You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ghost Trick on DS is awesome......

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
man of low moral fiber

I loved it! One of the best adventure games I've played lately! Really engaging, although sometimes the story and the characters are very weird. And a very interesting and fresh game mechanic!

Now to play the ace attorney games

What should I start with?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
Schattenjäger

definitely start with the first game, which is titled just "phoenix wright: ace attourney"
Old 03-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #23
man of low moral fiber

THanks! Will definetely do!

Right now I'm busy playing "STACKING" on the PS3 which is also a very fun game

As for Ghost trick I forgot to mention that Inspector Cabanella's animations are the most amazing and funny animations I've seen in anything animated! (ok maybe I exaggerate - but still fantastic)
Old 09-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #24

Just finished the game and I agree with everyone's comments. It was a great game with a great story.

Does anyone know if they are planning a sequel? I know Shu Takumi's next game is Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney or whatever, but I'm hoping he'll tackle a Ghost Trick sequel next.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #25

Sales will dictate another game being made. I have heard that Ghost Trick has indeed sold quite well, so I'm sure that this should happen.

The same people who did the Ace Attorney series did Ghost Trick - I'm playing Ace Attorney 3 right now and really like it.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #26

This is simply huge. Now if Ghost Trick had only been nominated - I would have been very pleased.

THE HANDHELD GAME OF THE YEAR is an adventure game. A darn good one too. This an amazing achievement:

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2011...ex.html?page=5

Old 12-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #27

Not to mention it was also nominated for game of the year and best story on gamespot. That will probably move some units.
I usually don't play handheld games, 'cause I'd rather play something on my consoles or pc which have better presentation and production values. However, these kinds of missed gems is why I haven't gotten rid of my ds. Every year I look at game of the year nominees to spot something I might have missed and this game I can't ignore anymore. Definitely gonna buy it next month.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #28

Quote:
'cause I'd rather play something on my consoles or pc which have better presentation and production values.
*facepalm*
Old 12-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #29

'cause I'd rather play something on my consoles or pc which have better presentation and production values.'

The 3DS, being a much newer system has much improved presentation and production values, some games simply look amazing on this system.

Ghost Trick, while one of the all time great adventure games was praised for how fluid the animations were - while the graphics were cartoony, the way the characters moved was amazing to some people who played the game. Game sales were actually quite good for the title.

If you are going to play an adventure game on the system, this is the one. I did play this game on a DSi XL - and that did help.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 12-26-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #30

Quote:
'cause I'd rather play something on my consoles or pc which have better presentation and production values.'
Okay, I'll give a more elaborate response. First of presentation shouldn't be determined by graphical limitations. Within what you can work with you can still come up with a great presentation. Also the same goes for this so called 'production value'. A 2D DS game can still easily have better production value than a 3D next gen game.

Secondly, an attitude like that will have you miss out some of the greatest games.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #31
Filmfreak

Old 12-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
Okay, I'll give a more elaborate response. First of presentation shouldn't be determined by graphical limitations. Within what you can work with you can still come up with a great presentation. Also the same goes for this so called 'production value'. A 2D DS game can still easily have better production value than a 3D next gen game.

Secondly, an attitude like that will have you miss out some of the greatest games.
Also I want to point out that Ghost Trick's visuals aren't limited in any way. Its like comparing modern Realism in paintings to the many artists that utilized pointillism. They are different and beautiful in their own way.

Sure Ghost Trick would look amazing with anti-aliasing and HD visuals, but the loss of touch features would greatly affect the game and lose its beauty.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 12-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #33

I don't mind playing games on my DS whenever I do. I don't have THAT much time to play games and when I do sit down to play something, I can choose between a HD monitor/TV or my small screen DS. Needless to say I always choose the bigger screen and games that are visually more engaging and sound great. I really tried to get more into handheld gaming and because of that my pc, console gaming backlog started to grow. One day I just realised that I have to make the most of my gaming time and to not fall behind with absolute must-play games. If for example I have to choose between "Gemini Rue" or "999" of course I'll spend my time rather playing "Gemini Rue". I wouldn't have a bad time playing "999", but that means I'd miss "Gemini Rue" or some other game that I would have played instead.

There's just too many games I want to get to and I'll devote myself first to the ones that potentially engage me more with their presentation. When a time comes when there's not a single game that I'm interested in on any of the consoles or pc I'll give DS a chance . That probably won't happen though.

As I said earlier, whenever a DS game starts being nominated for game of the year or best story I'll play it and complete it.

