You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Mature Rated Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
iddqd

Default Mature Rated Adventure Games

Since the growing trend of GTA style MAture rated games flooding the market, I was wondering if there was any adventure games like this, I can't really think of one myself. What I mean by mature games are games where your sole purpose is to become a crime boss and killing everyone in your way while pimping some hoes, vigilante justice, or something along those lines. I am not counting horror adventures because I know there are a few out there.

I was just curious if these games actually existed.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I think it would be pretty difficult to craft an enjoyable adventure game like that. What would you do, "Use gun with thug"?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-06-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream deals with some pretty heavy material, but the sadistic elements of the game are more involved with the scenario the characters you play find themselves in, and not decisions the characters themselves make or are supposed to make. Games like Grand Theft Auto seem to encourage the gamer to revel in the violence and sex. I don't know of an adventure game that encourages the player in the same way. Of course, Leisure Suit Larry revels in sex, but that doesn't seem to have the same graphic feel maybe that GTA has.

Last edited by Terabin; 04-06-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Use...chainsow...on...old lady.

Give...cash...to...Hooker.

Take...suspicious package...from...Ice Cream truck vendor.

See, it would work perfectly.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Zork: Nemesis was a pretty dark game, dealing with necromancy, multiple murders, medical experiments upon dead "parts", and other grim subject matters. I don't think it qualifies as "horror", more as a dark fantasy.

Also, the Police Quest games have some of those elements that you described above, I guess to emphasize the seriousness of law enforcement.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

"Looks like I've got one of your boys down in the morgue."

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-06-2004, 04:05 PM   #7

The Dagger of Amon Ra was rather gratuitous.

Wasn't Hopkins FBI a point & click adventure, btw? I never played it but the screenshots looked pretty gruesome.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
What I mean by mature games are games where your sole purpose is to become a crime boss and killing everyone in your way while pimping some hoes, vigilante justice, or something along those lines.
How is this mature?

-emily
Old 04-06-2004, 04:16 PM   #9
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
How is this mature?

-emily
Didn't you know? Only mature people do those things.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:31 PM   #10
x outphase x

Send a message via AIM to tomhimself Send a message via MSN to tomhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
The Dagger of Amon Ra was rather gratuitous.

Wasn't Hopkins FBI a point & click adventure, btw? I never played it but the screenshots looked pretty gruesome.

Haha.. I think I played that game when I was like 10, and couldn't get past the first bit where you saw a naked women impailed on a spike or something like that. Pretty gruesome
Old 04-06-2004, 05:42 PM   #11
iddqd

It looks like I need to clarify some points before this thread gets totally derailed.

First, what I mean by Mature (refering to the game rating system) are games that revolve around crime. Becoming the uber crime syndicate boss, taking out rival syndicates with the thug favorites of murder and mass destruction, a crime boss killing some dudes wife and he seeks retribution, that kind of thing. I don't see the difficulty in applying this to the adventure game genre, things would just have to be altered, but the idea, plot etc would remain the same.

I was just curious if these games existed, since there has been major popularity with GTA, Max Payne, Mafia etc franchises.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:20 PM   #12

Default A few.

I have quite a few adventure games that are rated M for Mature. Post Mortem deserved it's rating. It was very dark and Macabre, and the graphic images you see in the movie sequences are definitely very creepy.

The Black Mirror, which I'm currently playing and trying not to rush through it at the same time, feels pretty ominous right now, but I haven't really seen anything graphic other than a Nightmare movie sequence. It probably will get scary later on in the game.

I have a few other games that are rated M for Mature, which are Gabriel Knight 2 and 3, and Mystery of the Druids, but most of my other games are rated T-for Teen.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
what I mean by Mature (refering to the game rating system) are games that revolve around crime.
I knew what you meant, I was just giving you shit. I will never understand how GTA can be considered "mature" subject matter... seems more comical to me. I mean, I understand why the subject matter is rated that way... eh, forget it.

There are plenty of adventure games rated M. But I can't think of any that revolve around becoming a crime boss. More likely that the protagonist would be the one uncovering the crime ring. A Sopranos-style adventure game? That might be cool...

-emily

ps It's going to be hard to fit a large amount of killing into an adventure game and have it stay an adventure game, IMO... especially if you start giving the character opporunities to choose his weapons and such... action/adventure, maybe? But then it wouldn't be so different from the games you're describing (Mafia, etc.)
Old 04-06-2004, 10:26 PM   #14
guybrush_guy

what about phantasma gories, that involved mudrder, blood-guts, and had some nuditey in it. (i'm pritty sure it did)
the game definalty diserved the mature rating.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:30 PM   #15
LA-S-LE

Dreamweb - it has everything: sex, drugs, guns, nudity and explicit violence. It even was realised after awhile with some censored moments. Though, such moments didn't interfere with the gameplay, they just made the right atmosphere for a perfect game.
Also Rise of the Dragon was pretty mature.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:31 PM   #16
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I knew what you meant, I was just giving you shit. I will never understand how GTA can be considered "mature" subject matter... seems more comical to me. I mean, I understand why the subject matter is rated that way... eh, forget it.

There are plenty of adventure games rated M. But I can't think of any that revolve around becoming a crime boss. More likely that the protagonist would be the one uncovering the crime ring. A Sopranos-style adventure game? That might be cool...

-emily

ps It's going to be hard to fit a large amount of killing into an adventure game and have it stay an adventure game, IMO... especially if you start giving the character opporunities to choose his weapons and such... action/adventure, maybe? But then it wouldn't be so different from the games you're describing (Mafia, etc.)
I suppose it might be possible if you played a crime boss himself, and controlled the mobsters from behind the scenes. You'd need a damn good writer to make it hold up over time, though.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-07-2004, 02:46 AM   #17
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Writing a good adventure game, concerning a scenario, such as is suggested in this thread, would be difficult, but not impossible. I mean, Police Quest is much the same animal, from a different perspective.

Just like PQ 1 & 2 (never played 3, 4 or 5... Well, I basically stopped following when they changed authors), the gun aspect would need to be toned down. However, challenges like breaking into the Police Station to get a seized stash (ala The Longes Journey), personal interchanges (eg - getting something for someone) which result in gang-related info, and maybe escaping from captivity (ala Broken Sword 2), and maybe others, could be put together to make a fairly decent game.

It'd be a real challenge, and not something that could be pulled off easy, and that's probably why we haven't seen, at least to my knowledge, an adventure game anything like this.

Still, there's always the vain hope that somebody, via AGS, might be able to pull something like this off.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 04-07-2004, 03:13 AM   #18
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Gabriel Knight 2 had some pretty gross scenes in chapter V, and more were cut. The black mirror also has gory scenes later on in the game.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Gabriel Knight 2 had some pretty gross scenes in chapter V, and more were cut.
Cool. Do you know what was cut?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:06 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

i know the longest journey was NOT about crime but it was rated mature (i think they could have easily made this one teen if they would have taken out most uses of the f-word)