You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Infocom coming to gog.com?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Default Infocom coming to gog.com?

Looks like it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

It does look possible doesn't it??? When I first saw the police tape I was thinking "Police Quest" but the background doesn't match up with that idea, especially not the top right corner...Hmmm...

When do we find out again???
Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledster View Post
When I first saw the police tape I was thinking "Police Quest"
Wouldn't that be Sierra? Space and King's Quest are up on Gog as it is, and the collection was - Along with King's, Space, and Leisure Suit - released by Sierra (I think) a few years back.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
Wouldn't that be Sierra?
That's why he went on to say "but the background doesn't match up with that idea, especially not the top right corner."

I like how they redid the top nav bar in text. Clever.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
That's why he went on to say "but the background doesn't match up with that idea, especially not the top right corner."
Huh? I got the idea that he was referring to something to do with the game (Maybe the game doesn't have weird monsters or something - I don't know).

My point was that I thought Police Quest would be put up by Sierra/Activision (According to Space Quest), and not have anything to do with Infocom.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Yup, Infocom is coming to GOG.com! And that creature on the corner is from Beyond Zork alright:

http://gallery.guetech.org/beyond/quendor3.jpg
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
My point was that I thought Police Quest would be put up by Sierra/Activision (According to Space Quest), and not have anything to do with Infocom.
Right, but Gledster's point was that after initially seeing the police tape and thinking Police Quest, he saw the text in the background and the creature up in the top right corner and realized it couldn't be Police Quest.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
Yup, Infocom is coming to GOG.com! And that creature on the corner is from Beyond Zork alright:

http://gallery.guetech.org/beyond/quendor3.jpg
The face on the left is too, apparently.

http://gallery.guetech.org/beyond/quendor9.jpg

I wonder if it's only the Zork games GOG plans on adding. Infocom had a lot of crime mystery games, maybe the police line relates to them? Or maybe it's just a more inventive way of saying "coming soon".
Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
I wonder if it's only the Zork games GOG plans on adding.
A couple of gog-forum users apparently figured it out and unscrambled the text as well, a few examples were posted:
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/733...dijtphxdnz.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5...ogbdj1y8sk.jpg
So it's Infocom and Police Quest as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Thanks for that.

I think the death message is from Police Quest 2. I thought GOG already had the Police Quest games for some reason... now I'm wondering if they plan on releasing the Police Quest's AGs or only the AGs with Sonny Bonds, or all the AGs and SWAT games... hmm.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Right, but Gledster's point was that after initially seeing the police tape and thinking Police Quest, he saw the text in the background and the creature up in the top right corner and realized it couldn't be Police Quest.
I am able to read. Please don't patronise me.

His first sentence, about the possibility of it being Infocom, is what lead to my query of whether Police Quest would be a Sierra release or not.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Adventure Game Elitist

I believe Activision owns both Sierra and Infocom.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
A couple of gog-forum users apparently figured it out and unscrambled the text as well, a few examples were posted:
At first I was excited about PQ but then I remembered I still own the PQ Collection. Leisure Suit Larry 7 is one of the final main games from a Sierra series that I have yet to own/play.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #14

That would be awesome if they offered all of the Infocom games for cheap.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

The real question is how they're intending to distribute them. Will they ship an interpreter of choice, or emulate the games in plain DOS? That alone makes the upcoming announcement quite interesting to me!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #16

Hey, maybe I can finally finish Spellbreaker after all these years!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
The real question is how they're intending to distribute them. Will they ship an interpreter of choice, or emulate the games in plain DOS? That alone makes the upcoming announcement quite interesting to me!
Why is that interesting? To the best of my knowledge, their graphical DOS games are automatically started in DOSbox, and I suppose they will provide Winfrotz or Windows Frotz if they are indeed releasing the Infocom games.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Oops, sorry to cause dispute and disagreement in this thread. However, going by what MoP wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
It's looking likely it's Infocom adventures and Police Quest. Which is great as I have VERY fond memories of playing Police Quest 4. The main character, looking like he was out of a film, and the photo-realistic backgrounds, really took my breath away back in the day!!

I'm looking forward to this!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #19
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Why is that interesting? To the best of my knowledge, their graphical DOS games are automatically started in DOSbox, and I suppose they will provide Winfrotz or Windows Frotz if they are indeed releasing the Infocom games.
I mean, it will be interesting to see their approach... Text games do look ugly on plain DOS: no antialiasing, big blocky fonts, etc. On the other hand, GOG.com has always sticked to DOSBox or ScummVM to emulate really old games. So that's what's interesting to me... will they stick to DOSBox or ship a specific interpreter? If so, which one?

A new one perhaps? Doubt it, but you never know... As I see it, WinFrotz isn't good for "packaging" games, which is a must for them.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

If I was GOG I'd try to embrace some indie IF-devs tool for playing games to release the classic titles. Great marketing for both sides.