Anyway that's where I'm coming from at the moment
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #34

Again, I'm using a Dsi XL and with its extra large screens games on it are pure eye candy. I've played a great many games on my Dsi XL that had me saying "WoW - what great graphics."

With a Dsi XL - if its "Gemini Rue" or "999" of course I'll spend my time playing "999".

However, I traded in my Xbox360 for a 3DS - this machine has some horsepower and has some high resolution graphics that are simply amazing for a handheld.

Finally, great adventure games are about story, plot, characters - I did a replay of Gabriel Knight 1 last year and that game is still one of the best adventure games ever released and it is at least 19 years old.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #35
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiil View Post
If for example I have to choose between "Gemini Rue" or "999" of course I'll spend my time rather playing "Gemini Rue". I wouldn't have a bad time playing "999", but that means I'd miss "Gemini Rue" or some other game that I would have played instead.
Earlier, you mentioned presentation and production value. FYI, both 999 and Ghost Trick have better presentation and a heck of a lot more production value than Gemini Rue...

And I loved Gemini Rue...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #36

I guess we all have to agree to disagree on this one. Story trumps all for my tastes, I'm willing to look past a lot of flaws if the story is good. It's just that, there always seems to be that one game that interests me more on other platforms. DS games don't seem to have as mature stories or presentation and that notion has taken root over the years, thus making me maybe biased towards DS games. "999" might have better production values and mature subject matter, but the presentation is anime versus "Gemini Rue's" more gritty presentation. It all comes down to personal tastes and DS usually doesn't offer much for mine.

I won't upgrade to DSi XL because of the few games I'll play on it over the years. With 3DS....I'll probably get it at one point in the future as there are some games coming out that have caught my attention. First I need to work on my backlog.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #37

For a handheld, the DS did an amazing job of producing a fantastic catalog of adventure games.

For me, it's the touch screen interaction - I just love it - makes the adventure games for me. With the Dsi XL, many adventure games take advantage of the cameras and actually have you solve puzzles using them.

However, some people love PC games and I can understand that. The platform that really didn't have as many adventure games as I thought it would was the PS3 - very few, but what ones it did get are amazingly good. The PS2 had quite a few adventure games.

I think in the next few years we'll see the 3DS generate a solid catalog of adventure games. So - your choice of a 3DS should be a solid one. The graphics on the 3DS just floor me for being a handheld.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekelly View Post
For a handheld, the DS did an amazing job of producing a fantastic catalog of adventure games.

For me, it's the touch screen interaction - I just love it - makes the adventure games for me. With the Dsi XL, many adventure games take advantage of the cameras and actually have you solve puzzles using them.

However, some people love PC games and I can understand that. The platform that really didn't have as many adventure games as I thought it would was the PS3 - very few, but what ones it did get are amazingly good. The PS2 had quite a few adventure games.

I think in the next few years we'll see the 3DS generate a solid catalog of adventure games. So - your choice of a 3DS should be a solid one. The graphics on the 3DS just floor me for being a handheld.
Sounds like a given for the iPad to be honest, but guess what? We still don't have as many great games on the DS over on the mobile platform. By that, I mean the idea to create a game to fit the touch interface, not the touch interface fit the game. Come on, larger screen, better resolution and better sound, better network capabilities, etc. Surprised its so hard for people to make games for a mobile platform without resulting to generic puzzles and platforming games.

In terms of games on the DS, I found that most of the use of puzzle design is most inspirational. In the current project i'm working on, I wanted to focus a lot on creative and non-repetitive puzzle design without falling for the 'casual' game direction. Professor Layton was a great example, and Ghost Trick proved that things don't have to be as obvious like most puzzles.

Ghost Trick was a pleasure to play. Gameplay trumps everything, even though I thought the story was just plain AWESOME. It was fun to see what each object does, see how it affects the scene, and if you fail redo it with a different approach. It was 'Crazy Machines' with an adventure remix.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #39

More awards for Ghost Trick. Nintendo gave Ghost Trick the following awards: Game of the year, DS. Best Story - DS Game. Best Graphics - Ds game. Total sales for the game are actually very solid with over 280,000 units sold.

Someone in Japan has a wall full of awards - and that's just for Ghost Trick alone. I can't recall another game - adventure or otherwise getting this many awards.

Also, just announced - Zero Escape Virtue's Last Reward (999 Part 2) will be released on the 3DS on 10-24-12.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 03-12-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo