Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Ghost Trick on DS is awesome...... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28415-ghost-trick-ds-awesome.html)

HitBattousai 01-13-2011 07:25 AM

Ghost Trick on DS is awesome......

It's not exactly a traditional adventure/puzzle game, but I think a lot of people here would enjoy Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for the DS, which came out on Tuesday in the US. It's by some of the people who did the Phoenix Wright series, and it does have a lot of visual novel elements, but it's a much more interactive game with a blend of problem/puzzle solving that is very unique with an engrossing storyline and characters to back it.

Idrisguitar 01-13-2011 08:05 AM

got it for my mother the other day (love suprising her with new games and books :))

will have a try when i go back home in a few weeks.

zane 01-13-2011 09:35 AM

just got it today and iv played it a while. I think i really like it..... A couple times iv gotten close to tossing it aside because i dont really like the timing aspect of the game. Sometimes its completely apparent what i need to do, and im trying to do it, but im not doing it in exactly the right second so it keeps not working, making me wonder if im even trying the right thing.
But its a unique game to be certain, and im liking the buildup.

Mikekelly 01-13-2011 05:52 PM

Ghost Trick

Yea - I got the game - very different. I do like it -- very well done. Gameplay is origonal
and the graphics are eye popping.

Gamespot DID give Ghost Trick - an adventure game on the Nintendo DS a 9.0:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure...ck/review.html

Now - I've played games that get mixed reviews and enjoyed them - but I can't find a negative review of Ghost Trick - so this is a must buy for any Nintendo Dsi XL.

;D

With entry of the DS into the adventure game market - now most of the sales of adventure games and most of the highly rated ones are being released on this platform. The DS also receives very positive posts - more so than any other platform too.

Do I think the PC will go away completely? No. But then neither did the Mac either.

The 3DS already has adventure games being released for it - when you add 3D with touch screen interactivity - we may have a winner here.

Those that have played 3DS adventure games say there is nothing quite like the experience.....

;)

SamandMax 01-13-2011 08:28 PM

For anyone who wants to try it out, here's a cool Flash demo they made:

http://www.gamespot.com/misc/present...ick/index.html

Figment 01-14-2011 08:55 PM

I've just played a tiny bit--just about 20 minutes as I've had jury duty this week and haven't had the mental energy even for games--but I can tell already that I'm going to love it. Which isn't a surprise--I'm evangelical for the Phoenix Wright series, after all. I'm thrilled with its innovation and graphics and convinced that it will deliver the same charm & emotional involvement that so seduced me in Phoenix Wright. I need to play a bit more to say for sure, but my gut sense is that this is a must-have for any adventure fan with a DS.

Kurufinwe 01-15-2011 04:52 PM

I've played some of it (I've just finished chapter 7) and I agree with everyone that it's really good, if a bit on the easy side. Shu Takumi is really one of the greatest adventure game designers.

Adventure gamers who still don't have a DS are really missing out on some fantastic games.

zane 01-15-2011 09:46 PM

im up to chapter 15 now and iv enjoyed it quite a bit. Totally zany and not terribly believable, but just like the phoenix wright games, alot of epic fun.
Unfortunately some of the puzzles are pretttty annoying with repetition and timing. But i havnt gotten fed up with it yet.. (though iv come close a couple times).

EDIT: ok i just finished. I thought the game was pretty fantastic. Instant classic in my book and definitely one of my favorite ds adventures.

fov 01-17-2011 05:33 PM

This hadn't really been on my radar but you guys convinced me. Buying it now. :D

thejobloshow 01-25-2011 07:19 PM

Bump. I'm playing through this now - I'm near the end. The real time puzzle solving is executed really well. I read a few reviews criticizing the trail and error method of the game but I felt that style worked here. There's a real sense of accomplishment once you work out the motion you're meant to go into.

zane 01-25-2011 07:24 PM

yep it is a really neat little gem. I got frustrated with the gameplay a couple of times, but the game makes up for it with entertaining applications of the puzzles, especially in the later portions of the game. Have fun with the ending, i enjoyed it quite a bit :)

Mikekelly 01-25-2011 08:08 PM

Gt

I played this game after all the glowing reviews I read. It deserved the praise.

Now - I play plenty of adventure games that were slagged. I'm used to it. Most are not that bad - many are still fun.

