Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   The Lost Crown (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28529-lost-crown.html)

neilsolent 02-13-2011 01:53 AM

The Lost Crown

The Lost Crown - what a brilliant game.
I mean, it's annoying how Nigel Danvers waltzes around so slowly at times, and I'll never know why the developer made it so ssslllooowwww to save and quit the game -but evertyhing else is absolutely superb.

My question is - what is the closest thing to this game available for a Mac?

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,
Neil

mrLOL 02-13-2011 02:14 AM

I just started playing it yesterday after it was recommended in the "landscape"-thread, what a crap game! :P

or well I'll continue playing it for a while hopefully it gets better (the thread poster recommended arriving into the saxton city so I'll play to there before judging the game) but so far I guess my main question is why would anyone base a game on modern-day Britain?!? I mean Sherlock holmes era london sure, but surely modern Britain must be the most boring location on earth to base a story at :S I mean what's next? GTA: Aberdeen!? :P

neilsolent 02-13-2011 02:21 AM

Fair enough, each to their own! I'm surprised you aren't enjoying it though. If you've ever been to Cornwall (where it is really set - not the Fens) the game really captures the historic and romantic feel of that part of the country. Sometimes subtlety delivers a bigger punch than fantasy (less is more).

Anyway - back to the original question - anyone any recommendations of a similar game available for a Mac?

Fantasysci5 02-13-2011 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrLOL (Post 572036)
but surely modern Britain must be the most boring location on earth to base a story at :S

*shock gasp horror* Please excuse me a second as I pet my avatar...

Okay, I'm back. I really love "The Lost Crown", and I hope it picks up for you once you reach Saxton. And believe me, I think locating it in Britain is genius, but that's just me.

And I'm afraid I don't know any games like this for Mac. :/

cbman 02-13-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

I just started playing it yesterday after it was recommended in the "landscape"-thread, what a crap game! :P

or well I'll continue playing it for a while hopefully it gets better (the thread poster recommended arriving into the saxton city so I'll play to there before judging the game) but so far I guess my main question is why would anyone base a game on modern-day Britain?!? I mean Sherlock holmes era london sure, but surely modern Britain must be the most boring location on earth to base a story at :S I mean what's next? GTA: Aberdeen!? :P

You could set an interesting game in any country. All countries have history, mythology, beautiful landscapes, unique culture, flora and fauna.

You can't have given the game much of a chance if you haven't reached Saxton yet - it's right at the beginning!

And i'm a bit puzzled why you've picked out Aberdeen as the worst location in Britain... surely there's far less exotic places like say, Swindon or Bradford?

Oh, and 'Sherlock Holmes era London' is VICTORIAN London. Fairly well known.

This latest post of yours makes me wonder if you're old enough to actually be playing those games being talked about in your 'big ass titties' thread! You have a very youthful "been nowhere; seen nothing" lack of appreciation for your country.

rottford 02-13-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

I thought the modern-day England setting was genius! Out of curiosity, mrLOL, what modern-day location would you consider interesting?

Ag1 02-13-2011 09:38 AM

This is a game I started a couple times and didn't progress very far. One time I didn't even get past the first puzzle
Spoiler:
(it really is awful, the one with the sign you can read but apparently it has to be pixel perfect for Nigel)
. But eventually I played it to a point where I felt it was a game I didn't want to end, until actually near the end where really I had had enough :D. imo it starts off luke warm, then gets "meh", then starts getting decent
Spoiler:
(around when you first leave Saxton along the train track)
, then stays good for the bulk of the game, until towards the end. It has its quirks but if you see past them you might like the story and atmosphere. Its a game where it helps for you to be in the mood for it tho and to not feel like you want to rush through it.

Barrow Hill is another game I started a few times, but now I have progressed a bit further and it may actually be half decent, not sure yet.

Dark Fall: Lost Souls is a good one too (by same guy as Lost Crown), but its more in your face sort of horror

Sik 02-13-2011 10:16 AM

I don't really know of any games similar to The Lost Crown on any platform, but if you want to replay it on a MAC, or lend it to a friend with a MAC, it works just fine with Wine. I've played through most of it with Wine version 1.3.13 on a laptop with Linux, and the only issue I've run into is that thumbnails for savegames don't work.

Mohlin 02-14-2011 07:55 AM

What's wrong with modern settings? I'm getting a bit tired of "On a dark and stormy night, you arrive at a abandoned victorian house..." theme.

A daylight horror in New York would be a challange.