You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Codger

Default GK3 overrated

Think about it. Forget Jane Jensen and her following. GK3 was horrible 3D, although some would dispute that. The end-game was wildly argued. Many of the puzzles were off the wall.

Not saying that this is a bad game. Just saying that this game, nor GK1, GK2 or GM deserve the accolades. They all have some serious flaws.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

Graphics were just reflection of the trend. Just like FMV in GK2 was trend at a time. The other story is that FMV holds up better than 3D. Btw, GK2 is one the best adventures of all time.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

You're not saying that this is a bad game but your subject heading is "GK3 as one of the worst games ever"?

First you throw blanket statements about GK3 concerning its graphics, narrative, and puzzles without fleshing out your argument much at all, then you throw GK1, GK2, and GM in the mix without even attempting an argument. If this isn't a contrarian way to broach the subject of this series (and Jane Jensen) not deserving the accolades, I don't know what is.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #4

This thread is a joke.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #5

Back in the day, when I bought this game, I didn't even know who Jane Jensen was! And it was also the first part I played from the trilogy. To say that this is one of the worsts is an aberration.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin View Post
You're not saying that this is a bad game but your subject heading is "GK3 as one of the worst games ever"?
Name:  mrgreen.gif
Views: 429
Size:  436 Bytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
This thread is a joke.
I second this opinion.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #7

GK3 is one of the richest adventure games ever made. As good as GK1 or GK2. The story is perhaps the best among the three.

I don't find the 3D so terrible in the game like everyone says - it's not much different than 3D in other action games of the same time period (1999/2000). In fact I think this is one of the worst criticisms I've ever heard for a game. The cat hair puzzle is a bit odd, but otherwise most of the puzzles are incredibly engaging and fit within the story (L'Serpent Rouge is my favorite puzzle of all time).

As for the ending, it's bittersweet but that doesn't make it a bad ending. That's like saying Casablanca has a bad ending because Rick and Ilsa don't end up together. It's the journey they took to reach that point that matters, and an ending doesn't need to be happy to be good or fitting for the story and characters.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
This thread is a joke.
Third(ed?). That's why I won't even bother replying.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #9

The first one was the best but i also loved Gabriel Knight 3 and i did not have any problems with the graphics. The second game in the series is my least favourite as i was disapointed with the actor that played Gabriel. I just didnt imagine Gabriel after the first game to look, talk and behave like that. He seemed kinda stupid and shallow.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
Failed Birthday Elf

Congratulations on finding the ultimate adventure themed trolling post!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #11

Don't post while drunk
Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #12

People will say GK2 was the best, but to be honest, in my opinion GK1 was still the best. It had a good mix of sexual tension with good character drama, intriguing story, and some great dialgoue. I love GK2, but I guess its more like that GK1 was my introduction to the series, I felt like it was still the best....I'm drunk now, but thats how everyone rolls nowadays. lol

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #13
Life and times of...

I find it slightly amusing that these are the arguments for why GK3 is the worst game ever, a.k.a. not that bad but not worth all the praise (which means GK1 too, for some reason).

"The ending was disputable" (just silly), "many of the puzzles were off the wall" (as if that's not happening with 2/3 of adventure games).
Old 01-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Just a friendly reminder to keep away from personal attacks please. I know some subjects can bring out the passionate responses, but don't make it personal and we'll all be okay.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
Hopeful skeptic

In the interest of preserving sanity, I changed the thread title (since, as people pointed it out, it actually contradicted the opening post).

But hey, if we're going to talk about "worst" and "GK3" together in the same sentence, let's at least cite the wretched control scheme, which is pretty much the epitome of craptitude.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #16
Life and times of...

I found the interface (which includes the control scheme too, of course, which is just a simple hover-and-click - I never had any problems) to be perhaps the best so far in adventure games...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #17

I find myself defending GK3 a lot these days. What's the sudden surge of hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
wretched control scheme, which is pretty much the epitome of craptitude.
Hehe I guess that's the kind of thing you either hate or love.
I remember being impressed by the hybrid first-person/third-person controls.
I sometimes find myself considering the "AFGNCAAP" approach of first person games to be a bit alienating, and GK3's control scheme allowed to successfully combine the feeling of immersion of first person games with the deeper and more accurate representation of the main character typical of third person games.

Call me crazy, but I actually wish it would be implemented again.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #18

There was an old web article, which I never forgot, talking about that wonderful self-fulfilling prophecy in the early 00s that 'adventure games were dead' and it ripped into Gabriel Knight 3's puzzles quite a bit: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

It's three pages but it's hilarious.

Last edited by thejobloshow; 01-29-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
don't post while drunk
rofl
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I found the interface (which includes the control scheme too, of course, which is just a simple hover-and-click - I never had any problems) to be perhaps the best so far in adventure games...
I much preferred the GK3 control style over the usual WASD (or even worse, cursor keys) for 3D adventures and I'm frankly surprised I've never encountered similar controls in any other game. don't get me wrong, keyboard controls work well for RPGs and action games, but nothing beats a simple mouse for an adventure game

as for the ending, the only bad thing about it is that licensing problems robbed us of a sequel
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus