Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Allow me to vent about Fate Of Atlantis (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28511-allow-me-vent-about-fate-atlantis.html)

weemies 02-11-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 571720)
Somehow it always makes me wonder why most of the people out there say it's a classic in a vein of Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max Hit the Road.

That's funny you should say that. Fate of Atlantis is one of my favorite games ever whereas I found Sam and Max Hit the Road to be kind of boring. I mean it was okay but it's not anywhere near my favorite LucasArts games. DOTT we agree about however. There are as many tastes as there are people.

River 02-11-2011 11:15 PM

I agree. I prefer Indy IV and DOTT over Sam & Max in every aspect. The Dig was also boring at least for me.

zobraks 02-12-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weemies (Post 571922)
There are as many tastes as there are people.

Amen to that. :)

In other words: One hundred men - one hundred opinions, one hundred women - two hundred tits.
This was only a (bad) joke. Sorry.

Captain Blondebeard 02-12-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 571932)
Amen to that. :)

In other words: One hundred men - one hundred opinions, one hundred women - two hundred tits.
This was only a (bad) joke. Sorry.

That was fantastic.

Fien 02-12-2011 09:32 AM

It's not even funny, it's nothing... including the hypocritical "sorry".

Feminists of all countries, unite!

Gonchi 02-12-2011 12:07 PM

I also like Sam & Max, but if I were to make a ranking of LucasArts adventure games, Sam & Max would actually be pretty low, ahead only of The Dig, possibly, and Escape from Monkey Island. But like I've said before, even at it's weakest LucasArts' games are still good.

As for Fate of Atlantis, I just really love Indiana Jones. I even have and like the highly maligned Desktop Adventures.

sierramindy 02-12-2011 12:45 PM

I agree with Fien! I think one would have to be brain-dead to find something that stupid to be funny in this day and age!

ozzie 02-12-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 571980)
It's not even funny, it's nothing... including the hypocritical "sorry".

Well yeah, I agree with you on that one! :P

ghettodoghammer 02-12-2011 03:13 PM

The first part of Fate of Atlantis is great, but after you leave New York City the game goes downhill fast. IMO the first part of the game is the only part worth playing.

ozzie 02-13-2011 08:54 AM

Why's that? The part in NYC is rather short anyway. :P

Lee in Limbo 02-13-2011 09:22 AM

I don't remember any part of FoA being hard. I actually found it one of the only 'classic' adventure games of that nature to be highly enjoyable. *shrug*

Captain Blondebeard 02-13-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierramindy (Post 571992)
I agree with Fien! I think one would have to be brain-dead to find something that stupid to be funny in this day and age!

So I guess we should just look for things to offend us since that's the "day and age" we live in. I thought it was kind of clever but you totally won me over. My funny meter has now adjusted with the times.

Weare6 02-13-2011 06:07 PM

Indy: Fate of Atlantis was Great! ....... Indy: The Last Crusade.... meh! just O.K

Stonez 02-14-2011 08:33 AM

I too loved Indy, it was a cracker of a game. It seems though that I must be the only person in the world that absolutely loves The Dig? I used to play it on my DX2100mghz PC way back when. Sure it had crappy dialog, and yes the puzzles were a little too hard/abstract, but other than the impossible 'Rama' there was nothing like it.

:D

rayvio 02-14-2011 09:28 AM

when I first bought The Dig I was a little disapointed that it wasn't a comedy like most of the other well known Lucas games at the time were, but it quickly grew on me, and it stayed in my memory well enough that even though it was couple of years since the last time I'd played The Dig, when I first played through Mass Effect I suddenly noticed "hey that's Maggy's voice from The Dig!"

Tiocfaidh 02-14-2011 10:04 AM

I really love Indy IV-FOA.
Multiple paths are awesome, well thought out and the Indy atmosphere really comes across.
Soundtrack & voice acting = first class as well.

Can´t remember that the submarine sequence was that frustating.
Only part I wasn´t too fond of actually was Atlantis itself.
Visually it was pretty boring compared to the rest of the game.
And I didn´t care about most of those machine puzzles & avoiding Nazis.
Something i didn´t care about in Indy 3 either.

I am a big fan of LucasArts adventures in general.
Back in the late 80´s Maniac Mansion was the game that sparked my interest in adventure gaming.

Only ones I didn´t care for are

Sam & Max, although it has many positive aspects I couldn´t get into it
(can´t relate to a cartoon dog & rabbit at all).

The Dig, interesting concept but very tedious gameplay & puzzles.

Escape From Monkey Island not as bad as many claim it to be, but 3D was the wrong way to go,
it suited Grim Fandango being a stand alone game, but as continuation to MI series it was a huge letdown visually

Not as great as the others but still cool:

Indy 3 was pretty lackluster compared to all the others which came out in the early 90´s. But hey - it´s still Indiana Jones after all.

Loom had to get used to it but it has a unique style & interface which I appreciate, it´s a beautiful little gem

Zak McKracken - hate mazes & dead ends - this one had plenty of both, at least till
Spoiler:
you won the lottery

All the others are very good if not great,

Monkey Island 2 ending still sucks but replaying the SE made me appreciate it me much more

Curse of Monkey Island - Very, very good, but the horrendous final chapter leaves a bitter aftertaste

Full Throttle is way too easy but features memorable characters, soundtrack, story & an awesome showdown which would work great on the big screen.

Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
Secret of Monkey Island
Fate of Atlantis
Grim Fandango

are masterpieces

Captain Blondebeard 02-14-2011 12:12 PM

I thought the ending of MI2 was phenominal.

Tiocfaidh 02-14-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard (Post 572196)
I thought the ending of MI2 was phenominal.

If the makers of MI2 would have continued the series it could have been great.

As it is now, it led nowhere.

I only remember playing hours and hours and hours through it, managing to defeat LeChuck after the unnerving timed showdown and then getting this :crazy:

It just felt cheap, that was my initial reaction.

Huz 02-14-2011 02:36 PM

Reading this thread is making me want to replay Fate of Atlantis right now. I can hear the generic music from Atlantis - the stuff you hear in practically every room because it's all the same. Ooh man. Even the boring bits are great in my memory.

rayvio 02-14-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh (Post 572213)
If the makers of MI2 would have continued the series it could have been great.

As it is now, it led nowhere.

which is why I hold that against MI3 for a weak resolution (ie: total cop out) rather than against MI2 for the cliffhanger. it had a lot of potential, would've been interesting to see the original plan for the continuation