You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
In an evening of July...

Default Black Mirror 3

German magazine GameStar has just published a review of Black Mirror 3 on their website.

They gave it a 85/100, complimenting the horror-story, but noting some of its weaknesses like lack of depth and its predictability. It took the reviewer about twenty hours to finish the game, the puzzles are supposed to be fun, but not always related to the story at hand, and the locations hold few surprises for those who have played the predecessors.
The graphics are the biggest letdown in the breakdown of the final score. While the backdrops are as beautiful as ever, the reviewer practically repeated my opinion on the trailer when talking about the cutscenes: characters are "low-res, wooden render-dolls", the image is muddy.

Overall Black Mirror 3 seems to be a worthy successor, and I'm very much looking forward to it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Roman5

Supposed to be released this month isn't it?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5 View Post
Supposed to be released this month isn't it?
The German version is out already, while the US version is scheduled for next month, apparently.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

I'm currently in the first chapter.

I've already posted these links in the Black Mirror 2 thread, but I guess they belong here too

Launch-Trailer:
http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=15567

German demo:
http://demos.dtp-entertainment.ag/black_mirror_3

Gameplay preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqYRWNTiWE

Story trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOy3Z-qeATs
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

It was, what, a six-year wait between one and two, but less than a year between two and three? What a pleasantly brief wait

Can't wait to play it!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

Looks awesome, waiting to play it and learn more about the curse. I find that BM2 clear many things about Samuel etc. but the curse per se have some mysteries yet and supposedly its going to be reveal in the last installment. So definitely waiting to play it.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

The third one?!?!?!
I didn't even played the second one yet!
If it's more creepy than the first then I'll pass...

So, for those of you who played the second and third:
Is the second and third more or less creepy then the first one?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Its the same great Adventure
Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate me View Post
The third one?!?!?!
I didn't even played the second one yet!
If it's more creepy than the first then I'll pass...

So, for those of you who played the second and third:
Is the second and third more or less creepy then the first one?
I think the second was slightly less creepy than the first. I don't like horror games but I enjoyed BMII and will definitely get BMIII.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #10

I'm half through the game.
It is much better and much creepier than part 2.
It feels more like playing part 1 again.
After the somewhat disappointing part 2 it's a real fun and fright.
I hope it has a good (?) ending.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #11

I think I'll buy the second part first, then I'll check more screens and reviews for the third.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
I'm half through the game.
It is much better and much creepier than part 2.
It feels more like playing part 1 again.
After the somewhat disappointing part 2 it's a real fun and fright.
I hope it has a good (?) ending.
This is great news -- thanks, Seagul! I'll agree that the second wasn't as creepy as the first, but it remained enjoyable. Really looking forward to this now!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #13

I supposed it depends on what you find creepier in the first, it depends on the person. The second part is very good definitely a worthy succesor of the first and I suppose is you find creepy the thing about the curse, the killings etc. I find although is present in BM2 is not so direct like the first game. But definitely is very similar and maintain the atmosphere of the first game.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I liked the grim atmosphere of the first game but it also moved at a really slow pace and had some incredibly annoying puzzles.

The second one may not have felt as dark and foreboding but I think it topped the original in every other way. The graphics were jawdroppingly gorgeous, the puzzles were a lot less convoluted and felt more rewarding to solve and the story managed to stand on its own as an interesting mystery while still tying together with the first game.

If the third game can take the huge leaps they made with the second game while bringing back the darkness of the first, I think it could easily be the best of the series. At the very least, I hope they can do a decent ending this this because the finales for the first two are truly, truly awful.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
In an evening of July...

Finally got my copy (limited edition, whoo) and have been playing it for a few hours now.

So far I like it. The first chapter is set in Willow Creek in autumn, and it perfectly captures the atmosphere of a small English town surrounded by a dark forest, so it definitely feels closer in spirit to the first Black Mirror than to the second. Some backgrounds are simply drop dead gorgeous, I've probably seen more of those already than it the whole second game. Atmosphere is everything for me, and Black Mirror III has plenty of it.
There is not much to be said about the story since I've only begun playing, but it feels like a natural continuation of the second game. No surprises so far.
The German voice acting is above average as with the previous games, I'm definitely liking it a whole lot more than, say, Gray Matter.

Some criticism: the writing is average at best, but that's not different from the first two games. The character animations are simply horrid, they might be worse than in the predecessor; the cutscenes however are the most disgusting thing about Black Mirror III. It seems like the actual low polygon character models from the game have been animated by hand without any motion capturing and rendered without any post processing.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #16
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
I liked the grim atmosphere of the first game but it also moved at a really slow pace and had some incredibly annoying puzzles.

The second one may not have felt as dark and foreboding but I think it topped the original in every other way. The graphics were jawdroppingly gorgeous, the puzzles were a lot less convoluted and felt more rewarding to solve and the story managed to stand on its own as an interesting mystery while still tying together with the first game.

If the third game can take the huge leaps they made with the second game while bringing back the darkness of the first, I think it could easily be the best of the series. At the very least, I hope they can do a decent ending this this because the finales for the first two are truly, truly awful.
This is how I feel too. The first game had so many little flaws that the atmosphere didn't quite make it for me. I think I gave it 3½ stars. The second one had less pressing atmosphere but it was clearly an excellent game. (And honestly I am not sure if I even want the atmosphere to get much creepier, I have my limits when it comes to horror.) I don't think the awful endings deserved two "truly"s . They're quite bad but not horrible, especially since we have sequels. I do hope the third one gives us a "proper" ending though.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
In an evening of July...

Just finished it. Definitely the best game in the series.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #18
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Ok, sounds great! Now, I've downloaded the german demo, but the screen just turns black ;p Is there any way to change the settings, outside of the game, or at least make it windowed?

If it didn't just turn to... black mirror

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #19
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85 View Post
Ok, sounds great! Now, I've downloaded the german demo, but the screen just turns black ;p Is there any way to change the settings, outside of the game, or at least make it windowed?

If it didn't just turn to... black mirror
Have you tried looking at the config files? They should be somewhere in your home folder.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Thanks. The settings file was located in
C: \Users\(username)\Documents\BlackMirrorIII in case anyone else needs to change it.

Now I regret that I never learned german Looks great, though. Can't wait!

The refresh rate was 85 by default.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games