You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #21

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

I remember one being lost to the sea, one being found (in the game) and the last one was the one we were all confused about.

Last edited by stepurhan; 01-10-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
Stalker of Britain

I could be wrong of course, but I thought when in the museum, Nigel commented at the statues of the three kings with the three crowns about the Norman invasion melting down the other crown...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #23

Ican't wait to play this game,where to find it?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #24

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I could be wrong of course, but I thought when in the museum, Nigel commented at the statues of the three kings with the three crowns about the Norman invasion melting down the other crown...
May be the old wise youtube can solve the mystery.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionsport View Post
Ican't wait to play this game,where to find it?
It's not relesed yet. But do play The Lost Crown. It's wonderful!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #26
gib

I can't wait for this game. hopefully the voice acting and (even though I thought the way the characters moved added to the games eerie atmosphere) character animations will be a lot better but more importantly hopefully it'll support larger screen resolutions.

I'm giving The Lost Crown another play through and I'm having to play it like this

I have the same problem with Dark Fall: Lost Souls. I wish now that I had kept my old vista laptop when I bought a new one.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
I'm having to play it like this
You mean windowboxed? Hmm how unusual. I can understand the pillarboxing in order to preserve the aspect ratio, but the futher letterboxing is just unnecessary. I wonder why the computer would do that. Are you perhaps runnning the desktop at a low resolution? Try setting the desktop resolution at the TV's native resolution (1280x720? 1920x1080?), and see what happens when you open the game. You should be hoping that the pillarboxing is preserved, but the image should be scaled up in order to eliminate the letterboxing.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #28
gib

It's at my tv's native 1920x1080

but I've just been messing around trying different things and I've solved the problem. I've connected the pc my tv via VGA rather than HDMI and lowered the resolution to 1024x768 and the game is now displaying in full screen as it should be. The same goes for Dark Fall

I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway
Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
I've connected the pc my tv via VGA rather than HDMI and lowered the resolution to 1024x768 and the game is now displaying in full screen as it should be.
Good thinking. You got me curious now, I shall try playing Lost Crown on my TV as well, except my TV doesn't have VGA. I'm stuck with HDMI. Good luck, me.

Last edited by ZeframCochrane; 01-12-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #30

Quote:
I can't wait for this game. hopefully the voice acting and (even though I thought the way the characters moved added to the games eerie atmosphere) character animations will be a lot better
Hopefully the voice acting will be exactly the same as before.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #31
Ag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Hopefully the voice acting will be exactly the same as before.
Exactly the same? I didn't feel the voice acting was that bad, but there were elements that could be improved imo. I think the recycling of dialogue "Is there any body there...", "Symbolic images or ancient graffiti?"..so many little sentences that repeated over and over kinda spoiled the atmosphere at times, and it was compounded by the fact you couldn't skip dialogue

Re the pauses in sentences, overall I quite liked how the voice actor tried to make the conversations sound realistic, as people do pause as they think of what they're saying and it might have been to increase the atmosphere or the suspense (like telling a hammy ghost story). But I do think it was overdone at times, again especially because you couldn't skip it

The Lost Crown is a game I would like to play again, but even as I played it I knew it would be a one time thing for me, simply because some elements were a chore because you couldn't skip dialogue, and you had to wait for animations to finish before gaining control of your character, and sometimes you couldn't double click to instantly move to the next scene
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #32
Stalker of Britain

I believe Mr. Boakes has learned his lesson (somewhat) and I remember him saying after "The Lost Crown" that he would allow dialogue skips, so we won't have to hear "Next stop...Norway" every time we accidently click.

I for one, though, enjoy his weird pauses, but I know I'm in the minority. I can't wait for this game, but I can if it will make it better. I do hope we see/hear soething about Mr. Gruel, though...I really liked him, and I still think he wasn't the
Spoiler:
culprit
, although Boakes said he was.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag1 View Post
Exactly the same? I didn't feel the voice acting was that bad, but there were elements that could be improved imo. I think the recycling of dialogue "Is there any body there...", "Symbolic images or ancient graffiti?"..so many little sentences that repeated over and over kinda spoiled the atmosphere at times, and it was compounded by the fact you couldn't skip dialogue

No, not exactly the same... the characters should read different lines this time

Seriosuly though, I completely agree with what you say, but that's not a fault with the voice acting, just poor game design. Dialogue should always be skippable.

To be honest, I had no aesthetic / artistic problems with the game whatsoever; it absorbed me completely, one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I have ever played. My only problems were some of the design issues: the ones you mention above, the limited save game slots, some rubbish puzzles that were solved in less than a minute simply through trial and error. There was one puzzle that I 'solved' simply by pressing each button to see what it did, by chance doing it in an order that solved the puzzle! Ridiculous... and then there was that unsatisfactory ending.

Actually, one commonly criticized design issue is the sloooow speed the player character moves at... however double clicking the exits moves the character automatically to the next screen... but so many people seem unaware of this. How can that be? It seems like a good example of herd mentality regarding criticism to me: a lot of people hear it mentioned and quote it themselves verbatim, unaware that actually, there is a skip function. Makes you wonder how much attention a lot of reviewers (pro and amateur) actually pay to the games they review doesn't it?

