Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Adventure games for PS3? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28423-adventure-games-ps3.html)

Maria-Fritsche 01-14-2011 01:30 PM

Adventure games for PS3?

Hi guys,

Ok, so I just got me a PS3 and I was wondering if any of you could come up with some adventure game titles for this console? No need to mention Heavy Rain, I got that one on my list already. :)
Sadly for me it looks like most adventure games for consoles are made for Xbox only. So please, help me out here. :)

partially 01-14-2011 01:44 PM

Hmm well if you are interested in games that have a fair emphasis on story there are a couple like Valkyria Chronicles and Uncharted which are quite good. Though these are RPG and Action games. If you are looking for the non-action/puzzling aspects of adventures then unfortunately Heavy Rain is about it.

Many of the usual suspects make their appearance on the digital store though, like Telltale's offerings and a few others. However you likely have these on PC or something if you wanted them.

Venkman 01-14-2011 02:33 PM

If you haven't played Sam & Max Season 3, it's probably worthwhile signing up for Playstation Plus (for 3 months if not the full year) as you can get it for free right now.

Figment 01-14-2011 09:17 PM

The Mass Effect series isn't adventure at all but it has an amazing storyline & I think number 2 is coming to the ps3 this quarter. If you fail at shooters, as I do, I still recommend picking it up and playing it on supereasy just for the story, which impressed me more than any adventure game in recent memory. The detail and immersion of the world, combined with the depth of the characters, gave me flashbacks to what I loved most about adventure games Back In The Day.

Other than Telltale and Heavy Rain, I can't really think of any straight adventure games for that console. Maybe Portal? (Though that isn't console-specific to the ps3, so you may have already played it.)

Beacon 01-15-2011 05:48 AM

There is a game called Stacking that is coming out in a few months on the Playstation Network than you can download to your PS3. Just read a preview in Gameinformer magazine and it looks interesting. You play as a Russian Nesting Doll and to solve puzzles you have to join with other Nesting Dolls to gain their abilities. The art style is great too, like a miniature toy world.

LA Noire is also coming later this year.

fov 01-15-2011 10:32 AM

I've been toying with the idea of getting a PS3 to play Heavy Rain, but the lack of adventure games for PS3 makes me hesitant. So I'm glad to see this being discussed, maybe it'll help me decide.

Dwagginz 01-15-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figment (Post 569384)
The Mass Effect series isn't adventure at all but it has an amazing storyline & I think number 2 is coming to the ps3 this quarter.

Next week, I think. #2 is the only title to come to the PS3 (#3 will be, #1 won't), and it does have an extended opening to counter the lack of ME1, but I think it's a series that has to be experienced from the very first footsteps to the very last - The PS3 just won't get that experience.

Isn't there, on the more casual side, that Blue Toad Murder Files game?

River 01-15-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov (Post 569433)
I've been toying with the idea of getting a PS3 to play Heavy Rain, but the lack of adventure games for PS3 makes me hesitant. So I'm glad to see this being discussed, maybe it'll help me decide.

I just bought my PS3 for Heavy Rain and Uncharted and I don't regret it at all. Don't miss the opportunity of experience these titles. There are also interesting games like Little Big Planet. Go and buy your console!! :P

fov 01-15-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

I just bought my PS3 for Heavy Rain and Uncharted and I don't regret it at all.
That's good to hear!

I think it would be an easier decision if the console was backwards compatible. There are a couple of Final Fantasy games I've always wanted to play but couldn't since they were PlayStation exclusives. But as I understand it, they won't work on the PS3...

CrimsonBlue 01-15-2011 04:23 PM

Well, depends on wether you mean the PS2 Final Fantasy titles (not really worth the hassle) or the PS1 titles (VERY much worth it, at least FFVII and IX, imo). The PS3 can run PS1 games, but it can't run PS2 games. And if you want to play FFVII-IX, plus a couple of other fantastic RPGs, like Grandia and Vagrant Story, they are all available as digital download relatively cheap on the Playstation Store.

Beacon 01-15-2011 04:39 PM

I downloaded Final Fantasy VII on my PS3. Great fun!

Also, there are two Monkey Island games available for downloading.

