Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   moving moments in Adventure games (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28528-moving-moments-adventure-games.html)

rayvio 02-13-2011 01:12 AM

moving moments in Adventure games

a question was asked on another forum about moving moments in games, and I was surprised at how few Adventure games I could think of off the top of my head. there's Faith's story from Dreamfall of course, and the ending of Keepsake but I couldn't for the life think of anything else that could quite rival Dragon Age (city elf origin) or Mass Effect ("I Remember Me" or Tali, Jack and Mordin's loyalty quests in ME2) from our beloved genre
I'm sure though that there must be more that I've either forgotten (shame on me!) or never experienced (must be rectified!)
so... thoughts? examples?

Jelena 02-13-2011 01:56 AM

The Syberia games provides with moving moments in the end of both games. At least I was moved
Spoiler:
both when Kate ran after the train and when Hans rides off on the mammoth.

But that's just me. ;)

Ascovel 02-13-2011 02:02 AM

Lots of stuff in Gabriel Knight 2.
Quite a few scenes in Black Dahlia.
The beginning and ending of Riven (in great part thanks to Myst).
The ending of Azrael's Tear.
The ending of Dreamweb.

There are many more moving moments in adventure games - these are just some of my favorites. And I'm sure things like that are highly subjective, so every one has different ones.

small dickie 02-13-2011 02:09 AM

The endings of Gabriel Knight 1 and 3 are moving, powerful and romance-themed.

skaata 02-13-2011 02:36 AM

I agree about those games you have listed here, but I think the most moving moment in an adventure game is the end of Grim Fandango. Remember having tears in my eyes:)

Fantasysci5 02-13-2011 03:08 AM

The ending of 'Dreamfall', with Faith and everything is the most moving moment to me. I haven't been that involved in yelling at the screen when the credits roll for any game. lol

drunk 02-13-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 572033)
The Syberia games provides with moving moments in the end of both games.

I totally agree with that. :)
When I read the title of this thread these were the first games coming to my mind.

The Blackwell games are very touching.

And The Longest Journey has also great moving moments.

Panthera 02-13-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 572033)
The Syberia games provides with moving moments in the end of both games. At least I was moved
Spoiler:
both when Kate ran after the train and when Hans rides off on the mammoth.

But that's just me. ;)

I still cry near the end of Syberia 2 when Oscar
Spoiler:
sacrifices himself for Hans.
But then I seem to be the only one that actually like Oscar..

I totally agree that the Syberia games provide moving moments, also think TLJ and Dreamfall deserve a definition as games with touching moments.

Then we have the games that would have touching moments if they did it a bit better, like Lost Horizon when he
Spoiler:
sees Kim again, and the ending when they end up together (which I still find completely silly, she had no romantic development throughout the game, and I would personally be pissed if my companion just left the country and not even bothered to find out if I was really dead),
and Secret Files 2. Unfortunately I think both those games completely fail to create touching moments with their romance stories.

millenia 02-13-2011 06:58 AM

Oscar in Syberia was more moving than the endings in either game, and they were quite moving too.

I have to agree with Dreamfall, it is just superb. Both Faith and Zoë.
Spoiler:
I still cry when I think about Wonkers sitting there and waiting for Zoë to wake up

I am also sure there's a lot more. Jensen's games, Discworld Noir, Fahrenheit and Culpa Innata for example are very engaging games where you also "feel" the story and not just play through it but I can't really pinpoint a specific moment now.

mrLOL 02-13-2011 07:48 AM

When you save a random boy's life by giving CPR in Fahreinheit it gave me a powerful feeling, and I think that's a good example of how it doesn't need to be a huge climatic ending for you to get emotional it can be a tiny 5 minute side-quest like saving the random boy.

Grim Fandango ending I second the tears in my eyes, I was really trying not to cry since my parents was in the room and it was embarrasing to cry :P

rottford 02-13-2011 08:20 AM

Grim Fandango, without a doubt. There's nothing easy about saying goodbye to Glottis;) It's the "we'll always have Paris" moment of adventure games. Only with a skeleton and a demon.

Also, without a doubt, the scene in Still Life between Mark Ackerman and Gus MacPherson in the sewers of Prague. Can't say much more without spoiling the game;) It left me in shock and sadness.

aimless 02-13-2011 08:27 AM

I disliked Hans intensely
Spoiler:
when he sacrificed Oscar's mechanical life to save his own and it really took some of the edge off actually finding the mammoths.

But for me, Grim Fandango was the most moving. I didn't want it to end and like some of you I had tears in my eyes when it did and I had to leave Manny and Meche and Glottis. Yet, I don't ever want a sequel; it's perfect as it is.

millenia 02-13-2011 09:34 AM

Aimless you have two rather big spoilers in your first paragraph, perhaps you should put it in spoiler tags and only mention the game in visible part.

Trunkyo 02-13-2011 09:45 AM

Each of the good endings in Riven and Myst III, IV and V had touching moments (reunions, pondering of regrets, hopes for the future).

myfinalheaven 02-13-2011 10:27 AM

Quest for Glory IV, damnit! The dream sequences between the Hero and Erana remain my favourite moment of adventure gaming.

inm8#2 02-13-2011 11:58 AM

This is a small one, but Scratches was emotional for me in some parts. Specifically,

Spoiler:
when you find Catherine's remains in the yard

That moment was just intensely sad to me.

LadyLinda 02-13-2011 12:15 PM

Definately the ending of Grim Fandango and there was one other moment in GF where I definately teared up: :\
Spoiler:
when Glottis got sick.
I really thought he was going to die.

Periglo 02-13-2011 12:41 PM

What was very touching for me in Syberia 2 was
Spoiler:
the trip back to chilhood

I am in fact quite a sucker for these kind of moments. I entertain the idea of starting a thread about them some time.

lipsum 02-13-2011 02:42 PM

Sanitarium has its moments, and I join those who love the endings of both Syberias. Amerzone should be mentioned for dealing with old age, unfulfilled dreams and hopes. It has some sad, touching moments right from the start.

Ascovel 02-13-2011 03:41 PM

The Dark Eye had some touching character moments in-between the horror.