You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure STASIS, an indie adventure game.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #141

wtf you compose tracks too? a programmer/super-artist/musicant?

yeah I can see those tracks working pretty well for when solving puzzles.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #142

Hehhe-thanks man.
I try to learn as much as possible with every project I work on!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #143

Pyke, the music sounds fantastic and god damn, what a great shot with those neon signs! Again, reminds me of that cyberpunk/detective/mystery game idea I have in my head. Though silent, I'm always checking up on this game!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #144

This game is giving me very strong Dead Space vibes, from the setting, colour palette and even the title :-P
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #145

donatelli, I'm gonna be putting up a subscription thing to the webpage which will notify you of updates and shit...so you can silently follow with updates! ;D

orient, Im really LOVING Dead Space, so thats definitely a compliment!
I wrote a little 'thing' of Dead Space and STASIS here:

http://www.stasisgame.com/on-the-shoulders-of-giants/

More updates are coming guys. I promise!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #146
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrLOL View Post
wtf you compose tracks too? a programmer/super-artist/musicant?

yeah I can see those tracks working pretty well for when solving puzzles.
OK, I officially hate you now!

Joke dude...

Is there anything you can't do? Damn!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #147

Default Updates! And stuff.

http://www.stasisgame.com/medical-bay/

I have been busy with the first chapter of the game, which is full of ‘introduction areas’. More industrial places…train stations, tracks, elevator shafts. While its awesome to have these areas, because it really does build suspence, and give you the impression of going deeper into the ship-they can get a bit boring to build.
So, I jumped the gun a little, and went into the medical bays. These will be in the early parts of chapter 2, or the late parts of chapter 1, depending on a few story, and ‘flow’ related things….but trust me when I say that when you eventually get to the medical bays, they will be AWESOME.
Something thats rather difficult in a game like this, specifically one where the character is, for all purposes, alone, is how to get information across in an interesting way. For a while, I toyed around with the idea that there are some survivors on board that you find, and while I’m not discounting that entirely, to find survivors this early on in the game would really be counter productive to the atmosphere in the game. You are completely alone. You must FEEL completely alone.
Now there is also the computer terminals to get information…but thats a bit boring. This is Science Fiction dammit! Ships logs can be done in a pirate game. Its not unique enough to the genre! There ARE computer teriminals in STASIS but again, I really want to make them…different.
HOLOGRAMS.

There is a scene in Lost In Space, and Final Fantasy, where they are performing surgery through a holographic interface. Holograms just ‘go’ in Sci Fi-so if I can find a place to put them in STASIS, Im going to!
I thought about how beneficial it would be for a doctor to be able to record, in high detail, a surgery. Be able to walk around it, see what was done. Now imagine how scary that would be, if you discovered a recording of that surgery….when the patient wakes up, mid surgery, with nobody around them. I have a fear of hospitals, and waking up during surgery, so this was right up my ‘shit that creeps me out’ alley!
THE DESIGN

I first built the bed, with the surgical consoles and robotic arm thing hanging above it. The room was then built around the bed.
The ‘rays’ from the center of the room are channels to allow blood to flow into drainage systems under the room. The center ‘disk’ was originally supposed to rotate into place, but that just became way to memory intensive.
IS ANYONE THERE?
The actual surgery was built around something that I find…disturbing. Cutting a man in half, and having him complain that he cant feel his legs…having him plead to just let him walk out. I lined up the hologram so that the skeletons eyes are almost fixed on the PLAYER, and when the hologram turns his head it lines up with the skulls eye sockets. The effect is subtle, but adds to the disturbing nature.
Something to note is that from the surgical terminal, you will be able to call up different recordings. It will work through simple DIALOG tree system. Each recording will have some different information in it, be it ‘mission specific’ or just recordings that set the tone of the game.
A NOTE ON SOUND

The voice overs is again, me with a mic. Ill be looking for actual voice artists to do the voices, but for now we are stuck with my voice and pitch changes!
I have set up the sound tho that, I just have to replace the sound file, and the rest of the scene will play out no matter the length of that file. This helps, not only for replacing the sound with ‘actual’ actors voices, but also for localisation. If a sentence is longer, or shorter, the rest of the scene just dynamically adjusts itself to fit.
IN ACTION:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKURJ-IexM&feature=player_embedded

-Chris
Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #148

pretty creepy is this going to form part of a puzzle or is it just scenery? Your voice really reminds me of one from an old Amiga game, maybe Valhalla Lords of Infinity..

I do think though, that the skeleton is far too clean. I'm not entirely sure if a body would actually fully decompose in a sterile environment like a surgical theatre in the first place, but if it did i'd imagine there'd be "people juice" staining the table and floor all around it and the alternative would be for the corpse to dessicate or mummify.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #149

it's been a long time since i checked your thread out.and the latest screenshots blew me away.it looks really original.there is a feeling of realism in the graphics.it almost looks real.very good quality.
i'll have to read every post till now to tell you further but it looks damn good.
keep it up
Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #150

Hi Pyke, new member here, for starters I would just like to add my voice to the long list of people here admiring your work.

As I as reading through the threads I felt my excitement for this game rising. The visuals look stunning and the whole setting very creepy and eerie (specially liked the surgery bit....yikes!)!

The whole Sci-Fi setting seems really interesting. An abandoned ship to explore, the Groomlake, where science experimentation runs without restrains, is a theme that I really like to see unfold, because, the whole possibility of it it makes you go "What if?" (made me remember about the Fringe TV Series).

The different death possibilities are another positive (and fun!) addition. I couldn't help a chuckle when I was seeing your video (and the whole PorkyPig-kinda-of music that was playing was a bonus to the fun factor).

And another thing... I've recently bought Dead Space out of curiosity (I found it dirt cheap in a large retail store), is has been sitting in the pile of unplayed games and I had intented to let it wait there a little more.... from what I've seen of your game, I'm feeling more curious regarding Dead Space and I guess I'm puting it more to the top of the pile!

As other users have mad already, I also want to offer my help for testing when/if that occurs. I've been very away from gaming these past years and I'm slowly creeping out of the rocks, I'll definitely be paying attention to this one!

Last edited by TechnoSpike; 04-13-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 AM   #151

Hey Pyke, so I tried to play The Next Big Thing demo today and realized that my laptop started to fade to oblivion. Can you tell us the minimum requirements that your game will have? I mean I have an Intel T2080 @1.73 GHz (2 cores), 1Gb of ram and (the worst part) a Mobile Intel 945 express empedded card. Am I going to be able to play your game? I hope so!!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #152
It's Hard To Be Humble

As always, looking great, Pyke. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #153

marcd2011,

The hologram recordings hold information that you will need to break into a medical srotage unit, to get access to a bone saw, to.....well...ill leave it at that.
Im just going to take that as a compliment about my voice!

Ive added in some juices and stuff to the newly revised scene...

jhetfield21

Thanks for taking the time to check on STASIS. There is more to come, so stay tuned.

TechnoSpike

Thanks for the compliments man, Knowing people are creeped out by this means Im doing somehting right.
If you have a weekend spare, load up DeadSpace, put on some headphones, and enjoy the ride! It really is a masterpiece of a game.

Geothing

If you can play any of the previous recent AG's, you should have no problem playing STASIS. Im being very careful with the memory management of the game, to make certain it runs on as many machines as possible.
Its using the same engine as A WHISPERED WORLD, so if that game ran fine, so will STASIS. The game doesnt have any 3D graphics in it, and apart from the dust particles, no massively complex special effects.

Lee in Limbo,

Thanks man.

UPDATES!

Here is the new medical bay, remodeled through suggestions from the community.

In motion(ish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEjHP...layer_embedded

And a link to the blog post which goes into a little more detail about the whats and whys.

http://www.stasisgame.com/updated-medical-bay/
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #154
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcd2011 View Post
pretty creepy is this going to form part of a puzzle or is it just scenery? Your voice really reminds me of one from an old Amiga game, maybe Valhalla Lords of Infinity..

I do think though, that the skeleton is far too clean. I'm not entirely sure if a body would actually fully decompose in a sterile environment like a surgical theatre in the first place, but if it did i'd imagine there'd be "people juice" staining the table and floor all around it and the alternative would be for the corpse to dessicate or mummify.
I'm pretty sure that scene hasn't been textured mapped yet...