There are three groups I put games in:

1) Can't find any reviews that speak badly about the game. (999 and Ghost Trick).

2) The reviews are mixed - some reviewers like the game, some don't (Crime Lab is a good example).

3) Most reviews of the game are negative. I have to search to find a positive one (Lux Pain - the game I am currently playing is in This bucket).

I'm so glad Ghost Trick is in bucket number 1.

:D

Figment 01-29-2011 11:45 PM

I loved this game! It didn't end up having the same level of character development and interaction as the Phoenix Wright games--I love the dynamics between just about everyone in PW and, save for a few exceptions (Missel & Sissel!), I didn't get the same feeling here.

That said, it was great fun. I particularly liked how the puzzles and gameplay were so uniquely suited to the DS. It's rare to find a game on any platform that is so thoughtful in its integration of mechanics & gameplay. I do wish it were a little harder--there were only a few puzzles that gave me pause--particularly since I think that the premise leaves a lot of room for trickier puzzles. Of course, that isn't a real complaint; puzzles are clearly not these developer's focus and it's unfair to complain about it.

Really, I think everyone who has a DS should play it. It's a real charmer--I wish there were games of this caliber for the system.

stepurhan 01-30-2011 07:06 AM

For those that are interested, the AG review (by myself), is up.

fov 01-30-2011 10:04 AM

I've played a bit now... Not sure what chapter I'm on, I'm currently trying to prevent the death involving the
Spoiler:
giant chicken leg at the restaurant.
Enjoying it for the most part but I'm not getting the "best game ever!!!!!" vibe from it that I expected from all the good reviews. Still, I'm enjoying it, and the ganeplay is pretty imaginative. It's nice to see the Phoenix Wright type characters in a completely different scenario. And I really like the art style of the supporting chars... For some reason those square jawed cops who all look sort of the same but not quite are amusing to me...

skeeter_93 02-01-2011 09:28 PM

I'm really enjoying playing it... I stayed up too late last night trying to save someone. I'm near the beginning still, so plenty to go...

Mikekelly 02-06-2011 01:07 PM

Me Too!

Actually, based on the game's pics I wasn't even going to get it.

But the reviews sold me too. And initially, I didn't get the "best game ever" feeling either.

However, as I got deeper into the game, the superb animation and compelling story sold me. It is indeed one of the best adventure games ever.

:D

thejobloshow 02-07-2011 05:50 AM

Your 'best adventure game' comment made me want to bring this up...

With the Ace Attorney series, Ghost Trick and Zack & Wiki - Capcom, it seems to me, is basically single handedly keeping traditional adventure alive by introducing the genre to mainstream console audiences in the West and, more importantly, YOUNG gamers who already love Capcom and Nintendo. (As much as I enjoyed Heavy Rain... it was more like Shenmue than Syberia.)

And after all this stellar work there still isn't another huge publisher who wants to take a risk even on the DS. It's still pretty much micro development house territory... I wonder if Capcom's foray into the genre is merely an anomaly driven by Shu Takumi or, and I hope, something bigger maybe on the horizon... It's just frustrating I guess.

In the meanwhile I'll be sitting quietly in Australia hoping 9 Hours, 9 Persons and 9 Doors will be distributed here one day.

fov 02-07-2011 10:57 PM

Heh, I remember thinking the same thing about Capcom when Phoenix Wright first came out in 2005 or so. At least they're still at it. :D

(I wouldn't say they're single-handedly keeping the genre alive, but they have managed to make adventure games cool to a not-typical adventure game audience, in a way that most other publishers seem unable to. What struck when Phoenix Wright first came out was how many non adventure gamers were playing it and saying, "Wow, this is great, there's never been another game like this, etc." I mean, on more than one occasion, I had Gamestop clerks telling me about this great new kind of game I just had to try out. That had never happened to me before...)

zane 02-08-2011 07:06 PM

Absolutely, certain things unpredictably click with the mainstream and phoenix wright is one of them. I think part of it was the "court game" label was something so different that it attracted alot of people (people who wouldv avoided an "adventure game"). In fact i didnt bother with the series for a while ~because~ i didnt know it was an adventure game. All i ever heard was "wow court game", and i had formed a picture in my head of some kindv weird arcade style court action. I was pleasantly thrilled when i found out that not only was it an adventure game, but one of my favorite styles of adventure games. It reminded me of playing snatcher or deja vu, games there are far too few of.