I do believe that the usual criticism of the voice acting stems partly from this herd mentality too (I don't refer to you here AG1, i know it is entirely your own viewpoint; this is a more general point I am making). It really isnt that bad at all and certainly has far more character than the voice acting in most games. I mean, I like David Gasman but I really don't need every male character to sound like him. There is a certain hectoring tone to this particular criticism, where it gets presented as fact rather than opinion: "oh, well obviously they need to sort out the voice acting and the character animations and how slowly the character walks." That was why I was quite glib with my original response to AG1, though from your follow up post I know that you weren't just bandwagon jumping.

Personally, the voice acting was actually one of the things that really drew me into the game initially; it complemented the surreal atmosphere very well. It was distinctive and unsettling. Yes, I woudl be very happy with more of the same!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #34

OK I just finished the game and there was no mention of the other 2 crowns other than there were 3 crowns shown on the links leading to the legend. Does anybody know exactly where and when you are supposed to find this out? Also how do you go about freeing some of the ghosts (like in the Fen Eye cavern)? And is there a way to accuse the right person of the catnapping before he's actually caught?

"Bring back the Sacred Diamond of the Old Sage of the Mountain and he will give you the magic talisman. Oh man. What am I in a video game?" - Tyler Miles
Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #35
Stalker of Britain

No, when you call into the catnapper line, you can accuse many people, but not the right one.

You don't really help the ghosts in the Fen, besides Emily. You free lots of ghosts, but some are just left behind. Maybe we'll get a crack at them in the second game.

Now, I'm not exactly sure where it's said about the three crowns story, but I'm pretty sure you find out about it somewhere in the museum. I'm pretty darn sure it was mentioned by someone that one's lost to the sea (maybe the one we find on the island in the new game?), one burned in the Normandy invasion (I swear, I remember them saying this!), and a "lost" one, which is the one we find in the first game.

And I just have to reitterate the point; why are Lucy and Nigel going for the second crown in "The Last Crown" when they found out it was a bad idea in the first game?! That's really getting to me.

And maybe the new game is called "The Last Crown", because we found one of them, and the other one was melted down...
Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #36

Quote:
And I just have to reitterate the point; why are Lucy and Nigel going for the second crown in "The Last Crown" when they found out it was a bad idea in the first game?! That's really getting to me.
Perhaps they don't actively go looking for it... maybe they they don't even know there's a crown involved until they're too deep in it? From what I gather from the website, all they seem to be signing up for is some healthy ghost hunting on Hallowed Isle...
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #37

Loved the Lost Crown, greatly looking forward to this. It's on my buy it the second it comes out list.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #38

Quote:

)

Perhaps the spirits (or whatever) implore them to find the missing crown to return it to its rightful place in saxton, or somesuch.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #39

Like most contributors, looking forward greatly to the game. It seems a few people are unsure of the provenance of mythopoesis behind the crowns. It is from a short story by M.R. James called A Warning to the Curious. The opening elucidates on the Saxton crowns: 'one was melted down, one was lost to the encroaching sea and one was buried.' The latter is the one that we attempt to find in The Lost Crown. I suspect the crown lost at sea is what we'll be attempting to find in this next installment. As Boakes has stated that there may be a few games with these protagonists, it wouldn't be above the realms of imagination to imagine the third is to find the crown that was melted down...perhaps remoulded into some other precious artefact! And a game following this, where all three crowns were sought to create some kind of supernatural device. Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself!!
The immersive nature of TLC made it really stand out IMHO. And so I am excited, not so much by the adventure per se, but the whole idea of being able to explore Saxton once more - especially venturing into places I haven't previously been.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #40

The crown of the oldest king, father to the other two, was melted down by the Norman invaders. Presumably this was a way to demonstrate how the old Saxon kings had been dethroned, their rulership over Britain ended. (William the Conqueror didn't need this crown to wear, he'd brought his own from the continent.)

The crown of Ganwulf, the son who'd ruled the Carrion Wood, is the one that was found in the first game. As it's the only one that was neither destroyed nor lost at sea, this is the one that the Agers guarded for centuries, and that the local population came to rely upon as their sole protection against hostile supernatural forces. That doesn't necessarily mean it's unique in that respect: either of the other two crowns might work just as well for that purpose, if they really are a shield against evil magics. Possibly, if the crown of Ganwulf gets stolen again at the beginning of "The Last Crown" and can't be retrieved, Nigel and Lucy might have to locate the third crown as a substitute, to keep darkness from plaguing Saxton again.

The crown of the son who ruled the coast is said to have been "lost to the sea", along with his kingdom. Presumably some great flood or disaster (a tsunami?) washed away the coastline where he'd once ruled. As the new game is subtitled, "Haunting of Hallowed Isle", it's a safe bet that Nigel and Lucy will be exploring an island that was once attached to the mainland, prior to this catastrophe. The last crown might be hidden there, or it might offer clues with which they can dredge it up from the seabed nearby. Either way, if they retrieve it, it could be kept in Saxton in a place of honor -- maybe in Ganwulf's tomb, maybe just in the museum -- to renew the town's protection.

Just an idea, to explain why Nigel would be back to chasing crowns after he messed things up so badly the first time he took one.