You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Paris in the fall...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #1

Default Paris in the fall...

Just bought Broken Sword: The Directors Cut on my iPhone, and although it was beautifully ported, I didn't dig the tacked-on Nico scene in the beginning.

But the most atrocious thing is Revolution getting rid of the opening phrase, "Paris in the fall" -- the phrase represented many great memories for George Stobbart, and it represented one of the greatest adventure gaming experiences in my life! The quote means even more to me than, "I'm selling these fine leather jackets," or, "You fight like a dairy farmer" -- did anyone else feel the same way?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #2

i can't say i feel the same since i haven't played it but i do agree that this is an important phrase for BS.so yeah i'm with you on this.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
lost in rubacava

Another gripe about the atrocious removal of "Paris in the fall...." I can't believe the fuss raised over four little words. They're still there in the original, "unadulturated" game for those who insist on them. Personally, I enjoyed the Director's Cut, including the "tacked-on" section in the beginning that makes Nico a player, not just a part of the scenery. AFAIC, Revolution improved the game. And I don't miss the *@!^ goat puzzle at all.

Last edited by aimless; 02-13-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #4

aimless that phrase is one of the classics of the game.it's like a catchphrase or sth.i also liked the new parts with nico since they explain a lot of things about the game's story that were left unanswered(this is one reason that i don't look forward to BS2 remastered since there's no new content).but still you have to keep the things that everybody liked.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

I totally miss the goat puzzle. It was brilliant. And that "Paris in the fall..." phrase sounds like a Steve Ince thing. I'm sure he must be heartbroken!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
MoP
Comfortably Numb

I have to say, someone needs to let Revolution know, "Director's Cut" doesn't mean cuttin' stuff out. I haven't played these yet, but every time I hear/read something about them, it's something negative.

Goat puzzle, death sequences, now You tell me, the bloody opening line? I don't get it.
Can't comment on the added stuff, but from what I saw, namely the character portraits, are just terrible and out of place (but that's obviously a matter of taste).

Might sound like absurd nitpicking for someone new to the series (and I get this is an edition exactly for them), but come on... I might as well stay away I guess, since it sounds like it's going to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
I totally miss the goat puzzle. It was brilliant. And that "Paris in the fall..." phrase sounds like a Steve Ince thing. I'm sure he must be heartbroken!
Steve worked on the Director's Cut, so I guess he had to have had a say... and I gotta say, I'm disappointed.

Alright, enough whining
Old 02-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #7

Glad to hear I'm not alone. As for Nico's scenes, I'm curious: Was the part written by the original team but cut, or was it written after the fact? If it's the former, I think it would help me enjoy the added bits more.

And I agree about the goat puzzle, lol
Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
Can't comment on the added stuff, but from what I saw, namely the character portraits, are just terrible and out of place (but that's obviously a matter of taste).
Yup, I guess it is. Strange, I didn't expect to become an iconoclast at my age but I liked the character portraits and I missed them when I replayed the original game. As you say, a matter of taste.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
Yup, I guess it is. Strange, I didn't expect to become an iconoclast at my age but I liked the character portraits and I missed them when I replayed the original game. As you say, a matter of taste.

I agree. They're not as bad as I thought they would be! In fact, they update the game in a way that I think could attract newcomers to the series. I also really didn't care that the mouths didn't move.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #10

I don't like those character portraits either!
My impresion is that it makes George look like an obidient child, and they don't look like him either. (if Dave sees this: sorry, it's just my opinion )
I played the Director's cut , but despite "the famous line" I really enjoyed playing more of Nico's part and her intro and the new puzzles.
Keep going Revolution!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
I agree. They're not as bad as I thought they would be! In fact, they update the game in a way that I think could attract newcomers to the series. I also really didn't care that the mouths didn't move.
I think it helped that they changed expression when it was called for so they weren't entirely static.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #12

yeah but i think they change the whole feeling of Stobbart(at least Stobbie who is the protagonist).i mean he's witty and sarcastic a lot and sometimes just plain ignorant(for lack of a better word) something that i couldn't quite see in these portraits and most of the time he seems like a lifeless puppet.it could be the mouth that doesn't move that helps this but in the end that's all it matters.maybe they are an upgrade graphically and a nice idea but they at least shouldn't change the feeling of the game.they should be more carefully made to match it.

as for the goat puzzle i'd miss it too...i think it's got a sentimental value at this point.something like paris in the fall.

