You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #1

Default The 2011 Outlook

Is it me or does next year not look TOO great for adventure games?

Sure, this year we were spoiled with Grey Matter, Whispered World, Back to the Future, etc. But looking at this site's Hype O Meter, I just don't see anything that I'm excited for.

OK, now is this part where y'all prove me wrong and make me feel better ...
Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Grue Master

I know what you mean Indy

Here is a list that I am interested in that are suppose to release in 2011...

Braken Tor: Time of Tooth and Claw
Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok
Blue Madonna

Conspiracies 2 (supposed release of Easter Time)
Alpha Polaris
Asylum
Black Mirror 3
Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting
Decay
J.U.L.I.A.
Prominence
Last Half of Darknes: Serpent Moon
Coven
The Last Crown
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 AM   #3

If I only judge by the preview graphics ( top left link in the second row, easy to overlook for a n00b):

* Mile of Cry(ing): ... looks like every pixel has been lovingly honed for maximum destructive effect.
* Phobos - 1953: This should be a real, and I mean real, scary story
* Face Noir
* J.U.L.I.A.
* Lucius: Nice socially ruinous game plot, but Damien is a 1:1 ripoff
* Heaven's Hope: I should post this here, too:
In a moment of inattention, Talorel, angel-candidate and student at the academy for stunt flying, broke through the heavenly barrier and then the cloud cover, hitting hard on the surface of the earth near the town of “Heaven’s Hope”.
A story like that deserves your attention!

Last edited by Hoipolloi; 12-31-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #4

im looking forward to the sequel of book of unwritten tales, and maybe Haunted will finally be released. and maybe a new update of a lucasarts adventure? what about the jurassic park franchise from telltale (is that even gonna be an adventure?). what about Asylum, that should be good. or how about the lost crown 2. possibly the sequel to "edna and harvey" (or whatever its called outside germany). theres some good stuff coming out
Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

There are the quasi-adventures Stacking and Portal 2, the rest of Back to the Future and Layton vs Wright (though no word on an english version yet).
Old 12-31-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131 View Post
Sure, this year we were spoiled with Grey Matter, Whispered World, Back to the Future, etc. But looking at this site's Hype O Meter, I just don't see anything that I'm excited for.
If you liked the Whispered World you should be looking forward to Edna and Harevey: The Breakout.

Greyfuss, I emailed Nick Bruton about Coven a few monts ago. His reply: Coven was intended to be our next game, but we currently have no planned date for its release. If these plans change, we'll make an announcement in the press.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #7

a few daedalic titles are coming, edna and harvey and a new beginning, not to mention deponia in german i imagine.

cant wait for english version of book of unwritten tales.

whats the last crown? any relation to the lost crown?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #8

The Last Crown a direct sequel to The Lost Crown. Haven't played the former yet, so I can't say I'm super-excited. Yet.

Since my pre-ordered version of Grey Matter still hasn't been released (way to go, Lace Mamba ) I'm still looking forward to it. Also, if some of Daedalic's titles will be released in English next year, those are definite instant buys for me as well.

I actually don't worry to much if there aren't many new titles on the horizon. There are always many of the old classics left to play. Oh, and Telltale's regular releases of course.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 AM   #9

For me, this year wasn't so rich in great new titles as 2009. though I've still played several excelent games. The same goes for 2011. In my signature, I've listed the titles I look foward the most.

@ldrisguitar, "Last Crown" is the upcoming sequel to the "Lost Crown", though I'm not sure will it be released during the next year. Personally, as a big fan of "Lost Crown", I'm eagerly expecting this game, though some of Boakes plans for it (as I've read in some interview with him), don't appeal to me much.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Grue Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Greyfuss, I emailed Nick Bruton about Coven a few monts ago. His reply: Coven was intended to be our next game, but we currently have no planned date for its release. If these plans change, we'll make an announcement in the press.
You may be right Fien. I was only going by the last bit of news I read which is from February 2010

Quote:
Welsh independent adventure developer Arberth Studios has laid out its plans for delivering its second title â€Coven’ in Quarter 4 of 2010.

Arberth’s spokesman Noel Bruton comments, “There are three essential dates in the schedule. The first is the beginning of the second quarter, when the gameplay demo will go to prospective publishers as their opportunity to take part in the project. The second is the Gold Master target date - we have 20th September in mind. The third is the release – and for that we’re aiming to achieve the end of October 2010.”
Arberth is actively seeking publishers for all territories, and hopes that setting the dates out like this will
give the channels an opportunity to prepare. “A key element of the company’s strategy for â€Coven’ is a
simultaneous launch in English, French, German, Italian and Russian. We acknowledge that publishers may wish to undertake the localization themselves, but it’s always handy to have more than one string to your bow. There are gamers in France, Germany and Italy who have already offered to help us with localization, and they will start receiving text in Quarter 2”.
With the collapse of some of its publishing channels in 2009, Arberth turned its hand to self-publishing its
first title â€Rhiannon’ in the UK, Germany, France and Canada, while seeking new outlets in the US. This
now gives the company the option of putting Coven too through these direct routes to market, although a formal publishing relationship can have benefits. As Bruton says, “Some players prefer to buy a box in a shop. For that, a publisher with the right expertise and channel contacts is one practical solution.”
For Coven, as well as considerable gameplay augmentations, Arberth’s reputation for strong story lines
will be further enhanced. The writers are creating an even deeper story than in â€Rhiannon’, including themes and topics rarely if ever explored in an adventure game. Arberth believes that the PC adventure genre is unique in being able to deliver challenging, relevant puzzles among solid, sophisticated, interactive drama. In keeping with this, Coven’s plot will be more like that of a movie than a computer game.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #11
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

