You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #15: The Longest Journey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
^did you put it in compatibility mode for xp? Thats what i did and its been running fine in win7 64.
Yes, everything works fine except for the FMVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
Well, the English DVD version works on my Windows 7 laptop (with hardware acceleration disabled).
Perhaps I can try disabling hardware acceleration. I already tried searching how I could do that (used it in previous Windows versions), but I can't find it in Windows 7. Anyone knows how to do this?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #22

Have you tried copying those .dll files from CD1 to game folder?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7h30n View Post
Have you tried copying those .dll files from CD1 to game folder?
Thank you, but I already tried this.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #24

i had a problem with the FMVs, going at 2 fps and basucally jamming up my computer (win7 64 bit) it sthe gog.com version as well.

but it was fixed by putting this line into the preferrences.ini

[Directx] (but this there if it isn't already)
bool_UseHardware=0

the ini file is not in the normal game directory, its in your Users/appdata/roaming/longest jounrey directory.

also note this appdata folder may be hidden, you can get round this by going to tools and in the view tab changing it so you can view hidden folders. or you can simply put %appdata% into your windows explorer window.

hope this helps
Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #25

The only thing I did was uncheck "Use 3D acceleration" at the start of the game. I'm guessing Idrisguitar's suggestion will yield the same result. Anyway, the videos always played fine for me, only the game-play segments (actual 3D rendering) would be choppy.

Hope you can get it working, alcoatjez.

Oh, and I hope you join domith88! The more the merrier, as I usually say.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #26

@Idrisguitar: Thank you. I already tried fiddling with the options and the .ini, but used the one in the game directory. Apparently the game doesn't use that one.
I have another option: I'm installing WinXP on an older PC I still have right now, so that should work I think

@harald: Thank you. I also hope I can get it to work, I can't wait to join the playthrough!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoatjez View Post
@Idrisguitar: Thank you. I already tried fiddling with the options and the .ini, but used the one in the game directory. Apparently the game doesn't use that one.
I have another option: I'm installing WinXP on an older PC I still have right now, so that should work I think

@harald: Thank you. I also hope I can get it to work, I can't wait to join the playthrough!
i tried using all the main options and config settings (including "use hardware" setting ) in the normal directory and none of it worked..

however as soon as i went into appdata and changed that ini with the above line it was perfect,
Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #28
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I've played through the first chapter, and I am quite interested as this is my first time playing. Is it just me, or does April walk really slow? I am double clicking her everywhere... I am enjoying playing, though I thought April was a bit rude to Cortez...
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #29
Schattenjäger

yeah, what i really dont like is how i double click once and she runs, but if i click again she stops running.
Finished with the first chapter as well. Definitely a well done introduction for the game. I always like city exploration elements. And the subway is a nice touch.

Last edited by zane; 01-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 AM   #30

Thank you all for your suggestions to get the game to work on Windows 7. Unfortunately I just can't get it to work. There is definately something wrong with the playback of the FMVs.

Glad I still had my old(er) PC upstairs and I just finsihed installing Windows XP on it and the game (GOG version) works like a charm. Finally I can start playing
Old 01-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #31
The Quiet One

I'll probably make a start sometime today.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #32

I'm still on the first chapter.

I looove all the references to various things (Monkey, err Ape Constable Guybrush; "look at the size of that thing"; etc.)

Setting is kinda cyberpunkish and I'm into it (and I'm currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson).

Edit: Now it sprung to my mind. @ alcoatjez, have you tried running the game with "Run as Administrator" settings? I always need to do that in older games because sometimes it won't let you save, change options etc.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #33

Just finished chapter 1. Took me about 2 hours to play through the prologue and first chapter.

alcoatjez, hopefully you can get it going and join us.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #34
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBull View Post
Just finished chapter 1. Took me about 2 hours to play through the prologue and first chapter.
How on earth do you manage to do that in only 2 hours?? Seriously. This is my second playthrough and it took me much longer. Impossible to skip dialogues once you started them and it takes ages to run across bridges, through parks, etcetera.

Much to my surprise, I found it touching to be back in Venice again, long before the events of Dreamfall (which I played twice last year) and meeting a young April, Charlie, and Emma again. Lots of stuff, details I'd forgotten all about, like the "mystery door". For me, it's still a game with a great story, and a couple of terrible puzzles.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #35
Schattenjäger

i turned on subtitles and press escape to skip dialogue. The timing is a little weird, like you can still hear part of the voice from the last line you skipped, but it does make things go much faster.

edit: oh and iv been surprized how much iv forgotten too. Really most of the events of the first chapter i had little recollection of.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
How on earth do you manage to do that in only 2 hours??
That's what Steam says my playtime is so far. I think it's pretty accurate. I wasn't skipping any dialog or anything and I'm sure I heard most of it.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
She Wants Revenge

Too bad I played this game quite recently, don't really feel like starting it again just yet. But might be nice to follow what people comment here. I think I will replay TLJ and Dreamfall when the Dreamfall Chapters finally come (hopefully they still will).

About the slow walking. I played like half of the game without knowing about the doubleclick run. And after that rest of the game without knowing you could press esc (or was it some other button) to exit the screen instantly.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Impossible to skip dialogues once you started them and it takes ages to run across bridges, through parks, etcetera.
You should be able to skip dialogue lines by right-clicking in the subtitle area.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #39

Just finished the first chapter. Unfortunately I read the reviews so I know what is going on which diminshes the presentation of unnatural things happening in the game.

So far I'm amazed by the game (except those horrible 3d models), especially by FMVs!

Anyways, as Sherlock Holmes says: "The game is afoot!"
Old 01-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #40

I just finshed the first chapter and I can't wait till it's Tuesday!
I already played the game years ago, but never finished the first chapter.

My impressions so far:
- Apart from the 3D models, everything looks really nice. I like it that everything is extremely well done: the story, characters, the elaborate manual, the diary, conversation log. The game was even updated years after the release.
- The conversations are a bit long, but I didn't really mind. I'm the kind of player that plays very slow, looking at everything and following every conversation. I have a pretty busy job, so I like to play adventures mostly to relax. Just a cup of coffee (or a beer) and the game is all I need!