Spoiler:
i also don't know when Revolution actually made the new content that they presented in DC but i always wondered what's the deal with Plantard?where does he fit into all this apart from giving you an important item?where did he get it?also that part about khan and his past murders.why where they even connected to this story?where they just there to fill in some dialog and make it easier to spot that it's the same serial killer with the cafe's bombing because of the suits?why were they killed?did they have a connection to the Neo-Templar's somehow?were they like Plantard?or were they just irrelevant victims of the same murderer that was somehow hired for this case.many questions that seem to increase after you find out that Khan is a Hashashin and has more than just a hired murderer's involvement in this.
and DC solves those.i really liked that we got to see one of those murders in DC and find out more about them and their involvement to the story.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #13

Haven't played the remake, but I quote that line all the time with my 2 real life friends who know it.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
Steve Ince didn't work as a writer on the series until Broken Sword 3. I think on BS1 he worked as a producer.

As for my own impressions of the DC, so far I've only played the beginning segment with Nico and have to say on its own it's really well done and I like the character portraits, as well as the bonus close-ups of items/dead bodies etc. However, the changes made to the old intro and pushing it much farther into the game take a lot of power out of the perfect opening in the original version. Not the best of choices.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Lovable rogue

I saw the title of this thread and thought "someone must be playing Broken Sword", that's how much the line is connected to the game, so I'm sad to hear they've removed it. It's exactly what always comes to mind when I think back to Broken Sword, the image of standing outside that cafe on a Parisian Autumn afternoon, and it made me want visit the French capital at that time of year.

I think I'll probably stick to my PC version next time I fancy another run through, instead of considering an 'upgrade.'

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #16

I have the PC origonal. I bought the DS port of BS-DC because I heard it was full of new content - in fact changed so much as to be almost a new game.

And it didn't disappoint - it played in new and exciting ways and I love the new version - and so did critics - it was a highly rated game.

I don't miss "Paris in the Fall" or the goat puzzle one bit. I will play the DC version of this game again - its that good. A true classic in my book.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 02-15-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #17
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Steve Ince didn't work as a writer on the series until Broken Sword 3. I think on BS1 he worked as a producer.
Interesting, I didn't know that!

And you're about the intro missing power, which is a shame because the original is one of the very best intros in adventures. Still, in spite of everything, I did enjoy the remake.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #18

Yep, I really missed that phrase. I know it's not the end of the millennium anymore, but that is when the game was set! Otherwise George should have a mobile, iPod, laptop etc, thus eliminating the need for half of the research he does in the game on foot.
I also missed a lot of the extra dialogue and jokes.
I found the portraits ugly and annoying - do I really need to see the characters grinning inanely? I want to see the beautiful animations instead!
My hope for the Director's Cut was going to be modern hardware support, higher res graphics and re-encoded audio. Instead everything was just a bit patchy, and the game looks hideous in full screen. Kinda spoiled my favourite game!
Nevertheless, I enjoyed the puzzle variety and sharp writing of Nico's sections.
I would advise anyone to play the original game first, and then take the DC for what it is.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #19

I remember when I've first read about DC version here on Adventure Gamers and how angry I was when it seemed this won't be released on the PC. The main reason was one eye-candy looking screenshot I saw in the article. Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love the graphic style of the first two "Broken Sword" games, but I also think that some legendary games can benefit from the modern facelift and refreshment, even in the eyes of the old-school fans. The remastered versions of "Monkey Island" first comes to my mind. I was expecting something like that in the DC version. Instead, they're sticked to the original graphic and added some details on top of it that style-wise simply feel out-of-the-place.

As for the opening phrase... IMO, the spirit of "Broken Sword" is contained in that sentence.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 AM   #20
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
As for the opening phrase... IMO, the spirit of "Broken Sword" is contained in that sentence.
I know it will sound silly to anyone who hasn't played the original, but this opening is honestly one of the iconic moments of adventure gaming. Most game intros aren't really that great, but this is an example of when it all came together to perfectly set a scene.

In my opinion it is up there with other famous opening lines from books and films;

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him."

"Paris in the fall, the last months of the year, at the end of the millenium. The city holds many memories for me, of music, of cafes, of love, and of death."

There is just something about openings like this that is magical, where words become art.