You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A Brief History of Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Default A Brief History of Adventure Games

I stumbled across these videos and they were new to me so I thought they could be new to some of you, too.

Part 1 begins at the 45 minute mark and starts with the origins of adventure games. Part 2 start at 34:40 mins and goes to modern day, and then switches to Japanese adventures.

The videos don't cover every single game released, but give a good overview of what was happening at the time, which is interesting for someone like me that didn't grow up playing adventure games. I found the section on Japanese adventures very interesting, too.

Enjoy! Videos by Chrontendo.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #2

probably because at that time most of the game development and arcades etc was done in Japan with companies like Sega,Square and Enix that later merged into (duh!!) Square Enix,Taito,Capcom,Namco,Nintendo and Konami.at the time they made a lot of games and many well known series had started.there were a lot of geniuses then.
One of those was Yu Suzuki....the first to introduce a feeling of 3d world.actually not so much 3d as the feeling of depth.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21 View Post
One of those was Yu Suzuki....the first to introduce a feeling of 3d world.actually not so much 3d as the feeling of depth.
I love me some Hang-On Played it to death on Master System when I was a kid.

Of course most of those companies you mentioned made their start in the arcade, but some made their name on the Famicom, which is where the Japanese adventure game began to blossom. And unlike here in the west, it's still a major genre, although there are definitely some differences between a typical "visual novel" and an "adventure game".