price + availability-wise)?

Edit: Just saw the one called GamersGate which seems to have a nice stock of AGs.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Well I was exaggerating about a billion, I'm just OCD about keeping my collection(s) as tidy and minimalist as possible and would prefer to only use one Steam alternative.
Games purchased outside of the Steam store can still be run through the Steam platform, thus letting you keep everything listed in a singular place. Sites like GOG and DotEMU that Ascovel suggested don't have their own clients (you just get the .exe), so there'll be no problem putting them on your Steam library.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
She Wants Revenge

I use Steam, GoG and Adventure Shop. So far had no need for the other places though I have checked their sales now and then.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I use Bigfishgames, and have both my Syberia games through them. While they have a mix of old and new (they have all the kheops games I think), they mainly distribute casual games, so you can't find everything there.
Even so, I'm fond of both their subscription option, the pricing and the game manager.

Other than that, I've got games through GOG, Adventure shop (who I'm never happy with, their costumer service is non-existing, so I only use them when I have to, ala don't find the game in any other shop) and Steam.

If I had a choice, I would prefer only using Steam and Bigfishgames, though GOG has been great so far, good download options, good pricing, and really good support for newer systems.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Gamersgate.com has a varied selection of games. I picked up The Lost Crown during a sale, as well as Darkfall and a bunch of others.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #8

Also, Stardock's Impulse.
www.impulsedriven.com
You use the Impulse client to download the game and get access to community, your purchased titles etc, but games bought there don't require Impulse to run. I like it a lot. They have a lot of little know gems and indie games, too.
http://impulsedriven.com/explore/games/adventure