I'm looking forward to some adventure games 2011. First, Black Mirror 3. Grey Matter does also looks interesting. Then we have "Broken Sword 5" (at least a new Broken Sword game) which might be out 2011. And there is also a brand new game from Revolution (non-Broken Sword) due to be released in the summer of 2011 if I'm right, which sounds interesting.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #12

Deadalic sure has gained a lot of spotlight this past year....that's a good thing!!!I also await their new games...Is that about deponia only released in German true??If so that's a shame.
For BS5 i doubt it's gonna be released in 2011 after all only recently did we find out they want to make it 2D and since they have the BS2 remake and the nonBroken Sword game to release i doubt they're gonna be able to finish them all to start and finish BS5.After all they don't have studios so they probably won't be developing simultaneous games and if they are they will only be those two.BS5 isn't even official yet.As far as that post in their site is concerned that Moderator said that if they were to do a BS5 and that is if....they would like to do a proper 2D BS.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21 View Post
For BS5 i doubt it's gonna be released in 2011 after all only recently did we find out they want to make it 2D and since they have the BS2 remake and the nonBroken Sword game to release i doubt they're gonna be able to finish them all to start and finish BS5.After all they don't have studios so they probably won't be developing simultaneous games and if they are they will only be those two.BS5 isn't even official yet.As far as that post in their site is concerned that Moderator said that if they were to do a BS5 and that is if....they would like to do a proper 2D BS.
Really?

Talking to founder Charles Cecil, he told us the company is working on three new games, although we shouldn't expect to be playing any of them until the summer of 2011.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Revolution+news/news.asp?c=25881

Old 12-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #14

It doesn't mean that they are working on all three though...just that they have already planned the next three projects.
Hey don't get me wrong i hope i'm wrong and they are.After all i'm a BS fan first and foremost.But i just can't see it three projects all at the same time.And it's not a company that has studios to have each work on one project.

Quote:
After the release of The Sleeping Dragon, the company decided to downsize, with elements of future projects to be outsourced. Charles Cecil, the managing director, explained that it was no longer viable for a small scale developer to do everything in house anymore, with costs being lower by hiring other companies for short periods.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #15

Default A Very Good Year For Me...

A VERY Good year - 2011 is going to be for me! Of course my main devise for playing adventure games is a Nintendo Dsi XL. But then again, there was a time I played my adventure games on a Commodore 128 and paid $69.95 for them too.

Here's my backlog of games to play in 2011 (as in bought in a Gamestop used game sale and waiting to be played):

Alice in Wonderland

Deadly Intent

Crimelab

Titanic

Dream Chronicles

Bachelor

Adventure games coming in 2011 I'm gunna buy:

Runaway 1, 2, 3

Secret Files 2

Prof Layndon 3, 4

A New Beginning

The Whispered Word

CSI Unsolved Cases

Tree of Life

Shuttered Island

Phoenix Wright 5, 6

The Open Window

AND MY ADVENTURE GAME FOR 2010 is - Again - Eye of Providence.

I have a feeling that 999 will win out in 2011 - just a feeling however:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999:_Ni...ns,_Nine_Doors

Oh and the 3DS comes out this year - could be interesting...

Last edited by Mikekelly; 12-31-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #16

I bet 2011 will bring us Syberia 3 :O (Even tho I don't like the series)

I'd like to see Alternativa's sequel.
also, a few remakes more, we already have monkey island 1 and 2, and there are other great games that deservers a good remake
What else....Asylum, now THATS interesting, plus, it's made by people from Argentina (where I'm from) so...it's twice the hype (?).
And HOPEFULLY a new game from Amanita Design...*crosses fingers*
Old 01-01-2011, 04:13 AM   #17

i agree about syberia 3 but i'd like sokal to be in the project.but nothing definitive has been announced.supposedly they are still in negotiations.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #18
Psychonaut

2011 looks like a pretty dreadful year adventure game wise, but hey 2010 sucked ass so I don't expect much.

Sadly.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #19
Replicant

Is Secret Files 3 due this year? I know they're working on it but not sure of release date.

I would be happy for anything of the quality of Lost Horizon this year. Fairly easy as it may be (doesn't bother me in AGs), it was one of the most genuinely enjoyable AG experiences I've had for years.

L.A. Noire also looks like it may be an "evolved" AG but is console exclusive and I only have a PC.

I hold out faint hope for a Heavy Rain PC port this year also.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
2011 looks like a pretty dreadful year adventure game wise, but hey 2010 sucked ass so I don't expect much.

Sadly.
I don't think this is true. I mean, you'll already get Edna & Harvey this January. What better way could the year start?
Of course, its quality depends heavily on localisation and voice acting. Edna is ALL about characters and their expressions. If they mess that up, the game won't be worth much. Bet let me say, I'd be happy if I could experience it again without the knowledge I already have of it!