Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   A Harry Potter adventure game? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28420-harry-potter-adventure-game.html)

Stuart 01-13-2011 04:22 PM

A Harry Potter adventure game?

Does anyone else think Harry Potter is tailor made for the adventure genre? I know we'll probably never get one as the franchise is worth so much that all of its games are cookie-cutter movie tie-ins that suck, but...

Imagine exploring Hogwarts as Harry, Ron, and Hermione, or even another character.

Imagine a magic system in traditional point and click style, it'd work perfectly and the actual setup of spells could involve classic inventory combination, etc.

Finding food for a starving hippogriff, finding a way past a giant spider, trying to create a distraction for a professor to access a storage cabinet, etc. etc.

Hogwarts has tons of hidden secrets and puzzles, lots of potential for cool mini-games (Quidditch?), and like most adventures it wouldn't have to be based around killing stuff.

Just an unrealistic dream I guess but it'd be much better than the tripe that has been released under the Harry Potter name.

skeeter_93 01-14-2011 03:19 AM

I totally agree.... but also think it will probably never happen.

AndreaDraco83 01-14-2011 03:48 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. I dream that one day an HP adventure will be made! It would be awesome :)

Intense Degree 01-14-2011 04:41 AM

Anyone interested in a lighthearted and "interesting" take on this should check out Warthogs, a free game by Crystal Shard, the people who did "A Tale of Two Kingdoms".

Wren 01-14-2011 05:07 AM

I would love to see it happen...but only if it was done well...and it probably wouldnt be :\

cbman 01-14-2011 08:27 AM

I think that the Harry Potter series is so generic and uses so many fantasy conventions that you could just as easilly create a brand new game with all of the same tropes. Obviously, it wouldn't have the same commercial draw but from an artistic or gameplay viewpoint there's nothing there that you couldn't do with say, Simon the Sorcerer. .

jhetfield21 01-14-2011 10:42 AM

i also agree with the notion but i fail to imagine a plot that will intrigue me to the story.the idea is fine and all but without a good story it's not that good.then again i'm no writer but if the game is based on the books it won't be that much intriguing.what i'm trying to say is that the plot has to be unknown to us and not so much related to the books to be intriguing or it'll be just another version of hearing the same story.

Dwagginz 01-14-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbman (Post 569324)
I think that the Harry Potter series is so generic and uses so many fantasy conventions that you could just as easilly create a brand new game with all of the same tropes. Obviously, it wouldn't have the same commercial draw but from an artistic or gameplay viewpoint there's nothing there that you couldn't do with say, Simon the Sorcerer. .

I have to disagree, at least to some degree. Whether Harry Potter is generic or not is completely irrelevant. People don't flock to Harry Potter because it's about a whiny brat, they flock to it because it's popular and because they 'like it' (Snrk).

If it was done in a manner reminiscent of Keepsake, with beautiful pre-rendering, then I think it could easily work. Yes, the puzzles would have to be simpler, the interaction perhaps more visual and so forth, but a Harry Potter adventure game could work brilliantly.

Wren 01-14-2011 05:34 PM

"People don't flock to Harry Potter because it's about a whiny brat, they flock to it because it's popular and because they 'like it' (Snrk)."

I've never flocked to Harry Potter because it's popular...I've been reading it from the begining.

And yes, prehaps its not all that original...but being a fantasy writer myself I recognise JK Rowling as being able to maintain a good plot with tight writing and a strong emotional pull.

I don't think they should ever attempt to make it. The thing thats made Harry Potter a laughing stock is the excessive merchandising and the appalling movies.

Nafsika 01-15-2011 09:14 AM

Harry Potter as an adventure game? Nope because it just doesn't fit to it. You have to cast spells and stuff and that's the awesome thing about it. It's not cool to just point and click around hogwartz etc it would be boring. Besides, you can explore Hogwartz at the other games who are not adventure so what's the point?

millenia 01-15-2011 09:50 AM

I think the Harry Potter world would be excellent setting for old school adventure or a RPG adventure. We could easily see both. Too bad most of licence games are usually just quickly whipped second grade action "adventures".

doc.vectro 01-19-2011 06:44 AM

The idea is interesting. But with something as big as Harry Potter, I can only expect an abomination, or at the very least... disappointing.