You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Last Express on GOG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default The Last Express on GOG

Title says it all...

Link
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

DotEmu had it first: two dollars cheaper ($3.99) and five languages instead of just English at GOG.

http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-ga...ectors-edition
Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Apparently it doesn't have the soundtrack the DotEmu release comes with either, however, GOG says they will release more extras soon.

$5.99 is a steal any which way.

EDIT: It seems that the versions available at DotEmu and GOG are also different (DotEmu has the Windows version and GOG the DOS version?).
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Schattenjäger

geez.. i recently went through the trouble of obtaining an original disc and getting it to work on a newer system, and a few weeks later all these places are selling it as a download
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior *female* member

I'd say $3.99 is even more of a steal. With all the extras GOG does not offer. It's high time GOG had some serious competition from other DRM-free sites, so they won't be able to pull arrogant stunts anymore.

EDIT: I'd prefer the Windows version anytime!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
geez.. i recently went through the trouble of obtaining an original disc and getting it to work on a newer system, and a few weeks later all these places are selling it as a download
I'll buy your discs for $5.99.

Something similar happened to me with the Tex Murphy games. Had to jump through hoops to get them, when I finally did, they were released as digital downloads and now no one wants the discs. Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I'd say $3.99 is even more of a steal. With all the extras GOG does not offer. It's high time GOG had some serious competition from other DRM-free sites, so they won't be able to pull arrogant stunts anymore.
I'm seeing a $5.99 price at DotEmu too. *shrug*

I'd rather keep my digital downloads in as fewer sites as possible, so between getting it on GOG or somewhere else, I'd get it on GOG since I already have an account there.

Last edited by Gonchi; 01-27-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post

EDIT: I'd prefer the Windows version anytime!
well i bought it from dotemu last week at 9.99 (yeah i got screwed). the game didnt run well on my computer for some reason, the menu locked up. then it came on gog and yes i bought it again cause i love gog. and looky here, the gog version runs perfect on my computer. so yeah, i think the love gog receives is totally justified.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #8

I was waiting for a GOG release (nothing against Dotemu, but i just use GOG and Steam) so... i bought it
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #9

I was waiting for a GOG release, too. GOG has brought me nothing but joy since its arrival

I finally get to put down money on this game and play it properly.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #10

For those interested in the DotEmu release, I want to let you know that I bought the game from them due to the languages supported and it runs fine.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #11

I'm happy this is turning up as a digital download at multiple sites. Will probably get it from GOG simply because I've bought a bunch of other games there and been happy with the service. Never played it, but I've always heard good things and been curious to try it out.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Adventure Gamer for Life

The ironic thing is that I finally got the game on disc and was coming here to look for help getting it to run on my system. But I'm willing to pay to download it if that means it'll run ok. But at least all these games are getting easier to get now.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #13

I've been playing adventures since I was 5 and I'm 28 now. I have resisted the urge to play the game till now. Despite it's universal praise it never interested me but I'm running out of choices so I'm going to give it a roll.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Schättenjager

Good ol' Last Express,i insist again not to throw Tyler's body of the window but nope game doesnt progress that way.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Good ol' Last Express,i insist again not to throw Tyler's body of the window but nope game doesnt progress that way.
but it can be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvUkrdcqAgA

watch from 2:45 onwards

Never knew that this is possible till I´ve seen the video.
I always assumed it´s logical to get rid of the body as soon as possible.
I wouldn´t like to share a train compartment with a corpse
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #16

Tyler's Dead???

:-p
Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
but it can be done:

Never knew that this is possible till I´ve seen the video.
I always assumed it´s logical to get rid of the body as soon as possible.
I wouldn´t like to share a train compartment with a corpse
I mean,i knew that he can hide him till bed time only coz Cath cant sleep while he's in the room.Best thing throw him at Epernay station that way can get fast burial
Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I mean,i knew that he can hide him till bed time only coz Cath cant sleep while he's in the room.Best thing throw him at Epernay station that way can get fast burial
ah I see

Personally I couldn´t wait to get him out of the window
I was like "so long buddy"
the remorseful look on Cath´s face after the scene is priceless.
Kinda reflected the way I felt.

What a great game !
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #19

One of the best adventure games. A great whodunnit too! Identity of the culprit is very cool. =D
Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #20

Although I have my physical copy (original release - 1997, really really precious and longed for Christmas present), I downloaded TLE Collector's Edition at DotEmu. Having all these language versions and being able to combine them is really fun, though a bit messy. I would really love to put my hands (or at least virtual hands) on Japanese language version, so I have all these together. I thought they never finished it, as well as Playstation conversion (pity), back in 1997. But as I read on some forum few days back, it was released fully in Japanese. All dialogues in Japan. But it is really rare, as the release was limited. Hmmm... Too bad. But it might pop back again :-)
Are here any adventure gamers from Russia? I have heard it is usual to do dubbing and let the original audio under it, which is a case of TLE /Russian version/, too. I love Russian language, know it a little, but I really do not like hearing the original dialogues under the Russian ones. It distracts me, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Anyway, I am really glad there are easy and legal ways to get The Last Express, now. I have hopes for Jordan Mechner's journals from 1993 to 1997 being released, I want to read about all things concerning creating of TLE. Hopefully after succes of digital release of his Prince of Persia journals, it can happen. I bought pdf of PoP journals and there are few pages mentioning the "train game", of course I cannot wait to read more...
http://jordanmechner.com/ebook/

Last edited by veruncheek; 12-28-2011 at 02:54 PM.