MACGRUBER7693 01-15-2011 05:30 PM

dragon age. Can't recommend that enough. You can get the ultimate edition that has all the dlc, and the expansion along with the original game. It's a tactical, real time rpg similar to the old baldurs gate games. The real draw though is the character interaction and the choices you can make. It has the most expansive dialogue trees of any game I've ever played.

Phenomsandwich 01-15-2011 06:19 PM

If you are getting an older playstation 3 ico is easy to recommend. But if your getting a newer model(without ps2 BC) theres a PS3 re-release coming out in a few months.

fov 01-15-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue (Post 569450)
Well, depends on wether you mean the PS2 Final Fantasy titles (not really worth the hassle) or the PS1 titles (VERY much worth it, at least FFVII and IX, imo). The PS3 can run PS1 games, but it can't run PS2 games.

Ah ok, I thought it wasn't backwards compatible at all, so that's good to know. I have ff7 and ff8 on PC so I was specifically thinking of 9 and 10 (which might have been a ps2 game?) But as ff8 is one of my all time favorite games, I could see myself playing it again on the big tv while lounging on the couch...

Quote:

And if you want to play FFVII-IX, plus a couple of other fantastic RPGs, like Grandia and Vagrant Story, they are all available as digital download relatively cheap on the Playstation Store.
Didn't know that, thanks!

Hol 01-16-2011 11:02 AM

FF9 is PS1 and FF10 is PS2 - definitely get hold of them, those are two of my favourite rpg games. In fact I recently downloaded FF9 and started re-playing it for the first time in years and I still love it just as much!

There was a good adventure-type game on the PS2 a long while back... shadow of memories (UK) or shadow of destiny (US) I think. Though I don't know how easy that'll be to get hold of or wether it'd work on current PS3s.

CrimsonBlue 01-16-2011 02:24 PM

There's no compatibility at all for PS2 games on current PS3s. To play PS2 games you have to buy a PS2. I'd say it's worth having one anyway, because of the vast ocean of fantastic games. Shadow of Memories/Destiny was a pretty early PS2 game, but it's one of my favourites and one of the few games I've kept from its early days.

Obscurista 01-16-2011 09:14 PM

Overlord 2 and Overlord: Raising Hell are availble for the PS3. They're (very slightly puzzle-y) action games through and through, but this adventure gamer (who's generally very bad at/hates action games) found the original Overlord game (PC version) so ridiculously fun, it isn't even funny. :D (Actually, it was/is a very funny game; additionally, its style of humor was/is very, very 'campy AG,' IMO.)

Figment 01-17-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwagginz (Post 569437)
Next week, I think. #2 is the only title to come to the PS3 (#3 will be, #1 won't), and it does have an extended opening to counter the lack of ME1, but I think it's a series that has to be experienced from the very first footsteps to the very last - The PS3 just won't get that experience.

I didn't realize that (I played them both on the xbox). That's a shame! I agree that the story is best experienced in its whole--in fact, I really can't wrap my mind around how the 2nd could stand on its own, even with an extended opening; so much of the emotional impact of the 2nd game's recurring characters depend wholly on the 1st. :crazy: Part of what makes the series so great is its epic feel! Poor marketing decision there, I'd say.

I do agree with the Dragon Age recommendation. It wasn't as astounding to me as ME but it was great fun, with a really detailed world and lots of opportunity for replay.

Our ps3 was the least-used console in the house, ranking last after PCs, xbox and DSes. It was so neglected that my boyfriend gave it back to his brother--there just weren't enough games available for the ps3 to justify us having it. I only ever used it once, for Heavy Rain, and while that's a good game I probably wouldn't have bought a machine to play it.

Periglo 01-18-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue (Post 569495)
There's no compatibility at all for PS2 games on current PS3s. To play PS2 games you have to buy a PS2.

I'm playing some PS2 games on my PC right now with pcsx2. Ico, Shadow of the Colossus...

carlotta von uberwald 01-18-2011 03:44 AM

The first two Monkey Island games are available from the Playstation Store and so is Faery which has wonderful graphics and story, if you don't mind reading the dialogue to the entire game.