You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Default My Game List

Hi been viewing threads on here for a while but signed up today. I decided to purchase The Last Express after reading some good reviews of it from here.

Thought i'd post my game list, it's not complete but these are what I can remember off the top of my head

Quote:
A Vampyre Story
AlternativA
Back to the Future: The Game
Barrow Hill
Casebook Trilogy
Culpa Innata
Discworld Noir
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Escape from Monkey Island
Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
Grim Fandango
Jolly Rover
Machinarium
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition
Puzzle Agent
Sam & Max Season 1
Sam & Max Season 2
Sam & Max Season 3
Secret Files: Puritas Cordis
Secret Files: Tunguska
Syberia
Syberia II
Tales of Monkey Island
The Curse of Monkey Island
The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure
The Last Express
The Longest Journey
The Secret of Monkey Island
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
The X-Files Game
Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures
Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Codger

Not exactly sure what your list represents. If it is a list of the games you have played, it is a mighty fine list.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

Yeah, it's the games i've played forgot to mention that.

There any must plays that I should add to the list?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Calavera View Post
Being one who loves me some retro games (and looking at your list), I highly recommend you try out the rest of the LucasArts back catalogue.

There are many users here who are better than me at serving recommendations, though. In fact, this is probably my first such post.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #5

Sanitarium
Black Mirror
Fahrenheit
The Lost Crown
Broken Sword 1-2-3
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Calavera View Post
Older games;

I'll second harald's suggestion to try the rest of LucasArt's games. I think Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle are considered pretty much mandatory. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was one of my favorites, and Full Throttle, although fairly short, was awesome. Really though, it's LucasArts', even what's arguably their weakest game, The Dig, is still worth playing.

I don't see anything by Sierra on your list. They were the other major Adventure game company during the 80's and 90's. You could say their games were, for the most part, relentless with the gamer. I was and am a Sierra fanboi, I've played and enjoyed virtually everything they released, but I recognize their games aren't for everyone, especially by today's standards of "user-friendliness". I'd recommend you try at least the Gabriel Knight series (Sins of the Father, The Beast Within and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned). There's a fan group called AGD Interactive that's remade some of Sierra's game. You can download the games freely from their website. If you like them, try the rest of the Sierra games.

River already recommended Broken Sword, so I'm going to add Beneath A Steel Sky by the same developer. It's awesome and freeware.

The Tex Murphy games would be a good addition as well. You could probably give the earlier games, Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum, a miss, it's the later titles, Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive, that are really noteworthy. The last game (for now... ), Overseer, is a remake/retelling of Mean Streets. It's good too, but I suggest you go with Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive first.

While we're naming sci-fi games, Blade Runner is also excellent. Unlike the other games I've mentioned, which are available in several digital download sites, you need to track down a physical copy of Blade Runner. It's well worth it though.

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel and The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo. As far as I'm concerned these are still the best games based on Sherlock Holmes.

Newer games;

New games. I'm not playing many lately. Adventure or other. As such, I don't have many recommendations.

I second The Lost Crown.

Still Life. Another great game. The sequel apparently doesn't do it justice (haven't got around to it myself) but ties up loose ends, so it might be worth checking out for the complete experience.

The Runaway series. There seems to be as many people who like these games as there are people who loathe them. You have to see for yourself.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #7

I bought the bundle of Still Life, Still Life 2 and Post Mortem so I'll give them a play and see what they're like.

I enjoyed The Last Express, finished it yesterday after countless deaths - great story, loved the interaction and eavesdropping and the look of the game.

I've always wanted to give the Tex Murphy games a go, seems like my kind of games.

Thanks for the info, looks like I've plenty of games to catch up on
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #8

I wonder why Monkey Island (the only very retro game on your list) has survived so long. All things considered, it was surpassed by LucasArts 1993 titles Sam and Max Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle and it was not as innovative as Maniac Mansion. I guess I'm just not into pirates.

If you want to get into Sierra adventure games - begin with the ones where you can't get stuck: Leisure Suit Larry 6 + 7, Space Quest 6, King's Quest 7 and Torin's Passage.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #9

I personally like the game soccer match

Other than that I like the Prince of Persia series and GTA series
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Well, it depends which games were your favourites from that list, and how you prefer your puzzles, control scheme and dialogue.

I'm a huge fan of the Syberia series and TLJ (and Culpa Innata), so I would recommend Still life, Secret Files: Tunguska 1 and 2 and Lost Horizon. Oh, and Broken Sword 1 and 2 (hated the sneaking sequences in 3, and never completed it, but if you liked Dreamfall it should fine for you) are no-brainers.

Personally I can't recommend Black Mirror, and would suggest just going straight for Black Mirror 2, but that is again down to preference.
I dislike being killed (though I found it amusing to kill Samuel since he was such a dick), risking dead-ends, and unskippable slider puzzles! (Which Still Life has so I shouldn't talk too loud) I have a big rant about Black Mirror over in my Black Mirror's forced time progression thread if you for some reason would like to read my rather prejudiced and annoyed feelings about the game..

Edit: Doh! Didn't see that the thread had been resurrected and is two weeks old. Sorry

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 02-18-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Being an idiot
Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #11

Good list..