Pyke, dude, you simply rock man!! This looks better then a lot of "big houses" adventures, and if the story/character are well developed I believe you'll have quite the gem!!

Keep up the good work man!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #155

Thanks Marvio.

I'm really working on the story quite hard. I think its pretty damned cool! Ive also intertwined Maracheck quite heavily into the story, trying to make him more than just an avatar-but an integral part of what is happening.

Something which I've been working on is bringing the captains back story quite heavily into the game story. Not to give anything away, but he is a war veteran, who was involved in liberation of some quite horrific death camps-and those memories will come back to haunt him...
Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #156

Great work Pyke! The updated medical bay looks really like a bad place to visit now!

I like your idea of working for a feel of surgical hall and not a slaughter house vibe, like you say... Sure, crazy people are scary... but organized, pure-science driven, with a mixture of psycho are a whole level of scariness! (again, I face myself thinking about Fringe, scientists ignoring the moral aspects of thing, just to push science boundaries).

The movie looks cool, I specially like the screen's static, it adds up to tension... Any chance of reducing the sound of the fans (or maybe even not moving them , at all, after all, in a unused ship, some stuff will eventually run out...)? In my humble opinion, I think they are a bit too loud and kill the mood of the scene...

Just one more thing... the dry blood going to the second hole (the one in the right), shouldn't the patterns of the blood start from the middle of the table? Right now, they seem to be coming from the beginning of the table, which I guess would happen if a head was removed, and not the legs.... Or am I missing something here? Perhaps there's an inclination and I'm not realizing? Or is the blood just there to represent previous "operations"?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #157
It's Hard To Be Humble

Looking good, Pyke.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #158

I love the redesign of the medical bay Pyke, amazing work!

Can't wait!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #159

TechnoSpike,

Thanks man. The fan sounds have been redone to line up with the fans actual spinning of them, and have become quite a bit more subtle.
The fans having power is part of one of the games puzzles, as a way to show that the ship still has various emergency generators running. Something I've noticed is that when you have these little 'things' happening, when you make them stop suddenly, its quite jarring. Having the background noise, and then suddenly complete silence is a very cool thing.

Ill adjust the blood for the next set of renders.

Lee, Donatelli, thanks guys.

2 New updates (well, 1 update, and 1 request for some help!).

http://www.stasisgame.com/cinematic-the-groomlake/

Ah, the slow spaceship reveal. Every epic Sci Fi needs one!
Here are some shots from the (unfinished) intro cinematic. Just thought you guys would like to get a look at the place nightmares are made real.
I was inspired by the miniatures from my favorite film, Aliens, aswell as the ship design of The Event Horizon – which I think its the coolest ship EVER.
Something I thought was pretty cool was the idea that the skin of the ship isn’t nessearily refined metal, but rather some sort of mined asteroid slate. It has the properties of metal sheets, but also has a slight ‘organic’ quality to it. Not really story specific, but just something that came about while modeling this bad boy.
Im trying to get that ‘filmed model’ feel to the ship, degrading the image a little…adding in some nice noise and grain, and grading it a sickly green instead of the ‘usual’ space blue.
Scale wise, its pretty difficult to tell without a point of reference. The final scene will have The Hawking, giving you a sense of the massive scale of the ship. The main ‘shaft’ of the ship holds everything, from crew quarters to medical labs. The ‘front’ of the ship is all operations and refinement and recycling. The mid dock (where the two Egyptian looking crest things are) is the docking bay, with everything behind that housing the engines. Percentage wise, the engines are probably about 30% of the ship.
Otheriwse, I just wanted to design something that looks cool…and I think it looks pretty.

http://www.stasisgame.com/brightness/

Hey guys,
Really quick request from me! Could you please click on the below chart, and let me know on which line the writing is *just* visible..so in effect, the next line to the right you wouldn’t be able to read anything.
This is to set a brightness benchmark for the average monitor, so I know how bright or dark to make the scenes.
Just leave a comment below with your result! Thanks!

-Chris
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #160

Pyke, for me line EIGHT is barely visible. Dell 24" LCD screen...nothing spectacular.